Laura's Law: No child throws up in the bathroom.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Macintoshrepositry provenance

SubjectAuthor
* Macintoshrepositry provenanceLiz Tuddenham
+* Re: Macintoshrepositry provenanceAlan B
|`* Re: Macintoshrepositry provenanceLiz Tuddenham
| `* Re: Macintoshrepositry provenanceAlan B
|  `- Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance (now Palm calendar)Liz Tuddenham
`* Re: Macintoshrepositry provenanceMike Dee
 `- Re: Macintoshrepositry provenanceLiz Tuddenham

1
Macintoshrepositry provenance

<1q8pkqn.a6uibhjg6deaN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15465&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15465

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Macintoshrepositry provenance
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:00:16 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:00 UTC

I've been getting more and more problems with Palm Desktop 2.6,
frequently having the 'trash the prefs' to get it working again. I have
allocated more RAM but this doesn't help and I am now quite worried that
something is filling up and will soon stop altogether.

Looking around I find that Claris Organiser 2.0 is still available from
Macintoshrepositry. This seems to be a simpler precursor of Palm and
does everything I want without the added complication of synchronising
other devices, which I don't need.

My only reservation is the download from the Macintoshrepositry website.
I notice that one of the logos at the bottom of the page contains
Cyrillic script, so does anyone know what the provenenance of this
website is?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance

<u0jegk$3rcdd$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15467&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15467

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:20:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 09:20 UTC

Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I've been getting more and more problems with Palm Desktop 2.6,
> frequently having the 'trash the prefs' to get it working again. I have
> allocated more RAM but this doesn't help and I am now quite worried that
> something is filling up and will soon stop altogether.
>
> Looking around I find that Claris Organiser 2.0 is still available from
> Macintoshrepositry. This seems to be a simpler precursor of Palm and
> does everything I want without the added complication of synchronising
> other devices, which I don't need.
>
> My only reservation is the download from the Macintoshrepositry website.
> I notice that one of the logos at the bottom of the page contains
> Cyrillic script, so does anyone know what the provenenance of this
> website is?

Looks a useful site. There’s some info on Reddit but nothing one way or the
other regarding safety in my opinion.

<https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/comments/5o13ik/found_a_repository_of_old_macintosh_system/>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance

<1q8pycn.1whfiv1bgqtsiN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15476&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15476

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:02:19 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:02 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > I've been getting more and more problems with Palm Desktop 2.6,
> > frequently having the 'trash the prefs' to get it working again. I have
> > allocated more RAM but this doesn't help and I am now quite worried that
> > something is filling up and will soon stop altogether.
> >
> > Looking around I find that Claris Organiser 2.0 is still available from
> > Macintoshrepositry. This seems to be a simpler precursor of Palm and
> > does everything I want without the added complication of synchronising
> > other devices, which I don't need.
> >
> > My only reservation is the download from the Macintoshrepositry website.
> > I notice that one of the logos at the bottom of the page contains
> > Cyrillic script, so does anyone know what the provenenance of this
> > website is?
>
> Looks a useful site. There’s some info on Reddit but nothing one way or the
> other regarding safety in my opinion.
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/comments/5o13ik/found_a_repository_
> of_old_macintosh_system/>

Thanks. I have taken a chance and downloaded a copy of Claris Organiser
2.0, but I find it won't support multiple users like Palm does.

If the problem with Palm is being caused by the huge data file (about
6,000 entries accumulated since 2001), I might be able to split the file
and keep the historic data by giving it another user name. There
doesn't appear to be any way of deleting old data from the current file
other than by going back over 20 years-worth of data and deleting each
entry manually.

Exporting the data as tabbed ASCII and viewing it in a Claris Works
Spreadsheet shows that it is all nicely arranged in columns as one would
expect. Deleting a section of recent entries creates a file with the
historic data which can be imported under another user name, but
deleting older entries so as to shorten the up-to-date file makes
everything grind to a halt and masses of blank entires to appear on the
current date.

I can't find any hidden data in the ASCII file that would indicate
things like column identity or file size and the Resource Fork appears
to be empty when viewed in ResEdit. Any idea how they store the data
that apparently doesn't like being edited?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance

<u0k0ok$2uj75$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15478&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15478

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:31:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:31 UTC

On 5 Apr 2023 at 15:02:19 BST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:

> I can't find any hidden data in the ASCII file that would indicate
> things like column identity or file size and the Resource Fork appears
> to be empty when viewed in ResEdit. Any idea how they store the data
> that apparently doesn't like being edited?

Sadly no :( Perhaps someone with more knowledge of things Classic Mac can
assist?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance (now Palm calendar)

<1q8q1ho.bbhgaq9g1lqoN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15481&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15481

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance (now Palm calendar)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 16:01:16 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:01 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2023 at 15:02:19 BST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:
>
> > I can't find any hidden data in the ASCII file that would indicate
> > things like column identity or file size and the Resource Fork appears
> > to be empty when viewed in ResEdit. Any idea how they store the data
> > that apparently doesn't like being edited?
>
> Sadly no :( Perhaps someone with more knowledge of things Classic Mac can
> assist?

It appears to not like blank lines (which is odd, because it generates
some of its own in the ASCII file). Removing all the unwanted blank
lines seemed to cure the problem.

Now I am trying to work out why the alarms haven't been appearing for
the last couple of weeks. They are selected in Preferences, set for 24
hours in advance of individual events and are showing up in the Palm
drop-down menu from the top toolbar (next to the date), even when Palm
itself isn't running. They just aren't appearing as 'warnings'.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance

<XnsAFE6AC5C5AF2Emikedee@emteedee.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15586&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15586

From: mike...@emteedee.invalid (Mike Dee)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 06:56:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Dee - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 06:56 UTC

Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> My only reservation is the download from the Macintoshrepositry
> website. I notice that one of the logos at the bottom of the page
> contains Cyrillic script, so does anyone know what the
> provenenance of this website is?

Liz, the MR is run by a, hmmm... soul who gets much of his repository
direct from http://macintoshgarden.org (https if you prefer)

An abandonware site which IMO is 20000x friendlier, has a good
community and is not overdone with flashy graphics or trackers.

You could have downloaded the same file from the Garden (and likely
originated from there).

--
dee

Re: Macintoshrepositry provenance

<1q969rf.1mavibpry4niaN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15595&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15595

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:40:33 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 09:40 UTC

Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

> Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>
> > My only reservation is the download from the Macintoshrepositry
> > website. I notice that one of the logos at the bottom of the page
> > contains Cyrillic script, so does anyone know what the
> > provenenance of this website is?
>
> Liz, the MR is run by a, hmmm... soul who gets much of his repository
> direct from http://macintoshgarden.org (https if you prefer)
>
> An abandonware site which IMO is 20000x friendlier, has a good
> community and is not overdone with flashy graphics or trackers.
>
> You could have downloaded the same file from the Garden (and likely
> originated from there).

Thanks, it is heplful to know where these things can be found.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk