Your love life will be... interesting.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Drones

SubjectAuthor
* Dronessweller
+* Droneswessie
|`- DronesColin Irvine
+* DronesAndy Burns
|`* Dronessweller
| +* DronesAndy Burns
| |`- DronesAce
| `* DronesBruce Horrocks
|  +- DronesgeoffC
|  `- DronesStephen Packer
+* Dronessiwilson
|`* Dronessweller
| +* Dronessiwilson
| |`- DronesPipl
| `- DronesRustyHinge
+* DronesColin Irvine
|`* Dronessweller
| `- DronesColin Irvine
+* DronesSpike
|`* DronesTurby
| `- DronesSpike
`- DronesWUN

1
Drones

<k5es3nF6jc4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15120&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15120

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Drones
Date: 19 Feb 2023 15:04:23 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:04 UTC

I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
- I've not weighed it properly yet).

How much would such a thing cost?

--
Simon

Re: Drones

<XnsAFB09A62C79BEwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15122&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15122

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Drones
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:10:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:10 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:k5es3nF6jc4U1
@mid.individual.net:

> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
> - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>
> How much would such a thing cost?

Vass is the man for that but only on FB now.

I'm sure someone still on here will have an email address for him, Cab &
Colin for sure as he was a regular on the French runs.

Re: Drones

<k5eus9F70nbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15128&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15128

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:51:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:51 UTC

sweller wrote:

> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
> - I've not weighed it properly yet).

I presume you've checked that the onboard video/stills camera on drones
doesn't meet your needs?

If 4K/60fps video and 12/48MP images are good enough you can stay in the
"easy" sub 250g drone category.

Re: Drones

<k5evfqF73lfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15129&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15129

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 19 Feb 2023 16:02:02 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:02 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> I presume you've checked that the onboard video/stills camera on
> drones doesn't meet your needs?

Yes, I checked. It was fairly easy to do so, as my needs are to take
pictures on 35mm film.

I suppose I should insert a smiley so it doesn't sound so churlish.

--
Simon

Re: Drones

<k5f2khF7gm5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15132&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15132

From: siwil...@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:55:45 +0000
 by: siwilson - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 16:55 UTC

On 19/02/2023 15:04, sweller wrote:

> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
> - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>
> How much would such a thing cost?

DJI Mavic Pro will allegedly carry a ~1kg payload, you'd also have to
factor in some kind of arrangement to carry it, remote release hardware etc.

I would have thought just taking single shots on a lightweight/plastic
film camera would make more sense, return to base to wind on the film
etc. Depends what you are trying to achieve.

They can be had second hand for ~£300.

--
/Simon

Re: Drones

<k5f30oF7kjmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15133&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15133

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 19 Feb 2023 17:02:16 GMT
 by: sweller - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:02 UTC

siwilson wrote:

> > I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
> > that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor
> > drive - I've not weighed it properly yet).
> DJI Mavic Pro will allegedly carry a ~1kg payload, you'd also have to
> factor in some kind of arrangement to carry it,

> remote release hardware etc.

Hadn't really given this a great deal of thought - do some have a sort
of "auxilary" channel to operate things (such as a relay)?

> I would have thought just taking single shots on a
> lightweight/plastic film camera would make more sense, return to base
> to wind on the film etc.

I hadn't thought of that. However, they don't tend to have very good
lenses.

> Depends what you are trying to achieve.

That is a very good, and difficult, question.

> They can be had second hand for ~£300.

The Mavic Pro things?

--
Simon

Re: Drones

<dkt4vh56h3ia1oupp1n2mbjp8hjm37ruv6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15137&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15137

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:20:57 +0000
 by: Colin Irvine - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:20 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:10:36 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:k5es3nF6jc4U1
>@mid.individual.net:
>

>> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
>> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
>> - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>>
>> How much would such a thing cost?
>>

>Vass is the man for that but only on FB now.
>
>I'm sure someone still on here will have an email address for him, Cab &
>Colin for sure as he was a regular on the French runs.

I've emailed him.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Drones

<k5fbm9F8u8iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15138&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15138

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:30:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:30 UTC

sweller wrote:

> I suppose I should insert a smiley so it doesn't sound so churlish.

NP, I saw SLR, but the brain leapt to dSLR

Re: Drones

<k5fbqtF8u7eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15139&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15139

From: siwil...@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:32:44 +0000
 by: siwilson - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:32 UTC

On 19/02/2023 17:02, sweller wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>
>>> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
>>> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor
>>> drive - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>
>> DJI Mavic Pro will allegedly carry a ~1kg payload, you'd also have to
>> factor in some kind of arrangement to carry it,
>

>> remote release hardware etc.
>
> Hadn't really given this a great deal of thought - do some have a sort
> of "auxilary" channel to operate things (such as a relay)?

