All constants are variables.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Would YOU grant access?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
`* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 +* Re: Would YOU grant access?Joel
 |`* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 | `* Re: Would YOU grant access?Joel
 |  `* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 |   `* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 |    `- Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 +* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 |`* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 | +- Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 | `* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 |  `* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 |   `* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 |    `* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 |     `* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 |      `* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 |       `* Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 |        `* Re: Would YOU grant access?David Brooks
 |         `- Re: Would YOU grant access?Snit
 `- Re: Would YOU grant access?Joerg Lorenz

1
Re: Would YOU grant access?

<xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15633&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15633

Subject: Re: Would YOU grant access?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 23:13:49 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 22:13 UTC

On 14/04/2023 David Brooks also wrote:
[....]

See:-  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108

Just another 'for instance'!

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<Jxl_L.123319$T%ac.41957@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15636&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15636

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 23:42:33 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 23:42 UTC

On Apr 14, 2023 at 3:13:49 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>:

> On 14/04/2023 David Brooks also wrote:
> [....]
>
> See:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108
>
> Just another 'for instance'!

As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
would.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<7jsj3i5lfubm1q6t6uaq9cemjgcb7pqu1e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15638&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15638

From: joelcr...@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:43:08 -0400
 by: Joel - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 00:43 UTC

Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Apr 14, 2023 at 3:13:49 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
><xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>:
>
>> See:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108
>>
>> Just another 'for instance'!
>
>As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
>would.

I actually purchased the basic Norton for Windows, when Microsoft's
Windows Security started acting funny, seemingly sending me a not-so-
subtle hint to buy a third party's antimalware. It was only $20
introductory price for the first year, and a reasonable price to renew
in the future. There are aspects of it I could live without, but it
seems OK, really. I don't trust McAfee, and I wouldn't really trust a
freeware one. Norton was a familiar name, albeit I realize it's
changed ownership a few times.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<JCm_L.268811$Sgyc.71817@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15639&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15639

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 00:56:09 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 00:56 UTC

On Apr 14, 2023 at 5:43:08 PM MST, "Joel" wrote
<7jsj3i5lfubm1q6t6uaq9cemjgcb7pqu1e@4ax.com>:

> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2023 at 3:13:49 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>:
>>
>>> See:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108
>>>
>>> Just another 'for instance'!
>>
>> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
>> would.
>

> I actually purchased the basic Norton for Windows, when Microsoft's
> Windows Security started acting funny, seemingly sending me a not-so-
> subtle hint to buy a third party's antimalware. It was only $20
> introductory price for the first year, and a reasonable price to renew
> in the future. There are aspects of it I could live without, but it
> seems OK, really. I don't trust McAfee, and I wouldn't really trust a
> freeware one. Norton was a familiar name, albeit I realize it's
> changed ownership a few times.

Years ago Norton used to slow systems down HORRIBLY... but that was long ago.
Have not heard much bad about it since then.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<jlvj3i5q0dlccl8kao591v1ak97lsdkci3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15642&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15642

From: joelcr...@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 21:33:17 -0400
 by: Joel - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 01:33 UTC

Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
>>> would.
>>
>> I actually purchased the basic Norton for Windows, when Microsoft's
>> Windows Security started acting funny, seemingly sending me a not-so-
>> subtle hint to buy a third party's antimalware. It was only $20
>> introductory price for the first year, and a reasonable price to renew
>> in the future. There are aspects of it I could live without, but it
>> seems OK, really. I don't trust McAfee, and I wouldn't really trust a
>> freeware one. Norton was a familiar name, albeit I realize it's
>> changed ownership a few times.
>
>Years ago Norton used to slow systems down HORRIBLY... but that was long ago.
>Have not heard much bad about it since then.

I have liked this current version, mostly. It does give me unneeded
information, about what it's doing in the background, but it's OK, I
haven't gotten annoyed per se, it's just kind of like "I get the
idea". It certainly was a good deal for the first year, better than
McAfee's introductory price, and it took care of the annoyance, with
Windows Security.

