Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

ONE LIFE TO LIVE for ALL MY CHILDREN in ANOTHER WORLD all THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES.


aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

SubjectAuthor
* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
+* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedKen
|`* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
| `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
|  `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
|   `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
|    `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
|     +* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
|     |+* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMarland
|     ||`- Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
|     |`* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
|     | `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
|     |  `- Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
|     `- Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMarland
`* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMarland
 +- Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
 `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
  `* Aldwych 72 stock scrappedRecliner
   +- Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMuttley
   `- Aldwych 72 stock scrappedMarland

1
Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15227&group=uk.transport.london#15227

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 10
Message-ID: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
Injection-Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="bbc79aaf93202c5782232c22bec7dd57";
logging-data="3423764"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19yq6AXeltVrUOBn1lDW9a3"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:5p6Cte8F0HSUTOxfyWM/d/eooRY=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40 UTC

At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:

https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit

Scroll down for the 2023 posts.

Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
have used it for static filming surely?

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15228&group=uk.transport.london#15228

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx10.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Message-ID: <n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
User-Agent: ForteAgent/8.00.32.1272
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 16
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:23:09 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 1270
 by: Ken - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:23 UTC

On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>
>https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>
>Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>
>Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>have used it for static filming surely?

It was in a bit of a state when I was at Aldwych. The inside was OK -
we sat in it for a while - but externally it was dreadful, and there
was no way of cleaning it.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15229&group=uk.transport.london#15229

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:15:18 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 25
Message-ID: <un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me> <n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
Injection-Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:15:18 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="7c1ff5508bfc435ba6d6eed65a3cd864";
logging-data="3810242"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19HfS0t2Se7NvWBqAAgHXkq"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:Z4e1y0yHGsrBvEobMCnqLDHMbUQ=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:15 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:23:09 +0000
Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>wrote:
>
>>At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>
>>https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>
>>Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>
>>Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>have used it for static filming surely?
>
>It was in a bit of a state when I was at Aldwych. The inside was OK -
>we sat in it for a while - but externally it was dreadful, and there
>was no way of cleaning it.

I'm pretty sure they could have put it through the wash next time it was
due for a depot service.

But I guess this means the Aldwych branch is de facto disused now. Wonder
how long until they seal up the tunnels and leave it.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15230&group=uk.transport.london#15230

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx15.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
Lines: 29
Message-ID: <hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:35:57 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 1892
 by: Recliner - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:35 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:23:09 +0000
> Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>>
>>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>>
>>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>>
>>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>
>> It was in a bit of a state when I was at Aldwych. The inside was OK -
>> we sat in it for a while - but externally it was dreadful, and there
>> was no way of cleaning it.
>
> I'm pretty sure they could have put it through the wash next time it was
> due for a depot service.
>
> But I guess this means the Aldwych branch is de facto disused now. Wonder
> how long until they seal up the tunnels and leave it.

They will be cutting through the tunnel as part of the station capacity
enhancement project.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15231&group=uk.transport.london#15231

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.hispagatos.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:15:06 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 35
Message-ID: <un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
Injection-Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:15:06 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="7c1ff5508bfc435ba6d6eed65a3cd864";
logging-data="3889347"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/KM+SooS19a7+oxehzb4MV"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:XXcUMbjFLtGLfeJkpp09ljJ8CNM=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:15 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:35:57 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:23:09 +0000
>> Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>>>
>>>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>>>
>>>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>>>
>>>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>>
>>> It was in a bit of a state when I was at Aldwych. The inside was OK -
>>> we sat in it for a while - but externally it was dreadful, and there
>>> was no way of cleaning it.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they could have put it through the wash next time it was
>> due for a depot service.
>>
>> But I guess this means the Aldwych branch is de facto disused now. Wonder
>> how long until they seal up the tunnels and leave it.
>
>They will be cutting through the tunnel as part of the station capacity
>enhancement project.

