The savior becomes the victim.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

SubjectAuthor
* Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?David
+* Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?David
|`* Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?David
| `* Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?Adrian Caspersz
|  `- Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?David
`* Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?Andy Burns
 `- Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?David

1
Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iui94tF17nkU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1501&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1501

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?
Date: 4 Nov 2021 14:30:53 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 14:30 UTC

I've finally decided to try and connect to our LG TV as a wireless display.

First tried Android but it couldn't see the device.

Next tried W10 (this machine) and the device showed up in the list, but
the system couldn't connect.

Then noted that the TV was showing up in Wireless Devices but local
wireless (this PC) was turned off.
[Noting that TV and PC are connected to the internal network via Ethernet
but that would be too easy if it worked, yeah?]

Turned on wireless but no change.
Single or double click on the device name seems to produce some moving
blue dots right at the top of the scren, but nothing else.

I expect that this is yet another case of magic pixie dust which will seem
trivial once working.
Still, a very long HDMI cable seems to be an easier option at the moment.

Or a shorter cable and a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Technology, eh?

Oh, the TV has the latest software, recently updated.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iuiaoaF17nkU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1502&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1502

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?
Date: 4 Nov 2021 14:58:18 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 14:58 UTC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 14:30:53 +0000, David wrote:

> I've finally decided to try and connect to our LG TV as a wireless
> display.
>
> First tried Android but it couldn't see the device.
>
> Next tried W10 (this machine) and the device showed up in the list, but
> the system couldn't connect.
>
> Then noted that the TV was showing up in Wireless Devices but local
> wireless (this PC) was turned off.
> [Noting that TV and PC are connected to the internal network via
> Ethernet but that would be too easy if it worked, yeah?]
>
> Turned on wireless but no change.
> Single or double click on the device name seems to produce some moving
> blue dots right at the top of the scren, but nothing else.
>
> I expect that this is yet another case of magic pixie dust which will
> seem trivial once working.
> Still, a very long HDMI cable seems to be an easier option at the
> moment.
>
> Or a shorter cable and a wireless mouse and keyboard.
>
> Technology, eh?
>
> Oh, the TV has the latest software, recently updated.

Oh, dear!

Further checking and the LG display showing up in the list of "wireless
devices" was the one connected to this PC via a cable.

Once I'd turned on WiFi on the TV alongside the Ethernet then it all
sprang to life.

Strangely the TV didn't warn me that there was no wireless turned on so a
wireless connection wouldn't work.

Anyway, I can now collaborate over things using the big TV whilst sitting
on the sofa across the room.

Cheers

Dave R$

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iuiig7Ft8o9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1504&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1504

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 4 Nov 2021 17:10:31 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 17:10 UTC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 14:58:18 +0000, David wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 14:30:53 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> I've finally decided to try and connect to our LG TV as a wireless
>> display.
>>
>> First tried Android but it couldn't see the device.
>>
>> Next tried W10 (this machine) and the device showed up in the list, but
>> the system couldn't connect.
>>
>> Then noted that the TV was showing up in Wireless Devices but local
>> wireless (this PC) was turned off.
>> [Noting that TV and PC are connected to the internal network via
>> Ethernet but that would be too easy if it worked, yeah?]
>>
>> Turned on wireless but no change.
>> Single or double click on the device name seems to produce some moving
>> blue dots right at the top of the scren, but nothing else.
>>
>> I expect that this is yet another case of magic pixie dust which will
>> seem trivial once working.
>> Still, a very long HDMI cable seems to be an easier option at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Or a shorter cable and a wireless mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> Technology, eh?
>>
>> Oh, the TV has the latest software, recently updated.
>
> Oh, dear!
>
> Further checking and the LG display showing up in the list of "wireless
> devices" was the one connected to this PC via a cable.
>
> Once I'd turned on WiFi on the TV alongside the Ethernet then it all
> sprang to life.
>
> Strangely the TV didn't warn me that there was no wireless turned on so
> a wireless connection wouldn't work.
>
> Anyway, I can now collaborate over things using the big TV whilst
> sitting on the sofa across the room.

Just further chatter.

With the laptop plugged into the big 4K LG monitor I can get higher
resolutions (but not, I think, 4K) on the TV.

