I wonder if I ought to tell them about my PREVIOUS LIFE as a COMPLETE STRANGER?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cars.maintenance / Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

SubjectAuthor
* Brake pipes on the old SD1Dave Plowman (News)
`* Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1Davey
 +* Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1Dave Plowman (News)
 |`* Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1Davey
 | `* Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1Dave Plowman (News)
 |  `- Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1Davey
 `- Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1Dave Plowman (News)

1
Brake pipes on the old SD1

<5949d53278dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=156&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#156

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Brake pipes on the old SD1
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 13:13:02 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:13 UTC

Took the SD1 for an MOT. It ran out last year - the car hasn't been used
due to Covid.

Did test everything I could before the test - including doing an emergency
stop. All seemed OK.

On the actual test, a brake pipe split on the brake rollers. Not a hose
but a steel one. Lucky it happened there, rather on the road.

There is an absolute rats nest of pipes below the master cylinder - to the
front/rear balance valve. And this late car has even more pipework due to
a different secondary system. All of which well buried. Behind the engine,
etc, and very difficult to trace.

Because they were all rusty to some extent, am going to replace the lot.
They'll have to be cut off the balance valve as well and truly rusted in
place.

Can I find a diagram of the pipe layout/runs? BL manual no help. Parts
lists only show the early cars. So I'm going to have to draw it out
myself. The kit of new pipes in Cunifer won't arrive until next week
anyway.

--
*Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

<20210710164332.278acfa0@david-NL40-50CU>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=157&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#157

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 16:43:32 +0100
 by: Davey - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 15:43 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 13:13:02 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> Took the SD1 for an MOT. It ran out last year - the car hasn't been
> used due to Covid.
>
> Did test everything I could before the test - including doing an
> emergency stop. All seemed OK.
>
> On the actual test, a brake pipe split on the brake rollers. Not a
> hose but a steel one. Lucky it happened there, rather on the road.
>
> There is an absolute rats nest of pipes below the master cylinder -
> to the front/rear balance valve. And this late car has even more
> pipework due to a different secondary system. All of which well
> buried. Behind the engine, etc, and very difficult to trace.
>
> Because they were all rusty to some extent, am going to replace the
> lot. They'll have to be cut off the balance valve as well and truly
> rusted in place.
>
> Can I find a diagram of the pipe layout/runs? BL manual no help. Parts
> lists only show the early cars. So I'm going to have to draw it out
> myself. The kit of new pipes in Cunifer won't arrive until next week
> anyway.

That sounds like the wiring on my HRG, which a friend had restored
while I was away in the US. Whoever did the wiring left several
surprises, such as the turn indicator wiring changing colour at the
front chassis member J-box. The left signal wire goes to the right
side, and the left has a piece of wire that must have been found loose
on the garage floor. I made my own wiring diagram, as you will be doing
with your brake lines.

--
Davey.

Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

<5949f2a8f3dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=158&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#158

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:34:52 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 17:34 UTC

In article <20210710164332.278acfa0@david-NL40-50CU>,
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 13:13:02 +0100
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > Took the SD1 for an MOT. It ran out last year - the car hasn't been
> > used due to Covid.
> >
> > Did test everything I could before the test - including doing an
> > emergency stop. All seemed OK.
> >
> > On the actual test, a brake pipe split on the brake rollers. Not a
> > hose but a steel one. Lucky it happened there, rather on the road.
> >
> > There is an absolute rats nest of pipes below the master cylinder -
����������
��:����A��A��A�nQ

Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

<20210710235014.71900d06@david-NL40-50CU>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=159&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#159

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 23:50:14 +0100
 by: Davey - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:50 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:34:52 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <20210710164332.278acfa0@david-NL40-50CU>,
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 13:13:02 +0100
> > "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Took the SD1 for an MOT. It ran out last year - the car hasn't
> > > been used due to Covid.
> > >
> > > Did test everything I could before the test - including doing an
> > > emergency stop. All seemed OK.
> > >
> > > On the actual test, a brake pipe split on the brake rollers. Not a
> > > hose but a steel one. Lucky it happened there, rather on the road.
> > >
> > > There is an absolute rats nest of pipes below the master cylinder
> > > -
> __________
> __:____A__A__A_nQ

Maybe I need some different encoding, but that comes up as
rubbish on my PC.
--
Davey.

Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

<594a125205dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=160&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#160

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 00:20:45 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 23:20 UTC

In article <20210710235014.71900d06@david-NL40-50CU>,
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:34:52 +0100
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <20210710164332.278acfa0@david-NL40-50CU>,
> > Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> > __________
> > __:____A__A__A_nQ

> Maybe I need some different encoding, but that comes up as
> rubbish on my PC.

I've no idea what happened there.

This is what I replied:-

I've been very lucky. On Facebook, someone had taken pics of the pipes
with the engine out. Which saves me trying to draw them.

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

<20210711095149.24b1c34a@david-NL40-50CU>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=161&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#161

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 09:51:49 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:51 UTC

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 00:20:45 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <20210710235014.71900d06@david-NL40-50CU>,
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 18:34:52 +0100
> > "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > > __________
> > > __:____A__A__A_nQ
>
> > Maybe I need some different encoding, but that comes up as
> > rubbish on my PC.
>
> I've no idea what happened there.
>
> This is what I replied:-
>
> I've been very lucky. On Facebook, someone had taken pics of the pipes
> with the engine out. Which saves me trying to draw them.

That's good
--
Davey.

Re: Brake pipes on the old SD1

<594a4ed967dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=162&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#162

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:21:47 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 10:21 UTC

In article <20210710164332.278acfa0@david-NL40-50CU>,
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> That sounds like the wiring on my HRG, which a friend had restored
> while I was away in the US. Whoever did the wiring left several
> surprises, such as the turn indicator wiring changing colour at the
> front chassis member J-box. The left signal wire goes to the right
> side, and the left has a piece of wire that must have been found loose
> on the garage floor. I made my own wiring diagram, as you will be doing
> with your brake lines.

Most of the wiring diagrams you see for old cars are in black and white -
and often too small to read detail easily.

For the SD1, I scanned it and used that as a templet to draw it as a
vector drawing. With all the wiring in the correct colours. And instead of
a number which referenced to another page to tell you what was what, the
names printed beside them. As you can zoom in a vector drawing without it
going fuzzy. Even when converted to a PDF.

I'm not surprised the wrong colours were used to extend your loom. Par for
the course, as few can be bothered to source the correct colours - and of
course cut lengths are more expensive than a full reel.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*