From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: How to switch between apps in Android 8
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:24:48 +0000
 by: Woody - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:24 UTC

My wife does not like smartphones so for message purposes anything for
her is delivered to my smartphone.

The local hospital (or is it the NHS?) has recently started using what I
presume is 2FA when accessing appointments/letters etc. The sequence is:-

Text arrives. Text has hyperlink to the NHS patienthub web page. Follow
hyperlink.
The web page asks you to enter the mobile number to which the link was
sent, and you date of birth.
It then sends you another text with a six digit code which has to be
entered on the patienthub web page.

Question: How do I get back to the message app to read the code, and
then how do I return to the (Google Chrome) browser to enter the code in
the appointed page?

I know this will be a simple answer but it baffles me as I cannot find a
way to do the return step.

Mobile is Huawei P8Lite (2017) running Android 8 on GiffGaff.

Re: How to switch between apps in Android 8

<l41bohFkkt1U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14987&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14987

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: How to switch between apps in Android 8
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:29:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:29 UTC

Woody wrote:

> Question: How do I get back to the message app to read the code, and
> then how do I return to the (Google Chrome) browser to enter the code in
> the appointed page?

Task switchung is one of those activities which often gets customised by
the manufacturer, or may vary depending if you have chosen a
button-based interface, or a gesture-based interface.

> I know this will be a simple answer but it baffles me as I cannot find a
> way to do the return step.
>
> Mobile is Huawei P8Lite (2017) running Android 8 on GiffGaff.

<https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1232193/Huawei-P8-Lite.html?page=35>

Re: How to switch between apps in Android 8

<l41c4vFp510U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14988&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14988

From: mar...@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:36:28 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:36 UTC

On 25/02/2024 17:24, Woody wrote:
> My wife does not like smartphones so for message purposes anything for
> her is delivered to my smartphone.
>
> The local hospital (or is it the NHS?) has recently started using what I
> presume is 2FA when accessing appointments/letters etc. The sequence is:-
>
> Text arrives. Text has hyperlink to the NHS patienthub web page. Follow
> hyperlink.
> The web page asks you to enter the mobile number to which the link was
> sent, and you date of birth.
> It then sends you another text with a six digit code which has to be
> entered on the patienthub web page.
>
> Question: How do I get back to the message app to read the code, and
> then how do I return to the (Google Chrome) browser to enter the code in
> the appointed page?
>
> I know this will be a simple answer but it baffles me as I cannot find a
> way to do the return step.
>
> Mobile is Huawei P8Lite (2017) running Android 8 on GiffGaff.

I've just tried Patienthub from a text they sent me last year.

Click on the link, my browser opens, I enter the mobile number, and DOB,
and it sends me an SMS, while changing to a page that has 6 empty boxes
waiting for a six digit code . On my phone, the SMS appears at the top
of the screen as a pop up. I enter the code displayed into the boxes,
and all good ?

If that doesn't happen for you, minimise the browser ap, and maximise
the SMS one ?

Re: How to switch between apps in Android 8

<urfv2h$1vuhm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14989&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14989

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:57:35 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 17:57 UTC

On 25/02/2024 17:24, Woody wrote:
> My wife does not like smartphones so for message purposes anything for
> her is delivered to my smartphone.
>
> The local hospital (or is it the NHS?) has recently started using what I
> presume is 2FA when accessing appointments/letters etc. The sequence is:-
>
> Text arrives. Text has hyperlink to the NHS patienthub web page. Follow
> hyperlink.
> The web page asks you to enter the mobile number to which the link was
> sent, and you date of birth.
> It then sends you another text with a six digit code which has to be
> entered on the patienthub web page.
>
> Question: How do I get back to the message app to read the code, and
> then how do I return to the (Google Chrome) browser to enter the code in
> the appointed page?
>
> I know this will be a simple answer but it baffles me as I cannot find a
> way to do the return step.
>
> Mobile is Huawei P8Lite (2017) running Android 8 on GiffGaff.

You asked almost exactly the same question less than a year ago, my
answer then is appended ...

Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)
On 23/08/2023 19:42, Woody wrote:
> I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and
messages.

> The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.

> It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
means of a second text and I have 2½ minutes to complete the access
sequence.

> This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text
whilst keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data
already entered?

Hopefully, the way that I would try to do it on my Android phablet ...

If the Messages app is already/still open from reading the first text,
the area to the left of the Home button contains a 'soft' button to
display all the apps currently running in a similar manner to <Alt-Tab>
in Windows. You can select the Messages app from there and read and/or
copy the code. Then you can use the same button to switch back to the
browser to enter it. Even if you closed down the Messages app after
reading the first SMS, you should be able to press the Home button,
relaunch Messages, and then use the above method to get back to the
browser in the same state that you left it.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: How to switch between apps in Android 8

<l41j7eFp510U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14990&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14990

From: mar...@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:37:18 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 19:37 UTC

On 25/02/2024 17:57, Java Jive wrote:
> On 25/02/2024 17:24, Woody wrote:
>> My wife does not like smartphones so for message purposes anything for
>> her is delivered to my smartphone.
>>
>> The local hospital (or is it the NHS?) has recently started using what
>> I presume is 2FA when accessing appointments/letters etc. The sequence
>> is:-
>>
>> Text arrives. Text has hyperlink to the NHS patienthub web page.
>> Follow hyperlink.
>> The web page asks you to enter the mobile number to which the link was
>> sent, and you date of birth.
>> It then sends you another text with a six digit code which has to be
>> entered on the patienthub web page.
>>
>> Question: How do I get back to the message app to read the code, and
>> then how do I return to the (Google Chrome) browser to enter the code
>> in the appointed page?
>>
>> I know this will be a simple answer but it baffles me as I cannot find
>> a way to do the return step.
>>
>> Mobile is Huawei P8Lite (2017) running Android 8 on GiffGaff.
>
> You asked almost exactly the same question less than a year ago, my
> answer then is appended ...
>
> Problem with texts and similar (sent to uk.t by mistake)
> On 23/08/2023 19:42, Woody wrote:
> > I run a Huawei P8Lite (2017) and am having trouble with texts and
> messages.
> >
> > The hospital insists on sending appointment confirmations from a text
> link. I open the text and it gives me a hyperlink to what they call
> Patienthub - that of course opens in Google Chrome by default.
> >
> > It asks me to to enter the mobile number on which I received the text
> and my date of birth. It then sends me a once use six digit code by
> means of a second text and I have 2½ minutes to complete the access
> sequence.
> >
> > This may sound daft, but how the h**l to I read the second text
> whilst keeping the browser access open so that I don't loose the data
> already entered?
>
> Hopefully, the way that I would try to do it on my Android phablet ...
>
> If the Messages app is already/still open from reading the first text,
> the area to the left of the Home button contains a 'soft' button to
> display all the apps currently running in a similar manner to <Alt-Tab>
> in Windows.  You can select the Messages app from there and read and/or
> copy the code.  Then you can use the same button to switch back to the
> browser to enter it.  Even if you closed down the Messages app after
> reading the first SMS, you should be able to press the Home button,
> relaunch Messages, and then use the above method to get back to the
> browser in the same state that you left it.

If it's all too much of a problem, simply forward the original
Patienthub SMS/link to another phone, open it on there, and use the
original phone to read the SMS. Or vice versa.

Perhaps the whole thing is a Level 1 initiative test