Morton's Law: If rats are experimented upon, they will develop cancer.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: SMesS

SubjectAuthor
* SMesSRichmond
+* Re: SMesSRichmond
|`* Re: SMesSAndy Burns
| `* Re: SMesSRichmond
|  `* Re: SMesSAndy Burns
|   `- Re: SMesSRichmond
+- Re: SMesSAbandoned Trolley
`* Re: SMesSNick Finnigan
 +- Re: SMesSAndy Burns
 +* Re: SMesSRichmond
 |`* Re: SMesSNick Finnigan
 | `* Re: SMesSRichmond
 |  `- Re: SMesSNick Finnigan
 `* Re: SMesSAbandoned Trolley
  `* Re: SMesSRichmond
   `* Re: SMesSAbandoned Trolley
    `* Re: SMesSAndy Burns
     `- Re: SMesSAbandoned Trolley

1
SMesS

<86bk68mcjg.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15321&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15321

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: SMesS
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:52:35 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:52 UTC

I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages,
whereas there is on RCS messages. I can see the reasoning, if you quote
a lot of text it won't fit into an SMS. This whole thing is a mess
really. Most people don't have RCS switched on, and I don't know why
because it is now the default I think. Why are people still using SMS?
Is there a messaging app which allows quote-reply to SMS?

Re: SMesS

<867cgwmci1.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15322&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15322

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: SMesS
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:53:26 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:53 UTC

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages,
> whereas there is on RCS messages. I can see the reasoning, if you quote
> a lot of text it won't fit into an SMS. This whole thing is a mess
> really. Most people don't have RCS switched on, and I don't know why
> because it is now the default I think. Why are people still using SMS?
> Is there a messaging app which allows quote-reply to SMS?

I forgot to mention I am talking about the Google Messages app, not to
be confused with Google Chat.

Re: SMesS

<l89sdaFmf1mU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15323&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15323

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:08:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:08 UTC

Richmond wrote:

>> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages
>
> I am talking about the Google Messages app

No, I don't think there's a way, but can't say I've often wanted to
quote parts of an SMS in a reply.

You could always use the standard android copy/paste mechanism for a few
words from the original ...

Re: SMesS

<uvoe6k$1jh37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15324&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15324

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:09:57 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:09 UTC

On 17/04/2024 12:52, Richmond wrote:
> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages,
> whereas there is on RCS messages. I can see the reasoning, if you quote
> a lot of text it won't fit into an SMS. This whole thing is a mess
> really. Most people don't have RCS switched on, and I don't know why
> because it is now the default I think. Why are people still using SMS?
> Is there a messaging app which allows quote-reply to SMS?

I dont know why either - maybe they think its "universal"

What I do know is that its neither secure nor reliable

Re: SMesS

<8634rkmbgj.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15325&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15325

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:15:56 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:15 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>>> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS
>> messages I am talking about the Google Messages app
>
> No, I don't think there's a way, but can't say I've often wanted to
> quote parts of an SMS in a reply.
>
> You could always use the standard android copy/paste mechanism for a
> few words from the original ...

Having a phone with two SIM cards in can make this sort of thing quite
complicated. It's amazing after all these years that the relationship
between phone number and person is considered to be 1 to 1, just as the
relationship between email address and person is considered to be 1 to
1, even though it never has been in either case.

Anyway the problem is that people send SMS messages to me and in order
to reply without paying I sometimes want to use a different SIM card,
and that's where the confusion occurs on the other end.

Re: SMesS

<l89tcsFn0bgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15326&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15326

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:24:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:24 UTC

Richmond wrote:

> people send SMS messages to me and in order
> to reply without paying I sometimes want to use a different SIM card,
> and that's where the confusion occurs on the other end.

The android Contacts app allows multiple phone numbers (of various types
mobile/home/work/other) per entry, just convince the other people to add
both your SIMs to their contact for you, then the reply will always
appear as being from you ... I presume iThings have the same option?

Re: SMesS

<86v84gkvgu.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15327&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15327

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:46:41 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:46 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes:

> Richmond wrote:
>
>> people send SMS messages to me and in order to reply without paying I
>> sometimes want to use a different SIM card, and that's where the
>> confusion occurs on the other end.
>
> The android Contacts app allows multiple phone numbers (of various
> types mobile/home/work/other) per entry, just convince the other
> people to add both your SIMs to their contact for you, then the reply
> will always appear as being from you ... I presume iThings have the
> same option?

The second SIM card is temporary, so I would have to tell everyone to
stop using it at the end of the contract.

Does Chomp SMS or TextPlus allow reply?

Re: SMesS

<uvohpi$1k9rk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15328&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15328

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:11:16 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:11 UTC

On 17/04/2024 12:52, Richmond wrote:
> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages,
> whereas there is on RCS messages. I can see the reasoning, if you quote
> a lot of text it won't fit into an SMS. This whole thing is a mess
> really. Most people don't have RCS switched on, and I don't know why
> because it is now the default I think. Why are people still using SMS?

Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would usually
fail, and not in a sensible way.

Re: SMesS

<l8a1jnFmf1mU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15329&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15329

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:36:53 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:36 UTC

Nick Finnigan wrote:

> No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would usually fail, and not in a
> sensible way.

That is one aspect of RCS that I've found disappointing a couple of
times, it doesn't detect particularly quickly that RCS delivery has not
been successful.

So you come back to the phone some time later to notice it saying

"message not delivered by RCS,
do you want to deliver by SMS instead?"

