From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: First National Rail Contracts
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 14:59:56 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 22 May 2021 13:59 UTC

In message <s88fjc$o0u$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:20:28 on Fri, 21 May
2021, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <s885g0$5ht$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:28:00 on Fri, 21 May
>> 2021, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>> And perhaps Shapps's 400 people arguing over whose fault a delay is,
>> *will* be needed after all. Because without knowing whose fault it is,
>> you can't apply a performance penalty to the transgressors.

>>> I’m surprised any company wants to do it. £13.2m tops per annum
>>>to run SWR
>>> doesn’t seem worth the bother.
>>
>> That must be the profit, because the DfT is said to be paying all the
>> costs, presumably including the staff, and managers are staff.
>
>Yes, I was wondering about that. There may be a few senior supervisory
>management on the First payroll, but all the other TOC staff costs will be
>covered by the DfT.
>
>But it's still confusing about whom the TOC management reports to. It must
>be both the DfT/GBR and their own company, depending on the issue. For
>example, how much involvement does Arriva have in the management of LO?
>Does it make available any corporate resources? I've not seen it reported.

The answer is going to be: the longer term the strategy/tactics are
expected to be needed, the further up the food chain will be involved.

The hierarchy of all sorts of companies isn't well understood outside of
them, just by the poor folks compiling/examining monthly/annual results
(financials and KPIs) to try to keep the show on the road and not too
many awkward questions asked.

I used to know some people in tech companies who you'd think were in
charge, but in fact because they were a subsidiary of something much
bigger (often international) would complain they'd spend 3/4 of each
month trying to explain away last-month to the next layer up, and only
1/4 of the time trying to make this-month go a bit better.
--
Roland Perry