Life is wasted on the living. -- The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

SubjectAuthor
* Pairing mouse and keybord questionJohn Hill
+* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionDavid Brooks
| `- Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionJohn Hill
`* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionSara Merriman
 `* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionJaimie Vandenbergh
  `* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionJoerg Lorenz
   `* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionJohn Hill
    `* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionDavid Brooks
     `* Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionJohn Hill
      `- Re: Pairing mouse and keybord questionDavid Brooks

1
Pairing mouse and keybord question

<u0jl75$3sc46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15470&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15470

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Pairing mouse and keybord question
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:14:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:14 UTC

Simple question, which probably has a simple answer. But I'd like to know
before I experiment further.

I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard paired with my iMac. If I pair them
with another device, will it wreck the pairing with the iMac?

Sort of thing I OUGHT ro know, after all these years…

John.

--
Mony a mickle makes a muckle.

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<u0jlg8$2uch2$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15471&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15471

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 13:19:36 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 11:19 UTC

Am 05.04.23 um 13:14 schrieb John Hill:
> Simple question, which probably has a simple answer. But I'd like to know
> before I experiment further.
>
> I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard paired with my iMac. If I pair them
> with another device, will it wreck the pairing with the iMac?
>
> Sort of thing I OUGHT ro know, after all these years…

Not necessarily. You probably used it never before or already years ago.
Try. Worst case would be that you have to reinstall/reconnect both
devices again with the iMac again.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<gafXL.224818$OD18.95823@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15475&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15475

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:00:44 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:00 UTC

On 05/04/2023 12:19, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 05.04.23 um 13:14 schrieb John Hill:
>> Simple question, which probably has a simple answer. But I'd like to know
>> before I experiment further.
>>
>> I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard paired with my iMac. If I pair them
>> with another device, will it wreck the pairing with the iMac?
>>
>> Sort of thing I OUGHT ro know, after all these years…
>
> Not necessarily. You probably used it never before or already years ago.
> Try. Worst case would be that you have to reinstall/reconnect both
> devices again with the iMac again.

I'm with you on this, Joerg.

Simply try it and see!

I have found from past experience that it is useful to have a 'wired'
mouse available during the initial set-up procedures - just in case! ;-)

--
David

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<ejgXL.4417579$MJk2.3240160@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15483&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15483

From: saramerr...@blueyonder.co.uk (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 15:18:34 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:18 UTC

On 5 Apr 2023 at 12:14:45 BST, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Simple question, which probably has a simple answer. But I'd like to know
> before I experiment further.
>
> I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard paired with my iMac. If I pair them
> with another device, will it wreck the pairing with the iMac?
>
> Sort of thing I OUGHT ro know, after all these years…
>
> John.

From my experience yes - you have to de-pair it with the iMac before you can
pair with with something else, and then the same again to get it back to whre
it was.
--
Billy is silly

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<k96b9sFnjjfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15493&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15493

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 5 Apr 2023 22:33:32 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:33 UTC

On 5 Apr 2023 at 16:18:34 BST, "Sara Merriman"
<saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2023 at 12:14:45 BST, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Simple question, which probably has a simple answer. But I'd like to know
>> before I experiment further.
>>
>> I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard paired with my iMac. If I pair them
>> with another device, will it wreck the pairing with the iMac?
>>
>> Sort of thing I OUGHT ro know, after all these years…
>>
>> John.
>
> From my experience yes - you have to de-pair it with the iMac before you can
> pair with with something else, and then the same again to get it back to whre
> it was.

If you use the "hook them up by Lightning cable" method it does the move
over to the new Mac as a one-step operation. Makes moving devices
between two Macs repeatedly a little less annoying.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted;
persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished;

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<u0llp0$2vcbj$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15509&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15509

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 07:36:32 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 05:36 UTC

Am 06.04.23 um 00:33 schrieb Jaimie Vandenbergh:
> If you use the "hook them up by Lightning cable" method it does the move
> over to the new Mac as a one-step operation. Makes moving devices
> between two Macs repeatedly a little less annoying.

This is by far the most elegant way to do it.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<u0lqa3$8tu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15512&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15512

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 06:53:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 06:53 UTC

On 5 Apr 2023 at 15:00:44 BST, "David Brooks" <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

> On 05/04/2023 12:19, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 05.04.23 um 13:14 schrieb John Hill:
>>> Simple question, which probably has a simple answer. But I'd like to know
>>> before I experiment further.
>>>
>>> I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard paired with my iMac. If I pair them
>>> with another device, will it wreck the pairing with the iMac?
>>>
>>> Sort of thing I OUGHT ro know, after all these years…
>>
>> Not necessarily. You probably used it never before or already years ago.
>> Try. Worst case would be that you have to reinstall/reconnect both
>> devices again with the iMac again.
>
> I'm with you on this, Joerg.
>
> Simply try it and see!
>
> I have found from past experience that it is useful to have a 'wired'
> mouse available during the initial set-up procedures - just in case! ;-)

As a matter of fact, I do…

J.
--
Classic computing: Computers do what you tell them to do, not what you want them to do.
Modern computing: Computers do what they want to do, no matter what you tell them to do.

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<u0ltha$9bl3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15513&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15513

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 07:48:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 07:48 UTC

On 6 Apr 2023 at 06:36:32 BST, "Joerg Lorenz" <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 06.04.23 um 00:33 schrieb Jaimie Vandenbergh:
>> If you use the "hook them up by Lightning cable" method it does the move
>> over to the new Mac as a one-step operation. Makes moving devices
>> between two Macs repeatedly a little less annoying.
>
> This is by far the most elegant way to do it.

The device in question is in fact a newly acquired TV, which does have an
Internet app. It IS useable with the remote but is barely viable without mouse
and keyboard, as the designers themselves admit. Anything involving wired
connections is really not on.

I like to explore the capabalities of new devices even if, as in this case, I
am unlikely to use them. I have an iMac, an iPad and an iPhone, all of which
have easier access to the internet. Evidently occasional use of the iMac's
devices requires Effort, so unless I have a pressing need, I shall not
investigate further.

Thank you all.

John.
--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<NovXL.1955258$iU59.325793@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15514&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15514

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 09:28:28 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 08:28 UTC

On 06/04/2023 08:48, John Hill wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2023 at 06:36:32 BST, "Joerg Lorenz" <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> Am 06.04.23 um 00:33 schrieb Jaimie Vandenbergh:
>>> If you use the "hook them up by Lightning cable" method it does the move
>>> over to the new Mac as a one-step operation. Makes moving devices
>>> between two Macs repeatedly a little less annoying.
>>
>> This is by far the most elegant way to do it.
>
> The device in question is in fact a newly acquired TV, which does have an
> Internet app. It IS useable with the remote but is barely viable without mouse
> and keyboard, as the designers themselves admit. Anything involving wired
> connections is really not on.
>
> I like to explore the capabalities of new devices even if, as in this case, I
> am unlikely to use them. I have an iMac, an iPad and an iPhone, all of which
> have easier access to the internet. Evidently occasional use of the iMac's
> devices requires Effort, so unless I have a pressing need, I shall not
> investigate further.
>
> Thank you all.

Hello John

Probably moving off-topic now, but I thought I'd mention that I've found
it impossible to get ITVX on my Samsung TV. https://www.itv.com/

I am, however, able to tune in to ITVX on my iPad, and then 'cast' this
onto my TV. It works well - AND it cuts out the adverts!

--
David

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<u0ogkk$o4bu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15540&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15540

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 07:27:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 07:27 UTC

On 6 Apr 2023 at 09:28:28 BST, "David Brooks" <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

> On 06/04/2023 08:48, John Hill wrote:

>>> This is by far the most elegant way to do it.
>>
>> The device in question is in fact a newly acquired TV, which does have an
>> Internet app. It IS useable with the remote but is barely viable without mouse
>> and keyboard, as the designers themselves admit. Anything involving wired
>> connections is really not on.
>>
>> I like to explore the capabalities of new devices even if, as in this case, I
>> am unlikely to use them. I have an iMac, an iPad and an iPhone, all of which
>> have easier access to the internet. Evidently occasional use of the iMac's
>> devices requires Effort, so unless I have a pressing need, I shall not
>> investigate further.
>>
>> Thank you all.
>
> Hello John
>
> Probably moving off-topic now, but I thought I'd mention that I've found
> it impossible to get ITVX on my Samsung TV. https://www.itv.com/
>
> I am, however, able to tune in to ITVX on my iPad, and then 'cast' this
> onto my TV. It works well - AND it cuts out the adverts!

I have a HUMAX set-top box that I used to show HD on the old set (which was
"HD ready") and to record TV programmes. It is now connected to the new TV. It
cannot handle itvX, and HUMAX tell me it never will - not powerful enough.

But the new set (Samsung 2022) can and does haldle itvX.

OTOH, the HUMAX is able to show BBC Teletext, whereas the TV cannot (although
the manual claims it can - this has been the source of much complaint).

John.
--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: Pairing mouse and keybord question

<QqQYL.1286805$MVg8.963233@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15545&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15545

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 10:13:20 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 09:13 UTC

On 07/04/2023 08:27, John Hill wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2023 at 09:28:28 BST, "David Brooks" <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
> wrote:

>>> The device in question is in fact a newly acquired TV, which does have an
>>> Internet app. It IS useable with the remote but is barely viable without mouse
>>> and keyboard, as the designers themselves admit. Anything involving wired
>>> connections is really not on.
>>>
>>> I like to explore the capabalities of new devices even if, as in this case, I
>>> am unlikely to use them. I have an iMac, an iPad and an iPhone, all of which
>>> have easier access to the internet. Evidently occasional use of the iMac's
>>> devices requires Effort, so unless I have a pressing need, I shall not
>>> investigate further.
>>>
>>> Thank you all.
>>
>> Hello John
>>
>> Probably moving off-topic now, but I thought I'd mention that I've found
>> it impossible to get ITVX on my Samsung TV. https://www.itv.com/
>>
>> I am, however, able to tune in to ITVX on my iPad, and then 'cast' this
>> onto my TV. It works well - AND it cuts out the adverts!
>
> I have a HUMAX set-top box that I used to show HD on the old set (which was
> "HD ready") and to record TV programmes. It is now connected to the new TV. It
> cannot handle itvX, and HUMAX tell me it never will - not powerful enough.
>
> But the new set (Samsung 2022) can and does haldle itvX.
>
> OTOH, the HUMAX is able to show BBC Teletext, whereas the TV cannot (although
> the manual claims it can - this has been the source of much complaint).

I hope that you have enjoyed a peaceful Easter, John.

I've just listened to this:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p085w3xc

//James Ward introduces another curious talk about a subject that may
seem boring, but is actually very interesting.... maybe. From
Bamboozle, to being switched off, and now being salvaged for the digital
age. James O'Malley looks at the life, death and resurrection of
Teletext.//

Something which /you/ might find of interest!

--
David