To be wise, the only thing you really need to know is when to say "I don't know."

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

SubjectAuthor
* Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?David
+- Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?David Rance
+* Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?Nick Maclaren
|`- Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?Jeff Layman
`* Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?David
 `- Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?David

1
Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

<iqp74oFmcbmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1458&group=uk.rec.gardening#1458

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?
Date: 19 Sep 2021 16:34:32 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:34 UTC

The Brown Turkey has provided a small first crop and has now produced some
smallish second crop figs.
They are still green, though.

I picked one today because the skin was turning brown, but the inside was
still white.
However it tasted quite nice, not sour at all.

We have had a second crop off this small tree before and I am wondering if
this year might provide another.

However, I am also wondering if they can be eaten green.

Any experience?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

<mtkp9Qe+l2RhFwxl@david.rance.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1459&group=uk.rec.gardening#1459

From: david.ra...@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:46:54 +0100
 by: David Rance - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:46 UTC

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:34:32 David wrote:

>The Brown Turkey has provided a small first crop and has now produced some
>smallish second crop figs.
>They are still green, though.
>
>I picked one today because the skin was turning brown, but the inside was
>still white.
>However it tasted quite nice, not sour at all.
>
>We have had a second crop off this small tree before and I am wondering if
>this year might provide another.
>
>However, I am also wondering if they can be eaten green.

I use my second crop for making jam and chutney.

David

Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

<si7pqf$b0h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1460&group=uk.rec.gardening#1460

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:51:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:51 UTC

In article <iqp74oFmcbmU1@mid.individual.net>,
David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>The Brown Turkey has provided a small first crop and has now produced some
>smallish second crop figs.
>They are still green, though.
>
>However, I am also wondering if they can be eaten green.

They can, and there are recipes for doing so. Based on our limited
experience, I wouldn't bother.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

<sihb3p$bn8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1478&group=uk.rec.gardening#1478

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:41:45 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 07:41 UTC

On 19/09/2021 17:51, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <iqp74oFmcbmU1@mid.individual.net>,
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> The Brown Turkey has provided a small first crop and has now produced some
>> smallish second crop figs.
>> They are still green, though.
>>
>> However, I am also wondering if they can be eaten green.
>
> They can, and there are recipes for doing so. Based on our limited
> experience, I wouldn't bother.

Are you referring to lack of taste rather than anything else? There
seems to be a fair amount of misinformation on the internet about the
palatability of unripe figs. It even suggests that they may be harmful
in some way. I can't believe they could make you ill. How many times
have films shown monkeys in the tropics eating unripe figs off trees?

The only thing I could find which /might/ be true is that the unripe
latex contains an enzyme similar to papain, and it might make the skin
on your fingers feel a bit strange when it softens it.

--

Jeff

Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

<irgnkeF9jskU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1520&group=uk.rec.gardening#1520

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 28 Sep 2021 14:37:02 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:37 UTC

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:34:32 +0000, David wrote:

> The Brown Turkey has provided a small first crop and has now produced
> some smallish second crop figs.
> They are still green, though.
>
> I picked one today because the skin was turning brown, but the inside
> was still white.
> However it tasted quite nice, not sour at all.
>
> We have had a second crop off this small tree before and I am wondering
> if this year might provide another.
>
> However, I am also wondering if they can be eaten green.
>
> Any experience?

Well, come back from a long weekend and the fig tree has gone berserk!

I took one ripe one off, and another that had split.
Two more look nearly ripe.
Another four or more filling out and looking as though they might ripen.
This is a far better crop than the first one, and the best second crop
ever.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Second crop Brown Turkey - still green but nice?

<iro5khF9jskU7@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1521&group=uk.rec.gardening#1521

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 1 Oct 2021 10:18:57 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 10:18 UTC

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:37:02 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:34:32 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> The Brown Turkey has provided a small first crop and has now produced
>> some smallish second crop figs.
>> They are still green, though.
>>
>> I picked one today because the skin was turning brown, but the inside
>> was still white.
>> However it tasted quite nice, not sour at all.
>>
>> We have had a second crop off this small tree before and I am wondering
>> if this year might provide another.
>>
>> However, I am also wondering if they can be eaten green.
>>
>> Any experience?
>
> Well, come back from a long weekend and the fig tree has gone berserk!
>
> I took one ripe one off, and another that had split.
> Two more look nearly ripe.
> Another four or more filling out and looking as though they might ripen.
> This is a far better crop than the first one, and the best second crop
> ever.

As a side note the figs are turning brown on the outside and going soft
(so ripe) and they taste OK but there don't seem to be any seeds and the
flesh hasn't turned brown/pink.

Very strange as they are self fertile.

Cheers

Dave R