Some have a light you can turn on/off and people have rigged things up
to that. Eg, the ability to drop "stuff" over say, a prison wall.

>> I would have thought just taking single shots on a
>> lightweight/plastic film camera would make more sense, return to base
>> to wind on the film etc.
>
> I hadn't thought of that. However, they don't tend to have very good
> lenses.
>

>> Depends what you are trying to achieve.
>
> That is a very good, and difficult, question.
>

>> They can be had second hand for ~£300.
>
> The Mavic Pro things?

Yep Mavic Pro

The DJI Inspire 2 has a load carrying capacity of ~4kg but that's quite
a bit more spendy.

--
/Simon

Re: Drones

<tsu0nh$g6l5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15145&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15145

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:27:30 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:27 UTC

On 19/02/2023 17:02, sweller wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>
>>> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
>>> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor
>>> drive - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>
>> DJI Mavic Pro will allegedly carry a ~1kg payload, you'd also have to
>> factor in some kind of arrangement to carry it,
>

>> remote release hardware etc.
>
> Hadn't really given this a great deal of thought - do some have a sort
> of "auxilary" channel to operate things (such as a relay)?
>

>> I would have thought just taking single shots on a
>> lightweight/plastic film camera would make more sense, return to base
>> to wind on the film etc.
>
> I hadn't thought of that. However, they don't tend to have very good
> lenses.

I have (somewhere) a lightweight 35mm camera with a Leica lens.

/snip/

If you like I could ask a near neighbour what he'd suggest: he has a
droney photographic business.

He'd be able to give chapter and verse about limitations, permissions,
licences and other regs.

While I could give you his web address, it might be better coming from
someone he knows.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Drones

<h535vh19pja8rhl2dajet1otm0pi2q1ib9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15146&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15146

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:56:51 +0000
 by: Pipl - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 20:56 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:32:44 +0000, siwilson
<siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> DJI Mavic Pro will allegedly carry a ~1kg payload, you'd also have to
>>> factor in some kind of arrangement to carry it,
>>

>>> remote release hardware etc.
>>
>> Hadn't really given this a great deal of thought - do some have a sort
>> of "auxilary" channel to operate things (such as a relay)?
>>

>Some have a light you can turn on/off and people have rigged things up
>to that. Eg, the ability to drop "stuff" over say, a prison wall.

Or a simple auxiliary radio control, though maybe there are radio laws
about using more than one channel / system at a time.

--

-Pip

Re: Drones

<fg35vh1md199r503fmao1ma8rkao39lrs1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15147&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15147

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:01:17 +0000
 by: Colin Irvine - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 21:01 UTC

On 19 Feb 2023 15:04:23 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
>that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
>- I've not weighed it properly yet).
>
>How much would such a thing cost?

I've emailed you Vass' address. He's worth chatting to.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Drones

<k5gs7iFfv4jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15155&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15155

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 20 Feb 2023 09:18:42 GMT
 by: sweller - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:18 UTC

Colin Irvine wrote:

> I've emailed you Vass' address. He's worth chatting to.

Not the freeserve address? My normal email is anything at postingname
..co.uk

--
Simon

Re: Drones

<kgg6vhdvs8e8ebd65dhlc9u7vfknh1l8ni@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15158&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15158

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:49:43 +0000
 by: Colin Irvine - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:49 UTC

On 20 Feb 2023 09:18:42 GMT, "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Colin Irvine wrote:
>
>> I've emailed you Vass' address. He's worth chatting to.
>
>Not the freeserve address? My normal email is anything at postingname
>.co.uk

Yep, it bounced. Now redone.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Drones

<png6vhdl82o160ghtql6shar5b6llut67r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15159&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15159

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:53:32 +0100
 by: Ace - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:53 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 19:30:17 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>sweller wrote:
>
>> I suppose I should insert a smiley so it doesn't sound so churlish.
>
>NP, I saw SLR, but the brain leapt to dSLR

And the "motor drive" didn't register, preumably,
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Drones

<k5haukFi677U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15165&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15165

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 20 Feb 2023 13:29:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:29 UTC

sweller <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
> - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>
> How much would such a thing cost?

Not sure what this drone was equipped with:

<https://youtu.be/92G3zuhI-3A>

Warning!

The caption translates as “Liquidation of the Russian military near Ugledar
[February 2023]

--
Spike

Re: Drones

<a01190c9-f720-c3dd-c0d3-1933484b57fe@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15170&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15170

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:00:51 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:00 UTC

On 19/02/2023 16:02, sweller wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I presume you've checked that the onboard video/stills camera on
>> drones doesn't meet your needs?
>
> Yes, I checked. It was fairly easy to do so, as my needs are to take
> pictures on 35mm film.
>
> I suppose I should insert a smiley so it doesn't sound so churlish.

Buy standard drone. Take digital pictures. Project digital pictures onto
screen at home. Take film pictures of screen using SLR. Process
expensively into slides. Simples.

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: Drones

<tt06qe$qcj5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15173&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15173

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:23:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:23 UTC

On 20/02/2023 17:00, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>On 19/02/2023 16:02, sweller wrote:
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> I presume you've checked that the onboard video/stills camera on
>>> drones doesn't meet your needs?
>>
>> Yes, I checked. It was fairly easy to do so, as my needs are to take
>> pictures on 35mm film.
>>
>> I suppose I should insert a smiley so it doesn't sound so churlish.
>
>Buy standard drone. Take digital pictures. Project digital pictures onto
>screen at home. Take film pictures of screen using SLR. Process
>expensively into slides. Simples.

I suppose you would need the digital cam as a 'view finder' anyway.

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: Drones

<88860f55-4085-43cd-9726-2aad867af895n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15176&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15176

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 08:31:30 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:31 UTC

On Monday, 20 February 2023 at 16:00:54 UTC, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 19/02/2023 16:02, sweller wrote:
> > Andy Burns wrote:
> >
> >> I presume you've checked that the onboard video/stills camera on
> >> drones doesn't meet your needs?
> >
> > Yes, I checked. It was fairly easy to do so, as my needs are to take
> > pictures on 35mm film.
> >
> > I suppose I should insert a smiley so it doesn't sound so churlish.
> Buy standard drone. Take digital pictures. Project digital pictures onto
> screen at home. Take film pictures of screen using SLR. Process
> expensively into slides. Simples.

Or, put 35mm camera with expensive lens on drone, land badly.
Take future pictures with point and snap digital camera...

Re: Drones

<tt19iu$u0oe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15199&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15199

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:17:01 -0800
 by: Turby - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 02:17 UTC

On 2/20/2023 5:29 AM, Spike wrote:
> sweller <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
>> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
>> - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>>
>> How much would such a thing cost?
>
> Not sure what this drone was equipped with:
>
> <https://youtu.be/92G3zuhI-3A>
>
> Warning!
>
> The caption translates as “Liquidation of the Russian military near Ugledar
> [February 2023]

Fuck. The view at 1:55. What a disaster.
But then, add in Afghanistan, South Sudan, Myanmar, North Korea, Yemen,
Nicaragua, and a dozen other countries and it's quite a world we live in.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Drones

<k5jg5nFsakiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15201&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15201

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 21 Feb 2023 09:11:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:11 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/20/2023 5:29 AM, Spike wrote:
>> sweller <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
>>> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
>>> - I've not weighed it properly yet).
>>>
>>> How much would such a thing cost?
>>
>> Not sure what this drone was equipped with:
>>
>> <https://youtu.be/92G3zuhI-3A>
>>
>> Warning!
>>
>> The caption translates as “Liquidation of the Russian military near Ugledar
>> [February 2023]
>>
> Fuck. The view at 1:55. What a disaster.

Quite…all those streets, and not a single intact building. The snow makes
it even more desolate and depressing.

> But then, add in Afghanistan, South Sudan, Myanmar, North Korea, Yemen,
> Nicaragua, and a dozen other countries and it's quite a world we live in.

Sadly, that how it is…

I’m fairly sure that the soldier at 0:38 who runs across the street lobs a
thermobaric grenade into the building (the black smoke coming from the
window a few seconds later).

--
Spike

Re: Drones

<86812a8c-2398-46a2-9368-6c437795b907n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15360&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15360

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:09:49 -0800 (PST)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 23:09 UTC

On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:04:27 PM UTC, sweller wrote:
> I've been idly wondering if it is possible to get a "domestic" drone
> that can take a payload of about 900g (a 35mm SLR, lens and motor drive
> - I've not weighed it properly yet).

Back in the Dark Ages I had a (large) fixed wing radio controlled aeroplane
fitted with a "point and shoot" autowind film camera that I triggered with a spare R/C
channel. Quite entertaining, but also quite frustrating as there was no downlink
showing what the camera (which looked out through a hole on the fuselage side)
was actually seeing. It's astonishingly hard to frame shots without the real time
view. Those ones that worked were very satisfying, but the hit rate was quite
disappointing.

--
WUN