They're giving bank robbing a bad name. -- John Dillinger, on Bonnie and Clyde

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Aquatic plant identity pls.

SubjectAuthor
* Aquatic plant identity pls.Chris Hogg
+* Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Stewart Robert Hinsley
|`* Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Chris Hogg
| `* Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Janet
|  `* Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Jonathan Ward
|   `* Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Janet
|    `- Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Jonathan Ward
`- Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.Bob Hobden

1
Aquatic plant identity pls.

<2svnng1diivk10fm92eoktctg9qabbj3il@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1562&group=uk.rec.gardening#1562

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Aquatic plant identity pls.
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:17:09 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:17 UTC

I am supervising the construction etc of a wildlife pond in a woodland
nature reserve, and have been given a bundle of hornwort for
oxygenation. Not wishing to introduce any undesirable or alien
species, I am quarantining the hornwort in a bucket ATM. I noticed a
few small pieces of some other aquatic plant which I can't identify.
It might be duckweed, but I don't think so, and the donor swears there
is no duckweed in his pond. Image here https://ibb.co/S539K6P the
coin is 5P for scale. Any suggestions?

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<slh2a0$29m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1563&group=uk.rec.gardening#1563

From: {$new...@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:00:13 +0100
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:00 UTC

On 29/10/2021 15:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I am supervising the construction etc of a wildlife pond in a woodland
> nature reserve, and have been given a bundle of hornwort for
> oxygenation. Not wishing to introduce any undesirable or alien
> species, I am quarantining the hornwort in a bucket ATM. I noticed a
> few small pieces of some other aquatic plant which I can't identify.
> It might be duckweed, but I don't think so, and the donor swears there
> is no duckweed in his pond. Image here https://ibb.co/S539K6P the
> coin is 5P for scale. Any suggestions?

Lemna trisulca (ivy-leaved duckweed). Native; Sell & Murrell say that
it's frequent, but I've only seen it a few times. Moderately different
in appearance from the other native duckweeds.

--
SRH

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<slh3e3$oee$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1564&group=uk.rec.gardening#1564

From: bob-hob...@yahoo.com (Bob Hobden)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:19:31 +0100
 by: Bob Hobden - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:19 UTC

On 29 Oct 2021 15:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I am supervising the construction etc of a wildlife pond in a woodland
> nature reserve, and have been given a bundle of hornwort for
> oxygenation. Not wishing to introduce any undesirable or alien
> species, I am quarantining the hornwort in a bucket ATM. I noticed a
> few small pieces of some other aquatic plant which I can't identify.
> It might be duckweed, but I don't think so, and the donor swears there
> is no duckweed in his pond. Image here https://ibb.co/S539K6P the
> coin is 5P for scale. Any suggestions?

Certainly not Duckweed but I can't ID it.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<8j4ong908o9bldpdgq4n5jvq377je33vnp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1565&group=uk.rec.gardening#1565

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:31:31 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:31 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:00:13 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
<{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 29/10/2021 15:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> I am supervising the construction etc of a wildlife pond in a woodland
>> nature reserve, and have been given a bundle of hornwort for
>> oxygenation. Not wishing to introduce any undesirable or alien
>> species, I am quarantining the hornwort in a bucket ATM. I noticed a
>> few small pieces of some other aquatic plant which I can't identify.
>> It might be duckweed, but I don't think so, and the donor swears there
>> is no duckweed in his pond. Image here https://ibb.co/S539K6P the
>> coin is 5P for scale. Any suggestions?
>>

>Lemna trisulca (ivy-leaved duckweed). Native; Sell & Murrell say that
>it's frequent, but I've only seen it a few times. Moderately different
>in appearance from the other native duckweeds.

Thanks Stewart. I read that it's much less invasive that the commoner
sort, which is good if any does get through my quarantine process. I
certainly don't want to introduce the commoner sort into the new pond.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<MPG.3be7292c99514ed6989cab@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1566&group=uk.rec.gardening#1566

From: nob...@hame.cock (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:05:08 +0100
 by: Janet - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:05 UTC

In article <8j4ong908o9bldpdgq4n5jvq377je33vnp@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
says...