I had first encountered the weird issue, with Windows Security, when I
installed the Linux subsystem, on my previous Windows 11 installation,
which had been upgraded from the initial Win10 installation, from when
I built the machine, in 2021. I wanted to wipe out the Linux
subsystem, which was only possible by resetting or doing a clean
installation, so I made a USB installer drive, of the 2022 build of
Win11, and booted it, and started from the ground up. The Windows
Security issue was still present, so I bought Norton.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<cqs_L.1180688$t5W7.29360@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15644&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15644

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 08:32:24 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:32 UTC

On 15/04/2023 00:42, Snit wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2023 at 3:13:49 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>:
>
>> On 14/04/2023 David Brooks also wrote:
>> [....]
>>
>> See:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108
>>
>> Just another 'for instance'!
>
> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
> would.

What has Norton got to do with this?!!

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<Bxs_L.1968839$iS99.15070@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15645&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15645

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:40:17 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:40 UTC

On Apr 14, 2023 at 6:33:17 PM MST, "Joel" wrote
<jlvj3i5q0dlccl8kao591v1ak97lsdkci3@4ax.com>:

>>> I actually purchased the basic Norton for Windows, when Microsoft's
>>> Windows Security started acting funny, seemingly sending me a not-so-
>>> subtle hint to buy a third party's antimalware. It was only $20
>>> introductory price for the first year, and a reasonable price to renew
>>> in the future. There are aspects of it I could live without, but it
>>> seems OK, really. I don't trust McAfee, and I wouldn't really trust a
>>> freeware one. Norton was a familiar name, albeit I realize it's
>>> changed ownership a few times.
>>
>> Years ago Norton used to slow systems down HORRIBLY... but that was long ago.
>> Have not heard much bad about it since then.
>

> I have liked this current version, mostly. It does give me unneeded
> information, about what it's doing in the background, but it's OK, I
> haven't gotten annoyed per se, it's just kind of like "I get the
> idea".

I know one such program has options for what it reports... but been too long
and I do not remember the details. But there might be settings for that.

> It certainly was a good deal for the first year, better than
> McAfee's introductory price, and it took care of the annoyance, with
> Windows Security.
>
> I had first encountered the weird issue, with Windows Security, when I
> installed the Linux subsystem, on my previous Windows 11 installation,
> which had been upgraded from the initial Win10 installation, from when
> I built the machine, in 2021. I wanted to wipe out the Linux
> subsystem, which was only possible by resetting or doing a clean
> installation, so I made a USB installer drive, of the 2022 build of
> Win11, and booted it, and started from the ground up. The Windows
> Security issue was still present, so I bought Norton.

Makes sense... though a shame the issue did not go away.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<UBs_L.2321021$vBI8.2244452@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15647&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15647

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:44:52 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:44 UTC

On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:32:24 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<cqs_L.1180688$t5W7.29360@fx13.iad>:

> On 15/04/2023 00:42, Snit wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2023 at 3:13:49 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>:
>>
>>> On 14/04/2023 David Brooks also wrote:
>>> [....]
>>>
>>> See:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108
>>>
>>> Just another 'for instance'!
>>
>> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
>> would.
>
> What has Norton got to do with this?!!

No clue how this got onto this post... was responding to Joel who was speaking
of Norton. My apologies.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<bCs_L.1180690$t5W7.771920@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15648&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15648

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 08:45:11 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:45 UTC

On 15/04/2023 08:40, Snit wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2023 at 6:33:17 PM MST, "Joel" wrote
> <jlvj3i5q0dlccl8kao591v1ak97lsdkci3@4ax.com>:

>>> Years ago Norton used to slow systems down HORRIBLY... but that was long ago.
>>> Have not heard much bad about it since then.
>>

>> I have liked this current version, mostly. It does give me unneeded
>> information, about what it's doing in the background, but it's OK, I
>> haven't gotten annoyed per se, it's just kind of like "I get the
>> idea".
>
> I know one such program has options for what it reports... but been too long
> and I do not remember the details. But there might be settings for that.
>
>> It certainly was a good deal for the first year, better than
>> McAfee's introductory price, and it took care of the annoyance, with
>> Windows Security.
>>
>> I had first encountered the weird issue, with Windows Security, when I
>> installed the Linux subsystem, on my previous Windows 11 installation,
>> which had been upgraded from the initial Win10 installation, from when
>> I built the machine, in 2021. I wanted to wipe out the Linux
>> subsystem, which was only possible by resetting or doing a clean
>> installation, so I made a USB installer drive, of the 2022 build of
>> Win11, and booted it, and started from the ground up. The Windows
>> Security issue was still present, so I bought Norton.
>
> Makes sense... though a shame the issue did not go away.

You may be interested to know that my ISP - BT - here in the UK provide
Norton AV to ALL of its customers free of charge as part of its
Broadband deal. That's for either Windows OR Mac.

