From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: When to pick apples
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:28:43 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:28 UTC

I have a little family apple tree in a tub on my patio. It cropped
quite well this year and I have enjoyed eating most of the apples,
picking them in the approved manner - lift and twist and if they detach
they're ready. I picked the last a few weeks ago. However, there are
still five Cox's Orange Pippins on the tree which tell me every day that
they are not yet ready to detach.

Are they really still doing anything useful on the tree or should I go
ahead and forcefully remove them?

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: When to pick apples

<smo9ui$1l0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1597&group=uk.rec.gardening#1597

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: When to pick apples
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:09:53 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:09 UTC

On 13/11/2021 11:28, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> I have a little family apple tree in a tub on my patio.  It cropped
> quite well this year and I have enjoyed eating most of the apples,
> picking them in the approved manner - lift and twist and if they detach
> they're ready.  I picked the last a few weeks ago.  However, there are
> still five Cox's Orange Pippins on the tree which tell me every day that
> they are not yet ready to detach.
>
> Are they really still doing anything useful on the tree or should I go
> ahead and forcefully remove them?

If they don't want to come off then they aren't ripe yet.
OTOH the birds may peck the tops if you leave it for too long.

I "harvested" my big apple tree on Monday all 7 apples on it. Two of
them had been bird pecked. In a normal year I would have 200kg of them.

Pears you tend to pick earlier and ripen off the tree.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown