You have many friends and very few living enemies.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

SubjectAuthor
* Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountAndy Hewitt
`* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountJoerg Lorenz
 +* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountwhisky-dave
 |+* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountMark
 ||`- Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountSn!pe
 |`* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountJoerg Lorenz
 | `* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountAndy Hewitt
 |  +- Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountJoerg Lorenz
 |  `- Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountDavid Kennedy
 `* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountAlan B
  `* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountAndy Hewitt
   +- Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountJoerg Lorenz
   `* Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountAlan B
    `- Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail accountDavid Kennedy

1
Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u20mba$39el8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15804&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15804

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:10:02 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:10 UTC

I've finally managed to do it. I've deleted my old Gmail account, after
having managed, finally, to change all my old logins to not need it any
more.

I only needed it lately to login to YouTube sometimes (not really a
heavy user of it), but I do have a handful of subscriptions.

So, I created a new account using my 'alternative' iCloud account
address, and only set up the YouTube and privacy bits. I ignored to
option to setup the Gmail module.

Once I got that setup and logged in, I sent the deletion order for the
old account.

Kind of sad in a way, but librating in others (even though I hadn't used
it as an email account for a long time, it's still been the busiest for
spam).

--
Andy H

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u25hd7$3moee$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15850&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15850

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:16:23 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 09:16 UTC

Am 22.04.23 um 15:10 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
> I've finally managed to do it. I've deleted my old Gmail account, after
> having managed, finally, to change all my old logins to not need it any
> more.
>
> I only needed it lately to login to YouTube sometimes (not really a
> heavy user of it), but I do have a handful of subscriptions.
>
> So, I created a new account using my 'alternative' iCloud account
> address, and only set up the YouTube and privacy bits. I ignored to
> option to setup the Gmail module.
>
> Once I got that setup and logged in, I sent the deletion order for the
> old account.
>
> Kind of sad in a way, but librating in others (even though I hadn't used
> it as an email account for a long time, it's still been the busiest for
> spam).

Well done!
The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.

Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<28589114-9ffb-4f0a-8874-9d84ed8d0d7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15870&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15870

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 08:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:16 UTC

On Monday, 24 April 2023 at 10:16:24 UTC+1, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 22.04.23 um 15:10 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
> > I've finally managed to do it. I've deleted my old Gmail account, after
> > having managed, finally, to change all my old logins to not need it any
> > more.
> >
> > I only needed it lately to login to YouTube sometimes (not really a
> > heavy user of it), but I do have a handful of subscriptions.
> >
> > So, I created a new account using my 'alternative' iCloud account
> > address, and only set up the YouTube and privacy bits. I ignored to
> > option to setup the Gmail module.
> >
> > Once I got that setup and logged in, I sent the deletion order for the
> > old account.
> >
> > Kind of sad in a way, but librating in others (even though I hadn't used
> > it as an email account for a long time, it's still been the busiest for
> > spam).
> Well done!
> The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.

I thought hotmail was their favourite
I use quite a few gmail accounts for various things and spam doesn;t seem to get through to my inboxes.
I get more spam in my single use office.outlook.

> Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)

Can't see why as I used both without a problem.

> --
> Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u2679g$d33j$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15874&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15874

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:29:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:29 UTC

On 2023-04-24, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 22.04.23 um 15:10 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
>> I've finally managed to do it. I've deleted my old Gmail account, after
>> having managed, finally, to change all my old logins to not need it any
>> more.
>>
>> I only needed it lately to login to YouTube sometimes (not really a
>> heavy user of it), but I do have a handful of subscriptions.
>>
>> So, I created a new account using my 'alternative' iCloud account
>> address, and only set up the YouTube and privacy bits. I ignored to
>> option to setup the Gmail module.
>>
>> Once I got that setup and logged in, I sent the deletion order for the
>> old account.
>>
>> Kind of sad in a way, but librating in others (even though I hadn't used
>> it as an email account for a long time, it's still been the busiest for
>> spam).
>
> Well done!
> The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.
>
> Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)

I just use mine to satisfy any requirements for a valid email address by
usenet service providers. I rarely access it so it may well be full of spam.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u2684l$d7f3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15877&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15877

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 16:44:21 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:44 UTC

On 24/04/2023 16:29, Alan B wrote:
> On 2023-04-24, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>> Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)
>
> I just use mine to satisfy any requirements for a valid email address by
> usenet service providers. I rarely access it so it may well be full of spam.