Yes, I read that somewhere. Seems a bit short sighted. Why not just wall the
track off but connected and use the aldwych platform as extra space? Still,
seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15232&group=uk.transport.london#15232

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx13.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
Lines: 59
Message-ID: <aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 3509
 by: Recliner - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:16 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 10:35:57 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:23:09 +0000
>>> Ken <ken@birchanger.com> wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:40:50 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>>>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>>>>
>>>>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>>>>
>>>>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>>>>
>>>>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>>>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>>>
>>>> It was in a bit of a state when I was at Aldwych. The inside was OK -
>>>> we sat in it for a while - but externally it was dreadful, and there
>>>> was no way of cleaning it.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure they could have put it through the wash next time it was
>>> due for a depot service.
>>>
>>> But I guess this means the Aldwych branch is de facto disused now. Wonder
>>> how long until they seal up the tunnels and leave it.
>>
>> They will be cutting through the tunnel as part of the station capacity
>> enhancement project.
>
> Yes, I read that somewhere. Seems a bit short sighted. Why not just wall the
> track off but connected and use the aldwych platform as extra space?

The new concourse will occupy the old platform space, with cross passages
to the escalators and new lift running across the old track. So the branch
would become inaccessible anyway.

> Still, seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.

Yes, but it'll be needed before the Piccadilly line is resignalled, so you
should be in favour.

I suspect that Aldwych hasn't been used much for filming for a while. The
lifts are disused, so all equipment and props have to be carried down and
up the stairs. It's also not a good place for the film company trucks to
park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original
gate stock). Charing Cross is much more convenient and representative of
the modern era.

With all the new film studios springing up round London, I wouldn't be
surprised if there isn't a permanent Tube station set, which would be far
more convenient to use, with lighting, camera positions, power supplies all
in place. They can probably quickly customise a dummy train to represent
any era.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15233&group=uk.transport.london#15233

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:34:33 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 26
Message-ID: <un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
Injection-Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:34:33 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="7c1ff5508bfc435ba6d6eed65a3cd864";
logging-data="3912728"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19oCdPyPIsTDUMREKuLaYZp"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:ZTbzutASp1pSC04olp19MWvXGi8=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:34 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> Still, seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.
>
>Yes, but it'll be needed before the Piccadilly line is resignalled, so you
>should be in favour.

I suspect by the time its resignalled I'll have moved and/or retired so
I'll no longer care anyway. Took the family on a day out yesterday and on
the way back we had 3 "regulating the service" delays at KX, wood green
and arnos. Unbelievable.

>park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
>modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original

Unless of course they want to film something set in the 70s to 90s.

>With all the new film studios springing up round London, I wouldn't be
>surprised if there isn't a permanent Tube station set, which would be far
>more convenient to use, with lighting, camera positions, power supplies all
>in place. They can probably quickly customise a dummy train to represent
>any era.

Quite possibly. Or just do it all with green screens and CGI.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15234&group=uk.transport.london#15234

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx15.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
Lines: 34
Message-ID: <8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:49:08 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 2296
 by: Recliner - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:49 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> Still, seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.
>>
>> Yes, but it'll be needed before the Piccadilly line is resignalled, so you
>> should be in favour.
>
> I suspect by the time its resignalled I'll have moved and/or retired so
> I'll no longer care anyway. Took the family on a day out yesterday and on
> the way back we had 3 "regulating the service" delays at KX, wood green
> and arnos. Unbelievable.
>
>> park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
>> modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original
>
> Unless of course they want to film something set in the 70s to 90s.

I wonder if 73TS can get to Charing Cross (via Neasden)?

>
>> With all the new film studios springing up round London, I wouldn't be
>> surprised if there isn't a permanent Tube station set, which would be far
>> more convenient to use, with lighting, camera positions, power supplies all
>> in place. They can probably quickly customise a dummy train to represent
>> any era.
>
> Quite possibly. Or just do it all with green screens and CGI.

Or AI.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<kvooitFfq11U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15235&group=uk.transport.london#15235

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: 4 Jan 2024 22:08:29 GMT
Lines: 19
Message-ID: <kvooitFfq11U1@mid.individual.net>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
<8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net jTaV9puRWzDigRRlEjXCEwdnwadoV5/dqmARwOuYLoIP//3dIS
Cancel-Lock: sha1:4y46N647ou7IiHDD0oPQlTshsa8= sha1:Dj6lmvnbR7N/rJNzZTYL+DXmFyA= sha256:/4ZJ31MmhBgTbcfqmayOqQUi78r4IAOblvyVyIqg1S0=
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
 by: Marland - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:08 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> <
>>
>>> With all the new film studios springing up round London, I wouldn't be
>>> surprised if there isn't a permanent Tube station set, which would be far
>>> more convenient to use, with lighting, camera positions, power supplies all
>>> in place. They can probably quickly customise a dummy train to represent
>>> any era.

