From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: SD card drive unrecognised except directly after reboot
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:41:33 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:41 UTC

Years since I ever needed to work with an SD card. (It's possible I never have
done so on this 6 year old PC.) But I now find that it is not recognised
anywhere (File Explorer, Disk Management, Device Manager) ... except directly
after a reset.

IOW, if I place it in its front panel port, Shut Down > Restart, then its drive
F: is opened and I can work with its contents. But if I then remove it and
return it or replace with any other SD card, then it's as if it doesn't exist
any more.

This is Win 10 20H2 (19042.1348, the latest update available to me).

Terry

Re: SD card drive unrecognised except directly after reboot

<bPf*Umlzy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1543&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1543

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 15 Nov 2021 21:10:17 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 21:10 UTC

Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
> IOW, if I place it in its front panel port, Shut Down > Restart, then its drive
> F: is opened and I can work with its contents. But if I then remove it and
> return it or replace with any other SD card, then it's as if it doesn't exist
> any more.

It's quite common for SD card hotplug on USB adapters to not work correctly.
The solution is to unplug the USB connection once the SD card has been
replaced, causing a USB hotplug rather than an SD card one. I suppose
that's a bit difficult if it's mounted in a front panel bay...

Try another SD card reader?

Theo

Re: SD card drive unrecognised except directly after reboot

<jbv6pglmsmihj2mrhibg6k9bg25d1np4sj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1544&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1544

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 09:48:31 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 09:48 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>> IOW, if I place it in its front panel port, Shut Down > Restart, then its drive
>> F: is opened and I can work with its contents. But if I then remove it and
>> return it or replace with any other SD card, then it's as if it doesn't exist
>> any more.
>
>It's quite common for SD card hotplug on USB adapters to not work correctly.
>The solution is to unplug the USB connection once the SD card has been
>replaced, causing a USB hotplug rather than an SD card one. I suppose
>that's a bit difficult if it's mounted in a front panel bay...
>
>Try another SD card reader?
>
>Theo

Thanks Theo. Coming regretfully to the conclusion that it's a long standing hw
issue of the kind you describe. Maybe I've *never* had to use it until now,
years on. Not skilled enough to attempt accessing it inside the case. Guess I'll
have to order an external SD reader.

Terry

Re: SD card drive unrecognised except directly after reboot

<bPf*8Eqzy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1547&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1547

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Nov 2021 21:13:21 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 21:13 UTC

Terry Pinnell <me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks Theo. Coming regretfully to the conclusion that it's a long standing hw
> issue of the kind you describe. Maybe I've *never* had to use it until now,
> years on. Not skilled enough to attempt accessing it inside the case. Guess I'll
> have to order an external SD reader.

Another thought: it's not a micro SD in an adapter, is it? If you pull the
micro SD but leave the adapter in place, the reader doesn't see a hotplug
event because the adapter never moved (there's a detection switch inside the
reader, although not all of them wire it up). If you pull the adapter and
swap over the micro SD before putting it back, that will trip the detection
switch and hopefully cause a hotplug event.

Theo