Re: SMesS

<86mspskq0p.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15330&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15330

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:44:22 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:44 UTC

Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> writes:

> On 17/04/2024 12:52, Richmond wrote:
>> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages,
>> whereas there is on RCS messages. I can see the reasoning, if you quote
>> a lot of text it won't fit into an SMS. This whole thing is a mess
>> really. Most people don't have RCS switched on, and I don't know why
>> because it is now the default I think. Why are people still using SMS?
>
> Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would
> usually fail, and not in a sensible way.

It works over wifi too, so you don't necessarily need 4G. Also you could
use 2G could you not?

Re: SMesS

<uvoqrl$1m59i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15331&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15331

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:45:59 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:45 UTC

On 17/04/2024 15:44, Richmond wrote:
> Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On 17/04/2024 12:52, Richmond wrote:
>>> I've just noticed that there is no quote-reply option on SMS messages,
>>> whereas there is on RCS messages. I can see the reasoning, if you quote
>>> a lot of text it won't fit into an SMS. This whole thing is a mess
>>> really. Most people don't have RCS switched on, and I don't know why
>>> because it is now the default I think. Why are people still using SMS?
>>
>> Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would
>> usually fail, and not in a sensible way.
>
> It works over wifi too, so you don't necessarily need 4G. Also you could
> use 2G could you not?

When my phone was set to use RCS, it usually failed, and not in a
sensible way. Even with wifi switched on and 2G available.

Re: SMesS

<uvoroc$1mcti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15332&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15332

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:01:16 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:01 UTC

On 17/04/2024 14:11, Nick Finnigan wrote:

>  Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would usually
> fail, and not in a sensible way.

"Because it works" may not be completely accurate - a load of SMS
messages simply go missing

Every time I make a Paypal transaction the 2FA requires me to type in a
code which is sent by SMS - I would say thats something between a tenth
and a quarter of these messages simply never arrive, and I have to
request a re-send.

I appreciate that a lot of people have no problems with the system, but
theres actually plenty of messages going missing.

Re: SMesS

<86bk67lxxj.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15333&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15333

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:08:08 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:08 UTC

Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> writes:

> On 17/04/2024 15:44, Richmond wrote:
>> Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> writes:

>>> Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would
>>> usually fail, and not in a sensible way. >> It works over wifi
>>> too, so you don't necessarily need 4G. Also you >> could >> use 2G
>>> could you not?
>
> When my phone was set to use RCS, it usually failed, and not in a
> sensible way. Even with wifi switched on and 2G available.

Many people use Whatsapp. How does that get around the 4G coverage
barrier?

Re: SMesS

<867cgvlxtc.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15334&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15334

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:10:39 +0100
 by: Richmond - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:10 UTC

Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> writes:

> On 17/04/2024 14:11, Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>>  Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would
>> usually fail, and not in a sensible way.
>>

> "Because it works" may not be completely accurate - a load of SMS
> messages simply go missing
>

> Every time I make a Paypal transaction the 2FA requires me to type in
> a code which is sent by SMS - I would say thats something between a
> tenth and a quarter of these messages simply never arrive, and I have
> to request a re-send.
>
> I appreciate that a lot of people have no problems with the system,
> but theres actually plenty of messages going missing.

What we need is a system which sends messages to a server, which then
sends them on either by SMS or RCS depending on what the recipient has
available. And then we need read receipts so that they can be resent if
they don't arrive.

Or we could use email via DeltaChat.

Re: SMesS

<uvp23t$1nr7c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15335&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15335

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:49:49 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:49 UTC

On 17/04/2024 18:10, Richmond wrote:
> Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On 17/04/2024 14:11, Nick Finnigan wrote:
>>
>>>  Because it works. No 4G coverage near me, so RCS usually would
>>> usually fail, and not in a sensible way.
>>>

>> "Because it works" may not be completely accurate - a load of SMS
>> messages simply go missing
>>

>> Every time I make a Paypal transaction the 2FA requires me to type in
>> a code which is sent by SMS - I would say thats something between a
>> tenth and a quarter of these messages simply never arrive, and I have
>> to request a re-send.
>>
>> I appreciate that a lot of people have no problems with the system,
>> but theres actually plenty of messages going missing.
>
> What we need is a system which sends messages to a server, which then
> sends them on either by SMS or RCS depending on what the recipient has
> available. And then we need read receipts so that they can be resent if
> they don't arrive.
>
> Or we could use email via DeltaChat.

Or another potential "universal" solution could be something like the
old Blackberry messenger service ?

I believe each handset had a unique PIN number, allowing global text
messaging regardless of your service provider ?

If all smartphone makers were required to expose some sort of unique PIN
(or maybe even the IMSI ?) then a messaging protocol could be devised to
use any available transport layer to direct messages to specific handsets.

At the moment, competing handset makers want us all to adopt their
version - in ther interests.

Re: SMesS

<l8agjmFpc4pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15336&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15336

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:52:53 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:52 UTC

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

> another potential "universal" solution could be something like the old
> Blackberry messenger service ?

How can walled-gardens be universal?

Re: SMesS

<uvp2ch$1nt62$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15337&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15337

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:54:25 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:54 UTC

On 17/04/2024 18:52, Andy Burns wrote:
> Abandoned Trolley wrote:
>
>> another potential "universal" solution could be something like the old
>> Blackberry messenger service ?
>
> How can walled-gardens be universal?

"something like" ...

Re: SMesS

<uvp4qm$1odpf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15338&group=uk.telecom.mobile#15338

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:36:06 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:36 UTC

On 17/04/2024 18:08, Richmond wrote:
> Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> When my phone was set to use RCS, it usually failed, and not in a
>> sensible way. Even with wifi switched on and 2G available.
>
> Many people use Whatsapp. How does that get around the 4G coverage
> barrier?

I don't know, I'm not many people.