From: pwllgl...@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Blight
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 20:25:28 +0000
 by: Polly@golly - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 20:25 UTC

I have cleared an outdoor growbag of tomtoes covered in blight. The
plants are going of to the council tip, but what about the soil in the
growbag. Should I just dig it in to my veggie patch (I do not grow
potatoes) or should I put it in my copmost, or takr it to the tip? I'm
not sure if the fungii things will remain in the soil if I keep it.

Thanks

Re: Blight

<sml6aq$q86$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1585&group=uk.rec.gardening#1585

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Blight
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:49:45 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:49 UTC

On 11/11/2021 20:25, Polly@golly wrote:
> I have cleared an outdoor growbag of tomtoes covered in blight. The
> plants are going of to the council tip, but what about the soil in the
> growbag. Should I just dig it in to my veggie patch (I do not grow
> potatoes) or should I put it in my copmost, or takr it to the tip? I'm
> not sure if the fungii things will remain in the soil if I keep it.
>
> Thanks

Council tip.

From <https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=217>
"The presence of new blight strains in the UK means that the pathogen
now has the potential to produce resting spores (oospores) in the
affected plant tissues. The oospores are released from the rotting
tissues to contaminate the soil. These resting spores have yet to be
found in the UK, but analysis of the recent variations occurring in
blight strains in some parts of the UK suggests that they could be being
produced. Little is currently known about their survival and their
potential as a source of the disease, but investigations are continuing
and more information is likely to become available over the next few
years. However, because oospores are resilient structures, if they are
produced in infected foliage it is quite possible that they will survive
many home garden composting systems. This is why it is preferable to
dispose of waste from blighted crops in other ways. Municipal and
commercial composting systems reach the very high temperatures necessary
to kill oospores and other resilient pathogen propagules."

--

Jeff

Re: Blight

<smo0hs$7ic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1586&group=uk.rec.gardening#1586

From: pwllgl...@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 09:29:32 +0000
 by: Polly@golly - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 09:29 UTC

On 12/11/2021 07:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 20:25, Polly@golly wrote:
>> I have cleared an outdoor growbag of tomtoes covered in blight. The
>> plants are going of to the council tip, but what about the soil in the
>> growbag. Should I just dig it in to my veggie patch (I do not grow
>> potatoes) or should I put it in my copmost, or takr it to the tip? I'm
>> not sure if the fungii things will remain in the soil if I keep it.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Council tip.
>
> From <https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=217>
> "The presence of new blight strains in the UK means that the pathogen
> now has the potential to produce resting spores (oospores) in the
> affected plant tissues. The oospores are released from the rotting
> tissues to contaminate the soil. These resting spores have yet to be
> found in the UK, but analysis of the recent variations occurring in
> blight strains in some parts of the UK suggests that they could be being
> produced. Little is currently known about their survival and their
> potential as a source of the disease, but investigations are continuing
> and more information is likely to become available over the next few
> years. However, because oospores are resilient structures, if they are
> produced in infected foliage it is quite possible that they will survive
> many home garden composting systems. This is why it is preferable to
> dispose of waste from blighted crops in other ways. Municipal and
> commercial composting systems reach the very high temperatures necessary
> to kill oospores and other resilient pathogen propagules."

Thank you Jeff, good job I had not taken the other stuff to the tip yet!