A person forgives only when they are in the wrong.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

SubjectAuthor
* Possible surge pricing on the TubeRecliner
`* Re: Possible surge pricing on the TubeMuttley
 +* Re: Possible surge pricing on the TubeRecliner
 |`* Re: Possible surge pricing on the TubeMuttley
 | `* Re: Possible surge pricing on the TubeRecliner
 |  `- Re: Possible surge pricing on the TubeMuttley
 `- Re: Possible surge pricing on the TubeRecliner

1
Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<vnAnN.4$Um93.2@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15266&group=uk.transport.london#15266

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Possible surge pricing on the Tube
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:22:35 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:22 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/sadiq-khan-considers-tube-surge-pricing-make-up-wfh-losses/

Extract:

The Mayor of London has confirmed so-called dynamic pricing, where prices
rise and fall in line with demand, is being considered by Transport for
London (TfL) to boost the operator’s recovery from the pandemic.

It comes as another round of fare rises are set to be announced by City
Hall before March, on top of a 5.9 per cent increase last year.

Mr Khan told London Assembly Budget and Performance Committee members on
Wednesday he had “held meetings” with TfL chiefs about introducing peak
fare prices that could go beyond hiked prices during the morning and
evening rush hours.

He said that pay-as-you-go travel enabled TfL to “play around” with daily
caps on how much passengers are charged to use the city’s transport.

Asked if he was going to bring in dynamic pricing as soon as this year, the
Mayor said it was among “some of the options” TfL was looking at, but that
he had “not made a decision.”

Surge pricing could see the cost of travel rising on select days throughout
the week.

Peak pricing on London’s transport is already in place at the busiest times
of the day, with fares on the Tube going up 10pc in Zone One during rush
hour.

Seb Dance, Mr Khan’s deputy mayor for transport, previously told the same
committee in December that a “whole range of options are being looked at”
to address Londoners’ changing travel patterns.

He added: “In terms of dynamic fare pricing, there are many different
variations of what that looks like, and TfL has indeed been tasked with
looking at various options.”

Since the pandemic workers have increasingly opted for only three
days-a-week in the office, causing TfL revenues to dip on Mondays and
Fridays.

Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<unotlh$313ll$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15267&group=uk.transport.london#15267

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:23:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:23 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:22:35 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/sadiq-khan-considers-tube-su
>rge-pricing-make-up-wfh-losses/
>
>Extract:
>
>The Mayor of London has confirmed so-called dynamic pricing, where prices
>rise and fall in line with demand, is being considered by Transport for
>London (TfL) to boost the operator’s recovery from the pandemic.

Translation:
"Peak prices will go through the roof whereas off peak will remain the same.
Maybe a few pence off during the night if we're feeling generous."

>Since the pandemic workers have increasingly opted for only three
>days-a-week in the office, causing TfL revenues to dip on Mondays and
>Fridays.

Perhaps time to reduce the service at certain times and fire the overpaid
bolshy chimps at the controls. That would save a few quid.

Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<nfUnN.8$wDMd.4@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15268&group=uk.transport.london#15268

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:59:15 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:59 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:22:35 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/sadiq-khan-considers-tube-su
>> rge-pricing-make-up-wfh-losses/
>>
>> Extract:
>>
>> The Mayor of London has confirmed so-called dynamic pricing, where prices
>> rise and fall in line with demand, is being considered by Transport for
>> London (TfL) to boost the operator’s recovery from the pandemic.
>
> Translation:
> "Peak prices will go through the roof whereas off peak will remain the same.
> Maybe a few pence off during the night if we're feeling generous."

It'll be interesting if they follow through with the logic of no longer
treating Monday and Friday as peak days, and instead treat Saturday as a
peak.

Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<unr4n0$3e51g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15269&group=uk.transport.london#15269

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:36:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:36 UTC

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:59:15 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:22:35 GMT
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/sadiq-khan-considers-tube-su
>
>>> rge-pricing-make-up-wfh-losses/
>>>
>>> Extract:
>>>
>>> The Mayor of London has confirmed so-called dynamic pricing, where prices
>>> rise and fall in line with demand, is being considered by Transport for
>>> London (TfL) to boost the operator’s recovery from the pandemic.
>>
>> Translation:
>> "Peak prices will go through the roof whereas off peak will remain the same.
>> Maybe a few pence off during the night if we're feeling generous."
>
>It'll be interesting if they follow through with the logic of no longer
>treating Monday and Friday as peak days, and instead treat Saturday as a
>peak.

I suspect dynamic pricing will become a euphamism for making it up as they
go along to the point that you'll have little idea how much you'll pay at
any given time unless you consult some app or website. It'll become the same
mess as NR ticketing.

Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<7rb2qi9amrmt72nejvivefgg71b6q31d71@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15270&group=uk.transport.london#15270

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:31:08 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:31 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:36:16 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:59:15 GMT
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:22:35 GMT
>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/sadiq-khan-considers-tube-su

>>> Translation:
>>> "Peak prices will go through the roof whereas off peak will remain the same.
>>> Maybe a few pence off during the night if we're feeling generous."
>>
>>It'll be interesting if they follow through with the logic of no longer
>>treating Monday and Friday as peak days, and instead treat Saturday as a
>>peak.
>
>I suspect dynamic pricing will become a euphamism for making it up as they
>go along to the point that you'll have little idea how much you'll pay at
>any given time unless you consult some app or website. It'll become the same
>mess as NR ticketing.

I wonder if truly dynamic pricing would be allowed, with fares changing at short, or even no, notice? Uber does it, but
I wonder if public transport would be allowed to have prices changing without notice? Or maybe they'll simply have a
published timetable of daily peak pricing.

Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<unro1p$3h0e7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15272&group=uk.transport.london#15272

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:06:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:06 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 12:31:08 +0000
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:36:16 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>I suspect dynamic pricing will become a euphamism for making it up as they
>>go along to the point that you'll have little idea how much you'll pay at
>>any given time unless you consult some app or website. It'll become the same
>>mess as NR ticketing.
>
>I wonder if truly dynamic pricing would be allowed, with fares changing at
>short, or even no, notice? Uber does it, but
>I wonder if public transport would be allowed to have prices changing without
>notice? Or maybe they'll simply have a
>published timetable of daily peak pricing.

Good question. Perhaps Khan would need a change in the law or at least his
powers to do it.

Re: Possible surge pricing on the Tube

<3botN.314251$xHn7.68943@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15317&group=uk.transport.london#15317

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 08:24:31 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 08:24 UTC

Tube fares cut on Fridays to lure workers back to the office (and pub)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/98f2a309-bf8d-46e5-96df-f56850fecd21?shareToken=13f62f2b08cd34247eebc8c9c29b1e96