I think the platform at Aldwych that has been disused since the WW1 is the
more interesting artefact
with its original running and conductor rails with parts of the latter
still mounted on the original style insulators and no suicide/drain pit.
Some appears to have been removed in fairy recent times but a reasonable
length remains. Anyone know if the grade 2 listing applies down below or
only the surface building?

GH

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<npGlN.34130$Xs07.7164@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15236&group=uk.transport.london#15236

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx06.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
<8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>
<kvooitFfq11U1@mid.individual.net>
Lines: 47
Message-ID: <npGlN.34130$Xs07.7164@fx06.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 22:36:03 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 3239
 by: Recliner - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:36 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <
>>>
>>>> With all the new film studios springing up round London, I wouldn't be
>>>> surprised if there isn't a permanent Tube station set, which would be far
>>>> more convenient to use, with lighting, camera positions, power supplies all
>>>> in place. They can probably quickly customise a dummy train to represent
>>>> any era.
>
>
> I think the platform at Aldwych that has been disused since the WW1 is the
> more interesting artefact
> with its original running and conductor rails with parts of the latter
> still mounted on the original style insulators and no suicide/drain pit.
> Some appears to have been removed in fairy recent times but a reasonable
> length remains. Anyone know if the grade 2 listing applies down below or
> only the surface building?
>

It seems to apply to the whole station, both above and below ground:

Aldwych Underground Station is designated for the following principal
reasons:

* Architectural interest: while among the most modest of the UERL stations,
this is the only surviving example with two separate entrances, retaining
early tiled signage on both elevations, including the original Strand
station name

* Interior: remarkably intact at all levels; one of only two Green stations
(with Holloway Road) to retain its original ticket hall complete with
booking offices, tiling and signage, and the only to retain the original
lift enclosures, complete with lift machinery, and ladies and gentlemen's
rooms with fittings; also for survival of extensive original tiling to
stairs and lower levels

* Rarity: for the retention of the original track on the E platform, the
last example to survive in situ

* Historic interest: the Yerkes group of stations designed by Leslie Green
illustrate a remarkable phase in the development of the capital's transport
system, with the pioneering use of a strong and consistent corporate image;
the characteristic ox-blood faience fa├žades are instantly recognisable and
count among the most iconic of London building types

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1401034?section=official-list-entry

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15237&group=uk.transport.london#15237

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: 4 Jan 2024 23:44:18 GMT
Lines: 21
Message-ID: <kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net WN81a9HTQcJjFq+HKNSXVQl5dYbivdcNBcOO/l6FahI7Ie5hDO
Cancel-Lock: sha1:zbnAvP0QdRMcw4et8xRDpTEmYMM= sha1:xaeS5E/BF+ezsg1HBjdhpgtClK0= sha256:7IupygVxbeMPRvQK7JrkZWRNcCUZWgVhl8F2vPnxods=
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
 by: Marland - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 23:44 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>
> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>
> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>
> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
> have used it for static filming surely?
>
>

Interest having been piqued and thinking someone would have taken a picture
of it on the way to the scrapyard I had a nose around the WWW. Did not find
one but it did not go far anyway.
Dismantled at Ruislip Depot to provide spares for Bakerloo stock.

