Let me put it this way: today is going to be a learning experience.

aus+uk / uk.food+drink.misc / Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

SubjectAuthor
* If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Malcolm Loades
`* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Graham
 `* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Malcolm Loades
  `* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Graham
   `* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Malcolm Loades
    `* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Graham
     `* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Bertie Doe
      +* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Brian
      |`* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Bertie Doe
      | `- Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Brian
      `* Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Malcolm Loades
       `- Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....Bertie Doe

1
If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<jn6frcFd5trU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=143&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#143

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Subject: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:58:19 +0100
 by: Malcolm Loades - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:58 UTC

..... you may find a little more activity on the new publicly viewable
Facebook group Food, Cooking and Eating UK
https://www.facebook.com/groups/747329726332138 Anyone can read the
posts there, join if you'd like new post notifications, ability to
comment, 'Like' etc.

Malcolm

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<ahoPK.18$479c.8@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=144&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#144

Subject: Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:29:40 -0600
 by: Graham - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:29 UTC

On 2022-08-30 6:58 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> .... you may find a little more activity on the new publicly viewable
> Facebook group Food, Cooking and Eating UK

But that would mean joining facebook!

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/747329726332138  Anyone can read the
> posts there, join if you'd like new post notifications, ability to
> comment, 'Like' etc.
>
> Malcolm

I was a regular poster to this group but after some intense rows, it
moved to Facebook. I joined but after a couple of weeks of FB messages
from elsewhere, I closed the account. I have no intention of re-joining
the damned social network.
Graham

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<jn6jb9Fd5trU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=145&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#145

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:58:01 +0100
 by: Malcolm Loades - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:58 UTC

On 30/08/2022 14:29, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-08-30 6:58 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
>> .... you may find a little more activity on the new publicly viewable
>> Facebook group Food, Cooking and Eating UK
>
> But that would mean joining facebook!
>
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/747329726332138  Anyone can read the
>> posts there, join if you'd like new post notifications, ability to
>> comment, 'Like' etc.
>>
>> Malcolm
>
> I was a regular poster to this group but after some intense rows, it
> moved to Facebook. I joined but after a couple of weeks of FB messages
> from elsewhere, I closed the account. I have no intention of re-joining
> the damned social network.
> Graham

Facebook can be used in a way where it is no more a social network than
newsgroups are a social network. I belong to around 6 interest groups
which I've chosen to join and that's it. I get no unwanted messages, no
spam, nothing! I don't send people private messages and no one sends me
private messages. OK, to be fair I maybe get 2 or 3 'Friend' requests a
year but I ignore them. I don't have a timeline (or whatever its called)
telling the world everything I think and do! My 6 groups are totally
analogous to my usenet groups.

"I have no intention of re-joining the damned social network." Ooops,
waste of time my explanation then?

Malcolm

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<S%rPK.21154$6Il8.6116@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=146&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#146

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:44:18 -0600
 by: Graham - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:44 UTC

On 2022-08-30 7:58 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 30/08/2022 14:29, Graham wrote:
>> On 2022-08-30 6:58 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
>>> .... you may find a little more activity on the new publicly viewable
>>> Facebook group Food, Cooking and Eating UK
>>
>> But that would mean joining facebook!
>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/747329726332138  Anyone can read the
>>> posts there, join if you'd like new post notifications, ability to
>>> comment, 'Like' etc.
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>>
>> I was a regular poster to this group but after some intense rows, it
>> moved to Facebook. I joined but after a couple of weeks of FB messages
>> from elsewhere, I closed the account. I have no intention of re-joining
>> the damned social network.
>> Graham
>>
> Facebook can be used in a way where it is no more a social network than
> newsgroups are a social network.  I belong to around 6 interest groups
> which I've chosen to join and that's it.  I get no unwanted messages, no
> spam, nothing!  I don't send people private messages and no one sends me
> private messages.  OK, to be fair I maybe get 2 or 3 'Friend' requests a
> year but I ignore them. I don't have a timeline (or whatever its called)
> telling the world everything I think and do!  My 6 groups are totally
> analogous to my usenet groups.
>
> "I have no intention of re-joining the damned social network."  Ooops,
> waste of time my explanation then?
>
> Malcolm
Perhaps not:-) I'll talk to my d-i-l. The US dominated rec.food.cooking
has become a sewer!