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:00:13 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
> <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On 29/10/2021 15:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
> >> I am supervising the construction etc of a wildlife pond in a woodland
> >> nature reserve, and have been given a bundle of hornwort for
> >> oxygenation. Not wishing to introduce any undesirable or alien
> >> species, I am quarantining the hornwort in a bucket ATM. I noticed a
> >> few small pieces of some other aquatic plant which I can't identify.
> >> It might be duckweed, but I don't think so, and the donor swears there
> >> is no duckweed in his pond. Image here https://ibb.co/S539K6P the
> >> coin is 5P for scale. Any suggestions?
> >>

> >Lemna trisulca (ivy-leaved duckweed). Native; Sell & Murrell say that
> >it's frequent, but I've only seen it a few times. Moderately different
> >in appearance from the other native duckweeds.
>
> Thanks Stewart. I read that it's much less invasive that the commoner
> sort, which is good if any does get through my quarantine process. I
> certainly don't want to introduce the commoner sort into the new pond.

If you want to attract ducks to your wildlife pond, just install some
duckweed. It didn't get that name by accident. The ducks will
eliminate the duckweed, leaving you with the much peskier nuisance of
too many ducks.

Janet

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<35bb0bd0-af9d-4f6a-9966-f109c2c1bc2cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1569&group=uk.rec.gardening#1569

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 08:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan Ward)
 by: Jonathan Ward - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:13 UTC

On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 11:05:12 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> In article <8j4ong908o9bldpdg...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
> says...
> >
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:00:13 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
> > <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > >Lemna trisulca (ivy-leaved duckweed). Native; Sell & Murrell say that
> > >it's frequent, but I've only seen it a few times. Moderately different
> > >in appearance from the other native duckweeds.
> >
> > Thanks Stewart. I read that it's much less invasive that the commoner
> > sort, which is good if any does get through my quarantine process. I
> > certainly don't want to introduce the commoner sort into the new pond.
>

> If you want to attract ducks to your wildlife pond, just install some
> duckweed. It didn't get that name by accident. The ducks will
> eliminate the duckweed, leaving you with the much peskier nuisance of
> too many ducks.
>
> Janet
But ducks eat slugs and are wonderful. We can no longer keep them because we live on a river.

Jonathan

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<MPG.3bee11e8975d74ba989cc0@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1570&group=uk.rec.gardening#1570

From: nob...@hame.cock (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:51:39 -0000
 by: Janet - Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:51 UTC

In article <35bb0bd0-af9d-4f6a-9966-f109c2c1bc2cn@googlegroups.com>,
wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk says...

> On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 11:05:12 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> > In article <8j4ong908o9bldpdg...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
> > says...

> > > Thanks Stewart. I read that it's much less invasive that the commoner
> > > sort, which is good if any does get through my quarantine process. I
> > > certainly don't want to introduce the commoner sort into the new pond.
> >

> > If you want to attract ducks to your wildlife pond, just install some
> > duckweed. It didn't get that name by accident. The ducks will
> > eliminate the duckweed, leaving you with the much peskier nuisance of
> > too many ducks.
> >
> > Janet
> But ducks eat slugs and are wonderful. We can no longer keep them because we live on a river.

Could I post you some?

My grand=dauighter recently counted 48 ducks on our pond

Janet

Re: Aquatic plant identity pls.

<81a87de7-e28c-405f-bd5a-4f98e3a1ca80n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1571&group=uk.rec.gardening#1571

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 03:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan Ward)
 by: Jonathan Ward - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:58 UTC

On Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 3:51:41 PM UTC, Janet wrote:
> In article <35bb0bd0-af9d-4f6a...@googlegroups.com>,
> war...@hotmail.co.uk says...
> >
> > On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 11:05:12 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> > > In article <8j4ong908o9bldpdg...@4ax.com>, m...@privacy.net
> > > says...

> > > If you want to attract ducks to your wildlife pond, just install some
> > > duckweed. It didn't get that name by accident. The ducks will
> > > eliminate the duckweed, leaving you with the much peskier nuisance of
> > > too many ducks.
> > >
> > > Janet
> > But ducks eat slugs and are wonderful. We can no longer keep them because we live on a river.
> Could I post you some?
>
> My grand=dauighter recently counted 48 ducks on our pond
>
> Janet
I'd love it, we only really see them here in the spring when they come to mate and raise their young.

Jonathan