With the laptop not plugged into anything but using wireless to connect to
the TV I can't get anything above Full HD which is the native resolution
of the laptop screen.

I'm not sure if the Thunderbolt connection to the Dell hub is affecting
things, but otherwise I would have thought that if the laptop can support
a 4K monitor directly connected and also a 4K TV remotely connected then
it should be able to support a 4K TV when not wired to anything.

Oh, and when wired to the big monitor I can close the laptop lid and just
use the big monitor.

If I'm using Miracast (or similar) if I close the laptop lid the whole
thing shuts off.

Nothing is easy, is it?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iuikidF3efoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1505&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1505

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 17:45:49 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 17:45 UTC

On 04/11/2021 17:10, David wrote:
> Just further chatter.
>
> With the laptop plugged into the big 4K LG monitor I can get higher
> resolutions (but not, I think, 4K) on the TV.
>
> With the laptop not plugged into anything but using wireless to connect to
> the TV I can't get anything above Full HD which is the native resolution
> of the laptop screen.
>
> I'm not sure if the Thunderbolt connection to the Dell hub is affecting
> things, but otherwise I would have thought that if the laptop can support
> a 4K monitor directly connected and also a 4K TV remotely connected then
> it should be able to support a 4K TV when not wired to anything.

Bandwidth limit probably

> Oh, and when wired to the big monitor I can close the laptop lid and just
> use the big monitor.
>
> If I'm using Miracast (or similar) if I close the laptop lid the whole
> thing shuts off.
>
> Nothing is easy, is it?

Windows 10 has its rules on enabling and disabling output, reassigning
'main' screens and auto detecting the presence monitors over DCC.
Sometimes I'd like to over-ride that. No dice.

What's the lag like and can you see any compression artefacts?

--
Adrian C

Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iuil9jF3innU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1507&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1507

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 17:58:11 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 17:58 UTC

David wrote:

> Technology, eh?

WiDi and/or Miracast aren't worth the effort of trying to get them to work, too
finicky during setup, colours are horrid, jitter and judder mean you won't be
able to bear watching it, even if it "works"

Buy a chromecast/firestick/whatever.

Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iukk7sFeu4pU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1512&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1512

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 5 Nov 2021 11:52:28 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:52 UTC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 17:45:49 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

> On 04/11/2021 17:10, David wrote:
>> Just further chatter.
>>
>> With the laptop plugged into the big 4K LG monitor I can get higher
>> resolutions (but not, I think, 4K) on the TV.
>>
>> With the laptop not plugged into anything but using wireless to connect
>> to the TV I can't get anything above Full HD which is the native
>> resolution of the laptop screen.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the Thunderbolt connection to the Dell hub is affecting
>> things, but otherwise I would have thought that if the laptop can
>> support a 4K monitor directly connected and also a 4K TV remotely
>> connected then it should be able to support a 4K TV when not wired to
>> anything.
>
> Bandwidth limit probably
>

>> Oh, and when wired to the big monitor I can close the laptop lid and
>> just use the big monitor.
>>
>> If I'm using Miracast (or similar) if I close the laptop lid the whole
>> thing shuts off.
>>
>> Nothing is easy, is it?
>>

> Windows 10 has its rules on enabling and disabling output, reassigning
> 'main' screens and auto detecting the presence monitors over DCC.
> Sometimes I'd like to over-ride that. No dice.
>
> What's the lag like and can you see any compression artefacts?

A bit laggy but I'm not trying to view video at the moment.

First use case is to display maps on the big screen to aid holiday
planning.

I haven't checked the bandwidth from the TV location but it won't get much
better than the upstairs office which is right next to the wireless router.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Connecting to LG TV as wireless display?

<iukkaoFeu4pU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1513&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1513

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 5 Nov 2021 11:54:00 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:54 UTC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2021 17:58:11 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> Technology, eh?
>
> WiDi and/or Miracast aren't worth the effort of trying to get them to
> work, too finicky during setup, colours are horrid, jitter and judder
> mean you won't be able to bear watching it, even if it "works"
>
> Buy a chromecast/firestick/whatever.

Ta.

Have two Firesticks but so far never seen the need on the main
installation as it is networked to the hilt and also has Apps on the TV
and the VM box.

Cheers

Dave R