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<jn71v6Fg07oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=147&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#147

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:07:33 +0100
 by: Malcolm Loades - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:07 UTC

On 30/08/2022 18:44, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-08-30 7:58 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
>>>
>>> But that would mean joining facebook!

>>> I was a regular poster to this group but after some intense rows, it
>>> moved to Facebook. I joined but after a couple of weeks of FB messages
>>> from elsewhere, I closed the account. I have no intention of re-joining
>>> the damned social network.
>>> Graham
>>>
>> Facebook can be used in a way where it is no more a social network than
>> newsgroups are a social network.  I belong to around 6 interest groups
>> which I've chosen to join and that's it.  I get no unwanted messages, no
>> spam, nothing!  I don't send people private messages and no one sends me
>> private messages.  OK, to be fair I maybe get 2 or 3 'Friend' requests a
>> year but I ignore them. I don't have a timeline (or whatever its called)
>> telling the world everything I think and do!  My 6 groups are totally
>> analogous to my usenet groups.
>>
>> "I have no intention of re-joining the damned social network."  Ooops,
>> waste of time my explanation then?
>>
>> Malcolm
> Perhaps not:-) I'll talk to my d-i-l. The US dominated rec.food.cooking
> has become a sewer!

Maybe you could get your d-i-l to look at the group and report on how it
is to you? This new food group on Facebook is moderated, unless invited
by a member, applications must first be vetted. Anything 'not nice' in
many meanings will be deleted promptly by an admin and could result in
the poster getting banned. It's very early days for the group but I
believe it can be maintained as a polite, on topic discussion group. It
just needs more participants.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<J1tPK.133602$BKL8.60967@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=148&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#148

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:54:32 -0600
 by: Graham - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:54 UTC

On 2022-08-30 12:07 p.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 30/08/2022 18:44, Graham wrote:

>>> Facebook can be used in a way where it is no more a social network than
>>> newsgroups are a social network.  I belong to around 6 interest groups
>>> which I've chosen to join and that's it.  I get no unwanted messages, no
>>> spam, nothing!  I don't send people private messages and no one sends me
>>> private messages.  OK, to be fair I maybe get 2 or 3 'Friend' requests a
>>> year but I ignore them. I don't have a timeline (or whatever its called)
>>> telling the world everything I think and do!  My 6 groups are totally
>>> analogous to my usenet groups.
>>>
>>> "I have no intention of re-joining the damned social network."  Ooops,
>>> waste of time my explanation then?
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>> Perhaps not:-) I'll talk to my d-i-l. The US dominated rec.food.cooking
>> has become a sewer!
>>
> Maybe you could get your d-i-l to look at the group and report on how it
> is to you?  This new food group on Facebook is moderated, unless invited
> by a member, applications must first be vetted.  Anything 'not nice' in
> many meanings will be deleted promptly by an admin and could result in
> the poster getting banned.  It's very early days for the group but I
> believe it can be maintained as a polite, on topic discussion group.  It
> just needs more participants.
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm
When this group migrated to FB, probably over 15 years ago (I've lost
track) a guy called Mike set it up. I still have his e-mail address, as
well as those of other members that moved, so I'll forward this thread
to them.
BTW, I am a Brit, from Suffolk, but have been living in Canada since 1975.
Graham
Graham

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<5d3a2b28-eeff-4123-a8ec-285d5b56641en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=150&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#150

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: thirdpl...@gmail.com (Bertie Doe)
 by: Bertie Doe - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 17:04 UTC

On Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 8:03:04 PM UTC+1, Graham wrote:
> On 2023-04-15 10:11 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> > On 14/04/2023 23:17, Graham wrote:
> >> Apparently, one cannot completely remove oneself from FB and as soon
> >> as I use it I become a full "member" again.
> >>
> > Not true.
> >
> > Facebook tell you how to do it here
> > https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674 "What happens if I
> > permanently delete my Facebook account?" "You won't be able to
> > reactivate your account"
> >
> > Malcolm
> They must have changed their protocols since I deleted. Back then,
> they apparently kept one on file.

Hi Malcolm, I've just applied to join the fb group you mentioned and replied to your 'black pudding post'. As it's my first post on this group, my status is 'Pending'.