I've tried it and it doesn't appear to slow down performance noticeably.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<ODs_L.2021341$iU59.1064546@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15649&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15649

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 08:46:53 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:46 UTC

On 15/04/2023 08:44, Snit wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:32:24 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <cqs_L.1180688$t5W7.29360@fx13.iad>:
>
>> On 15/04/2023 00:42, Snit wrote:

>>> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
>>> would.
>>
>> What has Norton got to do with this?!!
>
> No clue how this got onto this post... was responding to Joel who was speaking
> of Norton. My apologies.

No worries! (Just confusing!)

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<RFs_L.319413$ZnFc.314266@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15650&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15650

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:49:05 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:49 UTC

On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:44:52 AM MST, "Snit" wrote
<UBs_L.2321021$vBI8.2244452@fx15.iad>:

> On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:32:24 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <cqs_L.1180688$t5W7.29360@fx13.iad>:
>
>> On 15/04/2023 00:42, Snit wrote:

>>> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
>>> would.
>>
>> What has Norton got to do with this?!!
>
> No clue how this got onto this post... was responding to Joel who was speaking
> of Norton. My apologies.

Actually, my apologies on the apology. LOL! But I was still wrong and will
offer another apology.

Your link speaks of NEIKEv2... which I mistakenly thought was a Norton tool.
It is not. Apparently it is a part of macOS and one that Norton uses:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v138741680
-----
The NEIKEv2Provider is a system service that uses the built-in
VPN protocol for Macs (IKEv2) to create secure VPN connections.
Norton uses this service when attempting to connect to the VPN.
-----

But given how it seems to be a part of macOS, I would not be concerned with
it, if it is needed.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<AGs_L.2021342$iU59.790549@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15651&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15651

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:49:52 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:49 UTC

On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:45:11 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<bCs_L.1180690$t5W7.771920@fx13.iad>:

> On 15/04/2023 08:40, Snit wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2023 at 6:33:17 PM MST, "Joel" wrote
>> <jlvj3i5q0dlccl8kao591v1ak97lsdkci3@4ax.com>:

>>> I have liked this current version, mostly. It does give me unneeded
>>> information, about what it's doing in the background, but it's OK, I
>>> haven't gotten annoyed per se, it's just kind of like "I get the
>>> idea".
>>
>> I know one such program has options for what it reports... but been too long
>> and I do not remember the details. But there might be settings for that.
>>
>>> It certainly was a good deal for the first year, better than
>>> McAfee's introductory price, and it took care of the annoyance, with
>>> Windows Security.
>>>
>>> I had first encountered the weird issue, with Windows Security, when I
>>> installed the Linux subsystem, on my previous Windows 11 installation,
>>> which had been upgraded from the initial Win10 installation, from when
>>> I built the machine, in 2021. I wanted to wipe out the Linux
>>> subsystem, which was only possible by resetting or doing a clean
>>> installation, so I made a USB installer drive, of the 2022 build of
>>> Win11, and booted it, and started from the ground up. The Windows
>>> Security issue was still present, so I bought Norton.
>>
>> Makes sense... though a shame the issue did not go away.
>
> You may be interested to know that my ISP - BT - here in the UK provide
> Norton AV to ALL of its customers free of charge as part of its
> Broadband deal. That's for either Windows OR Mac.

They likely were getting slammed with malware impacting them. Makes sense.

> I've tried it and it doesn't appear to slow down performance noticeably.

Good to know. Thanks.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<uit_L.244798$0dpc.206601@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15653&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15653

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 09:32:26 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 08:32 UTC

On 15/04/2023 08:49, Snit wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:44:52 AM MST, "Snit" wrote
> <UBs_L.2321021$vBI8.2244452@fx15.iad>:
>
>> On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:32:24 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <cqs_L.1180688$t5W7.29360@fx13.iad>:

>>> What has Norton got to do with this?!!
>>
>> No clue how this got onto this post... was responding to Joel who was speaking
>> of Norton. My apologies.
>
> Actually, my apologies on the apology. LOL! But I was still wrong and will
> offer another apology.

No worries! :-)

> Your link speaks of NEIKEv2... which I mistakenly thought was a Norton tool.
> It is not. Apparently it is a part of macOS and one that Norton uses:
>
> https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v138741680
> -----
> The NEIKEv2Provider is a system service that uses the built-in
> VPN protocol for Macs (IKEv2) to create secure VPN connections.
> Norton uses this service when attempting to connect to the VPN.
> -----
>
> But given how it seems to be a part of macOS, I would not be concerned with
> it, if it is needed.

