Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Summer Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jun 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 05:50:24 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 05:50 UTC

Travel and excitement! And a slightly lower risk of respiratory
infection.

Play:
--=--

Sword of Sodan (MD) - Wait, is the thing on the Evercade cart an arcade
port or a Megadrive port? Doesn't matter, it's a terrible game. Giant
digitised images of people that fill the screen but barely move or emote
in any meaningful way. I can't believe that this was considered a
cutting-edge game title at one point.

Alien Breed (AMG) - Probably the star attraction on the Team 17 Evercade
cart. I thought it was a fast-paced Alien Syndrome clone, but it's a bit
slower and more deliberate than that. It's also clearly a home computer
game in that there's an implicit expectation that you're either
save-scumming or otherwise watching out for points of no return, which I
would find annoying if I were more invested.

Want:
--=--

Cybiko - This isn't a serious thing that I want to hunt down, but I was
recently reminded that just after 2000 there was a little handheld
computer that was marketed to teens that had a library of freeware games
published for it. Most or all of the devices are essentially LCD soup at
this point, and I never owned one so I don't have the appropriate
nostalgia to appreciate an emulator. This is by way of saying that I
wonder if there's enough demand for an FPGA core.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,414

Shockwave Assault (PSX) - $8
Exit (PSP) - $11
Rush (PSP) - $8
Sega Classics Collection (PS2) - $9
Pac Man Special Colour Edition (GBC) - Free!
Solar Striker (GB) - Free!

Total to date - $2,450

-KKC, who has too much to do this week.

Re: Summer Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jun 2023)

<BxjfM.5354584$US27.2271702@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1578&group=uk.games.video.misc#1578

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Summer Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jun 2023)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 11:20:01 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 11:20 UTC

> Play:

Battle Circuit (PS4 Capcom Arcade Stadium) - with it being 2D I
suppose I can call this a scrolling beat-em-up, and it's... um... a
bit of a mess frankly, but kind of not too bad. It's hard to know how
to describe it, a bit like Final Fight with weirder baddies and
wackier graphics maybe, and some moves reminiscent of Street Fighter 2
and Golden Axe.

CP/M Rogue (ZCN) - a rather lengthy "quick test" in my browser-based
port of nc100em, I think I got down to dungeon level 14 or so.
Previously I said "I probably have Attack of the Rust Monsters 2 in my
future", and clearly this was it. I had three sets of armour and all
of them got thoroughly trashed by the many rust monsters even with my
best attempts to change or remove armour when I spotted them. They are
so, so overpowered in this. What finally got me though, was a mimic -
it turns out that they can hit pretty hard, or they do if you have
crappy armour at least. And the unidentified wand I tried using at the
last moment turned out to be a wand of light, which as final dramatic
rolls of the dice go was fairly underwhelming.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Battle Circuit having you buy moves between levels. It slows the game
down for no good reason and gets annoying if you play the game more
than once - as you don't just have to remember the moves, but also
whether you've bought them yet or not.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Summer Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 5 Jun 2023)