That's pretty much how I used mine for a long time, but I've started
using the 'Hide my Email' feature in Apple's system, and decided to
ditch the Gmail account.

Of course nothing's perfect, but I'm at a point where I want to really
start simplifying stuff a bit more now. I really can't be bothered with
faffing about with workarounds, and trying to fight everything off.

For me, the stuff Apple has been putting into their systems is working
quite well now, and I'm finding less need to put effort into
alternatives any more - it's at least within the laws of diminishing
returns as far as I'm concerned.

--
Andy H

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u268gl$3n588$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15878&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15878

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 17:50:45 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 15:50 UTC

Am 24.04.23 um 17:44 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
> Of course nothing's perfect, but I'm at a point where I want to really
> start simplifying stuff a bit more now. I really can't be bothered with
> faffing about with workarounds, and trying to fight everything off.

I try very hard since I'm retired. Fact is: Things and communication get
technically more complicated still. Can't blame anybody else. My own fault.

Seems I can learn a few things here in the group ... seriously!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u26qgf$g63f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15886&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15886

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 21:57:51 +0100
 by: Mark - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 20:57 UTC

On 2023-04-24 15:16:41 +0000, whisky-dave said:

> On Monday, 24 April 2023 at 10:16:24 UTC+1, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 22.04.23 um 15:10 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
>>> I've finally managed to do it. I've deleted my old Gmail account, after
>>> having managed, finally, to change all my old logins to not need it any
>>> more.
>>>
>>> I only needed it lately to login to YouTube sometimes (not really a
>>> heavy user of it), but I do have a handful of subscriptions.
>>>
>>> So, I created a new account using my 'alternative' iCloud account
>>> address, and only set up the YouTube and privacy bits. I ignored to
>>> option to setup the Gmail module.
>>>
>>> Once I got that setup and logged in, I sent the deletion order for the
>>> old account.
>>>
>>> Kind of sad in a way, but librating in others (even though I hadn't used
>>> it as an email account for a long time, it's still been the busiest for
>>> spam).
>> Well done!
>> The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.
>
> I thought hotmail was their favourite
> I use quite a few gmail accounts for various things and spam doesn;t
> seem to get through to my inboxes.
> I get more spam in my single use office.outlook.
>

>> Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)
>
> Can't see why as I used both without a problem.
>

>> --
>> Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Same here - three gmail accounts I use frequently, and a few more just
kicking around.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<1q9pq74.16llr4qn8lk2N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15887&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15887

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 22:31:57 +0100
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 21:31 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2023-04-24 15:16:41 +0000, whisky-dave said:

> >> Well done!
> >> The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.
> >
> > I thought hotmail was their favourite
> > I use quite a few gmail accounts for various things and spam doesn;t
> > seem to get through to my inboxes.
> > I get more spam in my single use office.outlook.
> >

> >> Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)
> >
> > Can't see why as I used both without a problem.
> >

> >> --
> >> Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)
>
> Same here - three gmail accounts I use frequently, and a few more just
> kicking around.

Likewise: all of my several gmail accounts, including my primary
address, are almost entirely spam free. I don't need to obfuscate
even my Usenet From: and Reply-To: addresses.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u27pao$3ub8p$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15890&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15890

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:43:52 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 05:43 UTC

Am 24.04.23 um 17:16 schrieb whisky-dave:
> On Monday, 24 April 2023 at 10:16:24 UTC+1, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Well done!
>> The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.
>
> I thought hotmail was their favourite

At the end of the last century Hotmail was popular but primarily in the
US. I really do not remember when I encountered a hotmail-address the
last time. Gmail took over. And users of this Domain are also
stigmatized already.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u27uml$p0cb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15894&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15894

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:15:33 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:15 UTC

On 25/04/2023 06:43, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 24.04.23 um 17:16 schrieb whisky-dave:
>> On Monday, 24 April 2023 at 10:16:24 UTC+1, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>> Well done!
>>> The domain gmail.com is very rewarding for spammers.
>>
>> I thought hotmail was their favourite
>
> At the end of the last century Hotmail was popular but primarily in the
> US. I really do not remember when I encountered a hotmail-address the
> last time. Gmail took over. And users of this Domain are also
> stigmatized already.

My wife still uses a Hotmail account. Has used it for as long as she's
had an email address.