If you check further, I think you'll find that it's NOT part of the macOS!

No need for further work on this, Snit.

Thanks for taking an interest.

--
David

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<u1ee59$3bf2p$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15667&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15667

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 16:59:53 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 14:59 UTC

Am 15.04.23 um 01:42 schrieb Snit:
> On Apr 14, 2023 at 3:13:49 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <xek_L.2076077$9sn9.1375310@fx17.iad>:
>
>> On 14/04/2023 David Brooks also wrote:
>> [....]
>>
>> See:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250842108
>>
>> Just another 'for instance'!
>
> As much as I am no fan of Norton, if I was installing their software I likely
> would.

Why are you deliberately compromising systems of any kind?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<l0A_L.186248$eRZ7.4412@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15670&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15670

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 16:10:57 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 16:10 UTC

On Apr 15, 2023 at 1:32:26 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<uit_L.244798$0dpc.206601@fx33.iad>:

> On 15/04/2023 08:49, Snit wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2023 at 12:44:52 AM MST, "Snit" wrote
>> <UBs_L.2321021$vBI8.2244452@fx15.iad>:

>>> No clue how this got onto this post... was responding to Joel who was speaking
>>> of Norton. My apologies.
>>
>> Actually, my apologies on the apology. LOL! But I was still wrong and will
>> offer another apology.
>
> No worries! :-)
>
>> Your link speaks of NEIKEv2... which I mistakenly thought was a Norton tool.
>> It is not. Apparently it is a part of macOS and one that Norton uses:
>>
>> https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v138741680
>> -----
>> The NEIKEv2Provider is a system service that uses the built-in
>> VPN protocol for Macs (IKEv2) to create secure VPN connections.
>> Norton uses this service when attempting to connect to the VPN.
>> -----
>>
>> But given how it seems to be a part of macOS, I would not be concerned with
>> it, if it is needed.
>

> If you check further, I think you'll find that it's NOT part of the macOS!

What is it a part of?

> No need for further work on this, Snit.
>
> Thanks for taking an interest.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<XNB_L.435624$5S78.136730@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15671&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15671

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 19:12:07 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 18:12 UTC

On 15/04/2023 18:00, Snit wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2023 at 9:31:32 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <EjA_L.1182687$t5W7.706573@fx13.iad>:
>
>> On 15/04/2023 17:10, Snit wrote:

>>> What is it a part of?
>>
>> Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) is a tunneling protocol, based
>> on IPsec,
>> that establishes a secure VPN communication between VPN devices and
>> defines negotiation
>> and authentication processes for IPsec security associations (SAs).
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Key_Exchange
>>
>> HTH
>
> But who provides the software? Does it come with macOS?

I believe it comes from the VPN provider, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<agC_L.1328800$gGD7.625787@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15673&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15673

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 18:44:22 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 18:44 UTC

On Apr 15, 2023 at 11:12:07 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<XNB_L.435624$5S78.136730@fx48.iad>:

>>> Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) is a tunneling protocol, based
>>> on IPsec,
>>> that establishes a secure VPN communication between VPN devices and
>>> defines negotiation
>>> and authentication processes for IPsec security associations (SAs).
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Key_Exchange
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>> But who provides the software? Does it come with macOS?

It is a part of the /System/Library/Frameworks/NetworkExtension.framework

Seems like it comes with macOS.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Would YOU grant access?

<kAC_L.1187051$t5W7.53789@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15674&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15674

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 19:05:52 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 19:05 UTC

On Apr 15, 2023 at 11:53:40 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<UoC_L.2415424$GNG9.114098@fx18.iad>:

> On 15/04/2023 19:44, Snit wrote:

>> It is a part of the /System/Library/Frameworks/NetworkExtension.framework
>>
>> Seems like it comes with macOS.
>>
>> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension
>
> Well researched! :-D
>
> I expect Apd and Rafters will be pleased to read that!
>
> Thanks.

Happy to help.

--

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15675&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15675

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 17:31:32 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 16:31 UTC

<yKA_L.1183785$t5W7.908726@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15676&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15676

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 17:00:14 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 17:00 UTC

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15682&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15682

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 19:53:40 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 18:53 UTC