< https://www.lurs.org.uk/01_April_22_NEWS_AND_NOTES.pdf>

GH

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<CEIlN.4774$v7Ud.4491@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15238&group=uk.transport.london#15238

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx09.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>
Lines: 25
Message-ID: <CEIlN.4774$v7Ud.4491@fx09.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 01:08:50 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 1758
 by: Recliner - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 01:08 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>
>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>
>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>
>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>
>>
>
> Interest having been piqued and thinking someone would have taken a picture
> of it on the way to the scrapyard I had a nose around the WWW. Did not find
> one but it did not go far anyway.
> Dismantled at Ruislip Depot to provide spares for Bakerloo stock.
>
> < https://www.lurs.org.uk/01_April_22_NEWS_AND_NOTES.pdf>

Seems like the best use of it. The Bakerloo service has been reduced
because of reducing stock availability, so if the recovered parts can help
keep the vintage trains running a bit longer, so much the better.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un8jmk$444s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15239&group=uk.transport.london#15239

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:55:32 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 25
Message-ID: <un8jmk$444s$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
<8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>
Injection-Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:55:32 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ef02422862532b02ff35326975c04c13";
logging-data="135324"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19CPkEYpdVqJbnntUoE2Y/O"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:c+rTv5tUihOkK3eV5fVcBLcoI2Y=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 09:55 UTC

On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:49:08 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>> Still, seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.
>>>
>>> Yes, but it'll be needed before the Piccadilly line is resignalled, so you
>>> should be in favour.
>>
>> I suspect by the time its resignalled I'll have moved and/or retired so
>> I'll no longer care anyway. Took the family on a day out yesterday and on
>> the way back we had 3 "regulating the service" delays at KX, wood green
>> and arnos. Unbelievable.
>>
>>> park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
>>> modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original
>>
>> Unless of course they want to film something set in the 70s to 90s.
>
>I wonder if 73TS can get to Charing Cross (via Neasden)?

Doesn't the 73 have gauging issues in places because of the car lengths?

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un8jv4$459p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15240&group=uk.transport.london#15240

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.bbs.nz!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:00:04 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 28
Message-ID: <un8jv4$459p$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me> <kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>
Injection-Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:00:04 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ef02422862532b02ff35326975c04c13";
logging-data="136505"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+ZYr3Q3ryO6nBA6BRDDdQM"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:zH0k3j3B9kMJzshCvP6ZPoUVwtY=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:00 UTC

On 4 Jan 2024 23:44:18 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>
>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>
>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>
>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>
>>
>
>Interest having been piqued and thinking someone would have taken a picture
>of it on the way to the scrapyard I had a nose around the WWW. Did not find
>one but it did not go far anyway.
>Dismantled at Ruislip Depot to provide spares for Bakerloo stock.
>
>< https://www.lurs.org.uk/01_April_22_NEWS_AND_NOTES.pdf>

Oh well, thats that then. A bit shocking how flimsy the cab structure is.
Virtually zero protection for the driver in a collision.

Curious why the northern line train was doing brake testing at Ealing. Isn't
that what the Highgate depot is for?

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<_AQlN.129682$c68d.47314@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15241&group=uk.transport.london#15241

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx15.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>
<un8jv4$459p$1@dont-email.me>
Lines: 31
Message-ID: <_AQlN.129682$c68d.47314@fx15.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 10:11:06 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 2086
 by: Recliner - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:11 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2024 23:44:18 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>>
>>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>>
>>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>>
>>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Interest having been piqued and thinking someone would have taken a picture
>> of it on the way to the scrapyard I had a nose around the WWW. Did not find
>> one but it did not go far anyway.
>> Dismantled at Ruislip Depot to provide spares for Bakerloo stock.
>>
>> < https://www.lurs.org.uk/01_April_22_NEWS_AND_NOTES.pdf>
>
> Oh well, thats that then. A bit shocking how flimsy the cab structure is.
> Virtually zero protection for the driver in a collision.
>
> Curious why the northern line train was doing brake testing at Ealing. Isn't
> that what the Highgate depot is for?

The slow lines between Acton Town and South Ealing are used for LU's brake
testing.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<%AQlN.129683$c68d.17765@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15242&group=uk.transport.london#15242

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx15.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
Cancel-Lock: sha1:O309nFECNS/s0WOhB/SdHgufosY=
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
<8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>
<un8jmk$444s$1@dont-email.me>
Lines: 29
Message-ID: <%AQlN.129683$c68d.17765@fx15.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
Organization: Forte - www.forteinc.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 10:11:07 GMT
X-Received-Bytes: 2236
 by: Recliner - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:11 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:49:08 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>> Still, seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.
>>>>
>>>> Yes, but it'll be needed before the Piccadilly line is resignalled, so you
>>>> should be in favour.
>>>
>>> I suspect by the time its resignalled I'll have moved and/or retired so
>>> I'll no longer care anyway. Took the family on a day out yesterday and on
>>> the way back we had 3 "regulating the service" delays at KX, wood green
>>> and arnos. Unbelievable.
>>>
>>>> park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
>>>> modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original
>>>
>>> Unless of course they want to film something set in the 70s to 90s.
>>
>> I wonder if 73TS can get to Charing Cross (via Neasden)?
>
> Doesn't the 73 have gauging issues in places because of the car lengths?

