"Let us condemn to hellfire all those who disagree with us." -- militant religionists everywhere

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

SubjectAuthor
* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesRustyHinge
+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesogden
|+- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies"Worst Case"
|`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesYTC#1
+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesYTC#1
|`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesRustyHinge
+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesTim+
|+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesGeoffC
||+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesChamp
|||+- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesgeoffC
|||`* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesStephen Packer
||| `- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliescentral77
||`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesRustyHinge
|+- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesStephen Packer
|`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesPipl
+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesajh
|`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesStephen Packer
+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesAlan Lee
|`* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesChamp
| +- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesAlan Lee
| `* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesChamp
|  `- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesYTC#1
`* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replieschrisnd@privacy.net
 +* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesChris Elvidge
 |+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replieschrisnd@privacy.net
 ||+* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesSn!pe
 |||`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replieschrisnd@privacy.net
 ||+- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesChris Elvidge
 ||`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesSam Plusnet
 |+- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesAhem A Rivet's Shot
 |`* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesChamp
 | +- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesTone
 | `* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesYTC#1
 |  `- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesSam Plusnet
 +* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesAndy Burns
 |`- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replieschrisnd @ukrm
 `* OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesRustyHinge
  +- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no repliesNicholas D. Richards
  `- OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replieschrisnd@privacy.net

Pages:12
OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1om52$1mnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15996&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15996

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:17:37 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:17 UTC

uk.rec.sheds uk.rec.motorcycles

Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
supply, and have had zilch response?

Hence: can anyone suggest someone who wou;d do the work on a property
(in South Norfolk)?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<e4ba7861-a79d-40db-b749-1745f89e28cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15999&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#15999

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:09:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:09 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> supply, and have had zilch response?

Same reason that I had no response from a multitude of local roofers, despite one of them paying to have a leaflet put through my letterbox almost every fucking week.

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<b6ee7a57dc67f50728df3bd019fb6f51@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16001&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16001

From: "Worst C...@dizum.com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:40:19 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
 by: "Worst C...@dizum.com - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:40 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 08:09:54 -0700 (PDT), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com> wrote:

> RustyHinge wrote:

> > Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> > ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> > supply, and have had zilch response?

> Same reason that I had no response from a multitude of local
> roofers, despite one of them paying to have a leaflet put through my
> letterbox almost every fucking week.

Same reason that small-business owners are advised that advertising is
a fixed expense and not a variable one. It matters not that you never
know whether any of it ever does any good. It matters not that even
demonstrating efficacy of advertising at all is impossible. You have
to do it, anyway. You have to have faith and cultivate a good,
ongoing relationship with Media.

It's all bullshit, though.

In the afore attested obvious cases, the entrepreneurs have followed
conventional wisdom about funding their fixed expenses (which have to
do with staying in business) separately from their variable expenses
(which have to do with keeping up with demand), and aren't really
tooled up to do the volume of business that matches their level of
advertising.

--
Worst Case

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1pcvs$584s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16002&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16002

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:47:24 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:47 UTC

On 19/04/2023 16:09, ogden wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
>> ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
>> supply, and have had zilch response?
>
> Same reason that I had no response from a multitude of local roofers, despite one of them paying to have a leaflet put through my letterbox almost every fucking week.

Don't fucking start me on roofers.
They were a bunch of cunts last year when I wanted it doing pre-solar
install.
No calls returned, and if they answered they could not/would not say
when it may be possible to at least give a price.

In the end I paid over the top (IMP), but at least it is sorted.

Now local roofers are looking for work. Well, they can all fuck of.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1pd4p$584s$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16003&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16003

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:50:01 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 18:50 UTC

On 19/04/2023 13:17, RustyHinge wrote:
> uk.rec.sheds   uk.rec.motorcycles
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> supply, and have had zilch response?

Because they are cunts?

> Hence: can anyone suggest someone who wou;d do the work on a property
> (in South Norfolk)?

Isn't the Octopus scheme down there?

Also try Solar Together https://solartogether.co.uk/landing

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<650564729.703627951.505336.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16004&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16004

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 19 Apr 2023 20:14:45 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:14 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> uk.rec.sheds uk.rec.motorcycles
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> supply, and have had zilch response?

Possibly because they have more orders than they can deal with, especially
with a world shortage of panels, inverters and batteries. (Or more
accurately, all those available to the world outside China).

Begs the question why they continue to advertise though..

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<kab1lgFdqs0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16005&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16005

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (ajh)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 21:36:00 +0100
 by: ajh - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 20:36 UTC

On 19/04/2023 13:17, RustyHinge wrote:
> uk.rec.sheds   uk.rec.motorcycles
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> supply, and have had zilch response?
>
> Hence: can anyone suggest someone who wou;d do the work on a property
> (in South Norfolk)?

others have mentioned the advertising business foibles.

