From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Bin 2023-05-30
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 21:38:19 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 30 May 2023 21:38 UTC

Play:

Giga Wing (PS4 Capcom Arcade Stadium) - I used to be pretty terrible
at most shmups even decades ago, so you can imagine how massively my
skill level has increased since. Glossing over my crapitude, this
mostly seems decent enough; not having autofire is mildly annoying but
not a big problem in practice. What is a problem is having to hold the
fire button for a do-this-move-right-now-to-not-die reflect attack
thing which means for literally about half my deaths I was already
holding the button but hadn't quite been holding it for long enough.
Not a great bit of design that, even if your primary goal as an arcade
developer is having the machine make a nice big collection of coins
(because if most other shooters don't work like that, then presumably
players will just end up playing those instead).

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (PS4 Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium) - Capcom
in we-split-our-retro-collection-in-two-again shock, as absurd as that
seems with both being DLC-based. Puzzle Fighter is one of those games
I've probably bought almost as many times as Tetris Attack/Puzzle
League or Outrun. Being the arcade version arguably makes it inferior
to the PS1 version (mainly due to lacking the nicer take on the
music), but it seems like a good emulation. It's fair to say that I'm
better at this than most games in the Stadiums, but I still managed to
take a few continues on my way to clearing Normal.

Hitman 3 but Hitman: World of Assassination but also Hitman 3 (PS4) -
they made things "less confusing" for new players by changing the name
in some places yet not others. Nice. At least you get the Hitman and
Hitman 2 levels included - except they strangely didn't include the
Hitman 2 DLC levels, and I get the impression you would now have to
buy those in a much more expensive bundle (along with the
iffy-sounding Hitman 3 DLC I skipped). I played this again having
finally spotted that they added a new level last year, a sort of
island/jungle level you tackle at night. It's not too bad, but it's
(surprise) way too dark in places even with the gamma maxed, and seems
much too obviously like a less-fun retread of one of those Hitman 2
DLC levels.

Want:

To try Progear and Battle Circuit, the two other games I got for the
first Stadium.

Bin:

Not really wanting to even try the new Freelancer mode added to
Hitman: World Wide Whack, which I think has a sort of awkward
pseudo-roguelike setup - getting a permadeath on the 18th level or
something just sounds like it'd be hugely frustrating. And I can't
help feeling it's probably a not good sign if an actual roguelike
player isn't keen on playing your roguelike mode.

Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium's free game being... Son Son. Not sure what
we did to deserve that.

-Rus.

Re: Play Want Bin 2023-05-30

<s7ecnQotnOyyE-v5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1575&group=uk.games.video.misc#1575

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Play Want Bin 2023-05-30
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 00:00:47 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Wed, 31 May 2023 00:00 UTC

In article <f1udM.5703450$14z3.1987245@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Play:

OLED Switch (NSW) - Got an OLED Switch. Paid no money for it because I
have too many stupid credit card reward points from paying all my bills
online instead of with paper checks. Play games on it? Are you mad? All
I've done is set it up so that my kid can play on it. That means no
Joycons and a screen protector, which now has a little flake of dust
under it and I find myself not really caring.

>Want:

Dynamite Deka (PS2) - One of the Sega Ages cames that I really want, but
I'm not sure I can justify a $45 purchase given that I have a perfectly
good and nearly arcade-perfect Sega Saturn disc sitting here unloved.

>Bin:

Nothing game related. Expenditure reporting will resume next weekend
when I presumably have more free time.

-KKC, who hates that he had to connect Joycons to get the Switch set up.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Play Want Bin 2023-05-30