'Already'? Gmail has been around almost 2 decades, and the idea of it
precedes Hotmail.

I don't stigmatize users of it anyway. I just don't personally like
using Google products any more, at least no more than I absolutely have
to (pretty much only the occasional YouTube video). Users can choose
what they feel works best for them.

The early days of Google were OK, then they turned into a greedy
behemoth, only wanting to exploit the population to make profits at
whatever the cost.

To be honest, I do watch how things develop, and even change my
perspective over time. I'd even now choose a Microsoft product over
Google. MS have been that greedy behemoth too, but I feel they learnt
from that, and don't do so badly nowadays.

Of course, Apple are probably now that greedy behemoth too, but they
don't appear to be doing it at the expense of *my* privacy and data.

--
Andy H

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u2801m$3ueos$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15895&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15895

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:38:30 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 07:38 UTC

Am 25.04.23 um 09:15 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
> On 25/04/2023 06:43, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought hotmail was their favourite
>>
>> At the end of the last century Hotmail was popular but primarily in the
>> US. I really do not remember when I encountered a hotmail-address the
>> last time. Gmail took over. And users of this Domain are also
>> stigmatized already.
>
> My wife still uses a Hotmail account. Has used it for as long as she's
> had an email address.
>
> 'Already'? Gmail has been around almost 2 decades, and the idea of it
> precedes Hotmail.
>
> I don't stigmatize users of it anyway.

On my Pixel 7 I use a Gmail address for the play store, system mails and
Youtube. Otherwise I keep it completely separated from my Apple- and
Linux-world. Google is an evil monster that compromises my and other
people's privacy. And Google is responsible for more than one third of
the spam I get. Their servers are misused for that and they do not much
against it. For these reasons to use a Gmail address has very negative
reputational implications. Compared to some years ago I do not know many
people any more who use Gmail as there daily and regular e-mail.

I filter all mails originating from Google-servers or the Google-domain
unread to the trash bin.

> Of course, Apple are probably now that greedy behemoth too, but they
> don't appear to be doing it at the expense of *my* privacy and data.

That is absolutely key! And more so Apple offers E2E-encryption since
the introduction of iOS 16 and macOS 13. I use it and I'm very happy
with it.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u282ab$ppdi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15900&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15900

From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:17:15 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:17 UTC

On 25/04/2023 08:15, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> I don't stigmatize users of it anyway. I just don't personally like using
> Google products any more, at least no more than I absolutely have to (pretty
> much only the occasional YouTube video). Users can choose what they feel works
> best for them.
>
> The early days of Google were OK, then they turned into a greedy behemoth,
> only wanting to exploit the population to make profits at whatever the cost.
>
> Of course, Apple are probably now that greedy behemoth too, but they don't
> appear to be doing it at the expense of *my* privacy and data.

What he said.

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u283s2$q282$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15905&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15905

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:43:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:43 UTC

On 2023-04-24, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> On 24/04/2023 16:29, Alan B wrote:
>> On 2023-04-24, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>>> Didn't it feel a bit awkward to use a gmail-address with a Mac? ;-)
>>
>> I just use mine to satisfy any requirements for a valid email address by
>> usenet service providers. I rarely access it so it may well be full of spam.
>
> That's pretty much how I used mine for a long time, but I've started
> using the 'Hide my Email' feature in Apple's system, and decided to
> ditch the Gmail account.

Just had a look at my gmail account folders after many weeks and no sign of
any junk. I have no filters of my own set up so I assume Google's filters must
be doing a good job as I can't believe I would not have been targeted.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Saying goodbye to my old Gmail account

<u2841m$q4lo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15907&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#15907

From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:46:46 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:46 UTC

On 25/04/2023 09:43, Alan B wrote:
> On 2023-04-24, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> I just use mine to satisfy any requirements for a valid email address by
>>> usenet service providers. I rarely access it so it may well be full of spam.
>>
>> That's pretty much how I used mine for a long time, but I've started
>> using the 'Hide my Email' feature in Apple's system, and decided to
>> ditch the Gmail account.
>
> Just had a look at my gmail account folders after many weeks and no sign of
> any junk. I have no filters of my own set up so I assume Google's filters must
> be doing a good job as I can't believe I would not have been targeted.

I don't get too much spam but there again I rarely sign up for any news
letters etc. and only - for the past few years - use Apple products.
Of course, this might be coincidental.