I don't think the Jubilee Line has any track sections as curvy as the
Piccadilly route east out of South Ken.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un945k$6atg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15243&group=uk.transport.london#15243

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!nntp.comgw.net!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:36:36 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 36
Message-ID: <un945k$6atg$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>
<un8jv4$459p$1@dont-email.me>
<_AQlN.129682$c68d.47314@fx15.ams1>
Injection-Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:36:36 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ef02422862532b02ff35326975c04c13";
logging-data="207792"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+IHTkc7UjTTyIthKeLV+Qq"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:n0hwP+257UOYnLxHHpmknc0hLC0=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:36 UTC

On Fri, 05 Jan 2024 10:11:06 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On 4 Jan 2024 23:44:18 GMT
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>>>
>>>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>>>
>>>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>>>
>>>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Interest having been piqued and thinking someone would have taken a picture
>>> of it on the way to the scrapyard I had a nose around the WWW. Did not find
>>> one but it did not go far anyway.
>>> Dismantled at Ruislip Depot to provide spares for Bakerloo stock.
>>>
>>> < https://www.lurs.org.uk/01_April_22_NEWS_AND_NOTES.pdf>
>>
>> Oh well, thats that then. A bit shocking how flimsy the cab structure is.
>> Virtually zero protection for the driver in a collision.
>>
>> Curious why the northern line train was doing brake testing at Ealing. Isn't
>> that what the Highgate depot is for?
>
>The slow lines between Acton Town and South Ealing are used for LU's brake
>testing.

These days the slow lines would be anything the piccadilly runs on.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<un948n$6b9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15244&group=uk.transport.london#15244

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:38:15 -0000 (UTC)
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 36
Message-ID: <un948n$6b9g$1@dont-email.me>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
<8kBlN.129083$c68d.97457@fx15.ams1>
<un8jmk$444s$1@dont-email.me>
<%AQlN.129683$c68d.17765@fx15.ams1>
Injection-Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:38:15 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="ef02422862532b02ff35326975c04c13";
logging-data="208176"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18t5pII+Grgv1bQlnAsduL5"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:D7lMJ+50fgnMTLedX0AKHgO8wSg=
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:38 UTC

On Fri, 05 Jan 2024 10:11:07 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:49:08 GMT
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
>>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>>> Still, seems like that expansion won't be happening for a while anyway.
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes, but it'll be needed before the Piccadilly line is resignalled, so you
>
>>>>> should be in favour.
>>>>
>>>> I suspect by the time its resignalled I'll have moved and/or retired so
>>>> I'll no longer care anyway. Took the family on a day out yesterday and on
>>>> the way back we had 3 "regulating the service" delays at KX, wood green
>>>> and arnos. Unbelievable.
>>>>
>>>>> park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
>>>>> modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original
>>>>
>>>> Unless of course they want to film something set in the 70s to 90s.
>>>
>>> I wonder if 73TS can get to Charing Cross (via Neasden)?
>>
>> Doesn't the 73 have gauging issues in places because of the car lengths?
>
>I don't think the Jubilee Line has any track sections as curvy as the
>Piccadilly route east out of South Ken.

Suppose not. Though I imagine a simpler option would be to divert one of the
Bakerloo 72TS at Baker Street. I assume the link between the lines is still
there and operational.

