From: GER...@BARLYMCGREW.COM (jimmy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Restore files from security essentials
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:42:39 -0000
 by: jimmy - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:42 UTC

Slightly OT but can anyone help me convert these instructions for use with
security essentials in win7?

Same error message as for win 10

I had a very similar problem. In addition, I found the error 0x80508014
appearing in Windows' Event Viewer (see Review event logs and error codes to
troubleshoot issues with Windows Defender Antivirus). Joanne's answer in the
thread Where to restore quarantined items in Windows 10 creator update?
solved the problem for me:

- Open an elevated command prompt (open start menu, type cmd, right click,
choose "Run as administrator").

- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Defender ("cd C:\Program
Files\Windows Defender" [Enter]).

- Run "MpCmdRun.exe -?" to see a list of available commands.

- Use MpCmdRun.exe to recover the quarantined files to a different location.
I created an empty folder named "DefenderRecovery" in C:\ and then ran the
command "MpCmdRun.exe -Restore -All -Path C:\DefenderRecovery".

Before the recovery, I also (temporarily) disabled Windows Defender's
real-time monitoring.

Thanks

Re: Restore files from security essentials

<iukp6lFftliU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1515&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1515

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Restore files from security essentials
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 13:17:09 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 13:17 UTC

On 05/11/2021 09:42, jimmy wrote:
> Slightly OT but can anyone help me convert these instructions for use
> with security essentials in win7?

first google how to open the windows 7 command prompt as administrator
and then find a beginners guide to using the command line, typingn
commands like 'cd' for change directory, etc....

The following looks doable in Windows 7.

So is, er, reformat disk...

--
Adrian C