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<u2eeqc$21l59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=151&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#151

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 18:27:24 -0000 (UTC)
<_hk_L.196200$5jd8.187119@fx05.iad>
<ka00mbFlrucU1@mid.individual.net>
<GxC_L.2331585$vBI8.698104@fx15.iad>
<5d3a2b28-eeff-4123-a8ec-285d5b56641en@googlegroups.com>
sha1:e34LWFzArFFkiSXVl93INqVnHDA=
 by: Brian - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 18:27 UTC

Bertie Doe <thirdplatz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 8:03:04 PM UTC+1, Graham wrote:
>>>>
>>> Not true.
>>>
>>> Facebook tell you how to do it here
>>> https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674 "What happens if I
>>> permanently delete my Facebook account?" "You won't be able to
>>> reactivate your account"
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>> They must have changed their protocols since I deleted. Back then,
>> they apparently kept one on file.
>
> Hi Malcolm, I've just applied to join the fb group you mentioned and
> replied to your 'black pudding post'. As it's my first post on this
> group, my status is 'Pending'.

What is the FB group called, please?

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<625dbc43-451c-4314-9d4f-30208b8ea337n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=152&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#152

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: thirdpl...@gmail.com (Bertie Doe)
 by: Bertie Doe - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 21:29 UTC

On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 7:27:26 PM UTC+1, Brian wrote:
> Bertie Doe <third...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> They must have changed their protocols since I deleted. Back then,
> >> they apparently kept one on file.
> >
> > Hi Malcolm, I've just applied to join the fb group you mentioned and
> > replied to your 'black pudding post'. As it's my first post on this
> > group, my status is 'Pending'.
> >
> What is the FB group called, please?

Brian, Malcolm is referring to FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/747329726332138

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<u2jn5k$324q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=153&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#153

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:20:36 -0000 (UTC)
<_hk_L.196200$5jd8.187119@fx05.iad>
<ka00mbFlrucU1@mid.individual.net>
<GxC_L.2331585$vBI8.698104@fx15.iad>
<5d3a2b28-eeff-4123-a8ec-285d5b56641en@googlegroups.com>
<u2eeqc$21l59$1@dont-email.me>
<625dbc43-451c-4314-9d4f-30208b8ea337n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:Kpf5ywnnyiZhq/ZQH1+9hkoHGVg=
 by: Brian - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:20 UTC

Bertie Doe <thirdplatz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 7:27:26 PM UTC+1, Brian wrote:
>> Bertie Doe <third...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Malcolm, I've just applied to join the fb group you mentioned and
>>> replied to your 'black pudding post'. As it's my first post on this
>>> group, my status is 'Pending'.
>>>
>> What is the FB group called, please?
>
> Brian, Malcolm is referring to FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/747329726332138

Thank you.

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<kb8348F1erbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=154&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#154

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:58:48 +0100
 by: Malcolm Loades - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:58 UTC

On 27/04/2023 18:04, Bertie Doe wrote:
> On Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 8:03:04 PM UTC+1, Graham wrote:
>>>>
>>> Not true.
>>>
>>> Facebook tell you how to do it here
>>> https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674 "What happens if I
>>> permanently delete my Facebook account?" "You won't be able to
>>> reactivate your account"
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>> They must have changed their protocols since I deleted. Back then,
>> they apparently kept one on file.
>
> Hi Malcolm, I've just applied to join the fb group you mentioned and replied to your 'black pudding post'. As it's my first post on this group, my status is 'Pending'.

Great and welcome.

You're now a confirmed member and your posts will appear without moderation.

Sorry for the delay in doing this but I've been in France as you may see
from a later post.

Malcolm

Re: If anyone still reads this newsgroup .....

<fbc19622-9d61-49ae-bda7-4d703c2eb983n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=155&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#155

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 14:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: thirdpl...@gmail.com (Bertie Doe)
 by: Bertie Doe - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:07 UTC

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 9:58:51 PM UTC+1, Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 27/04/2023 18:04, Bertie Doe wrote:

> >> They must have changed their protocols since I deleted. Back then,
> >> they apparently kept one on file.
> >
> > Hi Malcolm, I've just applied to join the fb group you mentioned and replied to your 'black pudding post'. As it's my first post on this group, my status is 'Pending'.
> >
> Great and welcome.
>
> You're now a confirmed member and your posts will appear without moderation.
>
> Sorry for the delay in doing this but I've been in France as you may see
> from a later post.
>
> Malcolm

Ah, thanks Malcolm. I think substituting Black pudding with Hash browns is an idea from across the pond, so shouldn’t be included in a Full English Breakfast. Mind you, I’m biased, as I don’t like HBs 🙄