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<kvqlkdFqkhmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15245&group=uk.transport.london#15245

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: 5 Jan 2024 15:30:22 GMT
Lines: 40
Message-ID: <kvqlkdFqkhmU1@mid.individual.net>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<kvou6iFgpq5U1@mid.individual.net>
<un8jv4$459p$1@dont-email.me>
<_AQlN.129682$c68d.47314@fx15.ams1>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net tZDjRzQPhoZYNIgi0kNnggXwJqhc3+ZGSssqQ22wO2nJ3aEamd
Cancel-Lock: sha1:XO7rh2MgexbDKkhPHezniuijXyg= sha1:ICxBr9eo+5sTW2oOeRZ1IjJPzqc= sha256:kFxJaIRdHde3ZAMMfwTrLAjDCD91ClxCS5DifRTbwiw=
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
 by: Marland - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:30 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On 4 Jan 2024 23:44:18 GMT
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>> At Holborn today, suddenly wondered how the 72 stock on the disused branch
>>>> was fairing. Seems its gone to the depot in the sky:
>>>>
>>>> https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/30700/1972-tube-stock-aldwych-unit
>>>>
>>>> Scroll down for the 2023 posts.
>>>>
>>>> Wonder why they scrapped it. Even if it wasn't a runner they could still
>>>> have used it for static filming surely?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Interest having been piqued and thinking someone would have taken a picture
>>> of it on the way to the scrapyard I had a nose around the WWW. Did not find
>>> one but it did not go far anyway.
>>> Dismantled at Ruislip Depot to provide spares for Bakerloo stock.
>>>
>>> < https://www.lurs.org.uk/01_April_22_NEWS_AND_NOTES.pdf>
>>
>> Oh well, thats that then. A bit shocking how flimsy the cab structure is.
>> Virtually zero protection for the driver in a collision.
>>
>> Curious why the northern line train was doing brake testing at Ealing. Isn't
>> that what the Highgate depot is for?
>
> The slow lines between Acton Town and South Ealing are used for LU's brake
> testing.
>

It is the track known as the Eastbound local that is the test track and is
equipped with water sprays etc. Brake testing is done under engineers
possession so stock being tested can run bidirectionally
when undergoing testing.

GH

Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

<l1hv5vFjh64U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15314&group=uk.transport.london#15314

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped
Date: 26 Jan 2024 14:50:39 GMT
Lines: 33
Message-ID: <l1hv5vFjh64U1@mid.individual.net>
References: <un3v62$38fgk$1@dont-email.me>
<n5ucpipgecunld3refntnov2l7iud5q1nr@4ax.com>
<un60fl$3k8u2$1@dont-email.me>
<hSvlN.128907$c68d.95682@fx15.ams1>
<un6i1p$3mm63$1@dont-email.me>
<aRAlN.52112$woU1.7463@fx13.ams1>
<un6mmp$3nd0o$1@dont-email.me>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net m1QsEfPNI1JvC3u9L6Go1g29V2JDvBTGKtB3ARPZY8WK+CeDz9
Cancel-Lock: sha1:7095XwODreVbeQBEokWOBlYJgVo= sha1:S/sWZaRj7zysdLuUU/j0wL4A8Dk= sha256:SQdKgKli5xHMeG4Am0gPLNZyMYMBekN63uOHl7/ata8=
User-Agent: NewsTap/5.5 (iPad)
 by: Marland - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:50 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>
>> park outside the station. The 72 stock isn't representative of either
>> modern Tube trains or iconic vintage trains (eg, 38 stock or the original
>
> Unless of course they want to film something set in the 70s to 90s.
>
>> With all the new film studios springing up round London, I wouldn't be
>> surprised if there isn't a permanent Tube station set, which would be far
>> more convenient to use, with lighting, camera positions, power supplies all
>> in place. They can probably quickly customise a dummy train to represent
>> any era.
>
> Quite possibly. Or just do it all with green screens and CGI.
>
>

Coming back to this thread I see TFL have put out a PR release today
to coincide with the debut of a film where a scene was filmed on the tube
,and in this case they used Bank on the Waterlloo and City.
Must say I had not thought of the possibility of using that line but it
makes a lot of sense, like the Aldwych branch it is self contained with
the advantage that everything is in working order, the stock is not too old
or too modern and presumably you could load stuff at Waterloo where parking
would be easier. It also has reverted to only running on weekdays so with
weekends and Bank holidays free can be utilised with minimal disruption to
normal operations.

GH


aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Aldwych 72 stock scrapped

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor