Subject: Re: Would YOU grant access?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 23:38:07 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:38 UTC

On 12/04/2023 23:05, David Brooks wrote:

Would YOU grant access?

> Here's the pop-up I saw:-
>
> https://postimg.cc/7fZ8Hbpb
>
> TIA

*Report a security or privacy vulnerability*

See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201220

Apple Security Research

//Our groundbreaking security technologies protect the users of over 1.8
billion active devices around the world. Hear about the latest advances
in Apple security from our engineering teams, send us your own research,
and work directly with us to be recognized and rewarded for helping keep
our users safe.//

https://security.apple.com

--
David

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<k9rml0F2eiaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15580&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15580

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
Date: 14 Apr 2023 00:56:00 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 00:56 UTC

On 2023-04-13, David Brooks <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 12/04/2023 23:05, David Brooks wrote:
>
> Would YOU grant access?
>
>> Here's the pop-up I saw:-
>>
>> https://postimg.cc/7fZ8Hbpb
>>
>> TIA
>
> *Report a security or privacy vulnerability*
>
> See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201220
>
> Apple Security Research
>
> //Our groundbreaking security technologies protect the users of over
> 1.8 billion active devices around the world. Hear about the latest
> advances in Apple security from our engineering teams, send us your
> own research, and work directly with us to be recognized and rewarded
> for helping keep our users safe.//
>
> https://security.apple.com

An application asking to access a key the app previously stored in your
keychain isn't a security vulnerability. 🤣

All you will succeed in doing by reporting this is wasting Apple's time.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Much ado about nothing, as
usual.

JR

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<mcb_L.1310997$MVg8.1028180@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15600&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15600

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 12:57:06 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 11:57 UTC

On 14/04/2023 01:56, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-04-13, David Brooks <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> On 12/04/2023 23:05, David Brooks wrote:
>>
>> Would YOU grant access?
>>
>>> Here's the pop-up I saw:-
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/7fZ8Hbpb
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> *Report a security or privacy vulnerability*
>>
>> See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201220
>>
>> Apple Security Research
>>
>> //Our groundbreaking security technologies protect the users of over
>> 1.8 billion active devices around the world. Hear about the latest
>> advances in Apple security from our engineering teams, send us your
>> own research, and work directly with us to be recognized and rewarded
>> for helping keep our users safe.//
>>
>> https://security.apple.com
>
> An application asking to access a key the app previously stored in your
> keychain isn't a security vulnerability. 🤣
>
> All you will succeed in doing by reporting this is wasting Apple's time.
> You have no idea what you are talking about. Much ado about nothing, as
> usual.

AI answered:-

It is generally a good thing for the NEAGENT/NEIKEv2Provider service on
a Mac to request access to the KeyChain in order to establish a secure
VPN connection. The KeyChain is a secure storage system on macOS for
passwords, certificates, and other sensitive information, and it is
designed to keep this information safe and accessible only to authorized
applications.

By requesting access to the KeyChain, NEAGENT/NEIKEv2Provider is able to
securely retrieve the authorization data required to establish a VPN
connection, without exposing this information to potential attackers or
unauthorized applications. This helps ensure the security and privacy of
your VPN connection, which is especially important if you are using the
VPN to access sensitive information or protect your online privacy.

However, it's always a good idea to verify that the
NEAGENT/NEIKEv2Provider service is legitimate and not a fraudulent or
malicious application masquerading as a VPN provider. You can do this by
researching the VPN provider and checking that it has a reputable track
record for privacy and security, as well as verifying that the
NEAGENT/NEIKEv2Provider service is listed as a legitimate component of
the VPN software.

=

Better to be safe than sorry!

--