Demand and availability of kit are limiting plus most of the bigger
installers compete for roofers, scaffolding and MCS qualified electricians.

It took just over a year from quotes to commissioning on my Daughter's
panels, battery and EV charger. Worth it though as she has not bought
any electricity for home or car in the 2 months since, quite a few days
with over 25kWh produced.

Electricity prices are expected to fall by the end of summer, demand may
slacken.

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1qcas$djg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16007&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16007

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:42:20 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 03:42 UTC

On 19/04/2023 19:50, YTC#1 wrote:

> Isn't the Octopus scheme down there?
>
> Also try Solar Together https://solartogether.co.uk/landing

Ta.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1qouc$gjeu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16008&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16008

From: me...@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 07:17:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 07:17 UTC

Tim+ wrote:

> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> > uk.rec.sheds uk.rec.motorcycles
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one
> > full-page ads for installing solar panels and the guff for
> > connecting them to my supply, and have had zilch response?
>
> Possibly because they have more orders than they can deal with,
> especially with a world shortage of panels, inverters and batteries.
> (Or more accurately, all those available to the world outside China).

No shortage here in NL. 3 estimates last december, panels installed end
of february.

<lights blue touch paper>

I blame Brexit.

<retreats>

> Begs the question why they continue to advertise though..

Quite

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1qpj7$gh93$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16009&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16009

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:28:39 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 07:28 UTC

On 19/04/2023 13:17, RustyHinge wrote:
> uk.rec.sheds   uk.rec.motorcycles
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> supply, and have had zilch response?

Demand of work?
I had no work at all 3 weeks ago, I was getting a bit worried. Now I've
got too much on, and cannot take anything else on for at least 2 months.
Even fitting in quotes for people is not happening at the moment.

> Hence: can anyone suggest someone who wou;d do the work on a property
> (in South Norfolk)?

I would only go for EV panels by personal recommendation.You've got 2
factors to consider, the fixing of them to the roof, and keeping the
roof watertight, and the electrical connections and keeping that side
safe.There is a lot that can go wrong.
Some of the installs I see are truly awful. The 'big' companies doing it
do not pay a good enough rate to get good workers, so they are
advertising for workers with no prior experience, at a reduced rate, and
hoping they Workers will be OK. I'm getting calls and emails every day
asking me to do 'renewables'. Almost always, the rates are not enough,
they are offering £18-20/hr when the going rate for agency staff is £24-26.
YTC mentioned Octopus. I have seen one of their ASHP installs, it wasnt
good, but, they were the cheapest by far, so they obviously cut corners
when doing it.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<b7fe18f3-fa32-4f9e-ae9f-39b7a31b99b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16010&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16010

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 02:15:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:15 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 April 2023 at 21:14:47 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> > uk.rec.sheds uk.rec.motorcycles
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a reason why I answer two half-page and one full-page
> > ads for installing solar panels and the guff for connecting them to my
> > supply, and have had zilch response?
> Possibly because they have more orders than they can deal with, especially
> with a world shortage of panels, inverters and batteries. (Or more
> accurately, all those available to the world outside China).
>
> Begs the question why they continue to advertise though..

Maintaining a pipeline of business?

Keeping their name 'out there' so people who aren't buying today recognise
the name when they think about buying in the future?

Alternatively they've read Rusty Hinge's contributions here and mention of
uk.rec.sheds and are ignoring him specifically?

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<36600ed9-4e8d-4cd4-82b7-2e185c0fc3adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16011&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16011

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 02:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:18 UTC

On Wednesday, 19 April 2023 at 21:36:03 UTC+1, ajh wrote:
> It took just over a year from quotes to commissioning on my Daughter's
> panels, battery and EV charger. Worth it though as she has not bought
> any electricity for home or car in the 2 months since, quite a few days
> with over 25kWh produced.

Placed an order in March 2022.

All the kit (except the ground mounts) delivered in April (when installation
was booked).

Battery installed in July.
Panels installed in October.

Currently saving around 200 quid a month (have an electric car).

Unless prices crash (which they won't) I expect it to pay for itself in around
6 years.

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<kaci5qFktpjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16012&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16012

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:23:54 +0100
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:23 UTC

On 19/04/2023 13:17, RustyHinge wrote:
> uk.rec.sheds   uk.rec.motorcycles
>
> Can anyone suggest...

....how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups, it
will also mark it as read in the other?
At the moment I am having to go through them all twice!
I can't see anything obvs in settings but shurely it is do-able?
Chz
Chris

*I wish Gravity worked in linux :-(

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1r5sv$ijs5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16013&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16013

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:58:36 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:58 UTC

On 20/04/2023 11:23, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
> On 19/04/2023 13:17, RustyHinge wrote:
>> uk.rec.sheds uk.rec.motorcycles
>>
>> Can anyone suggest...
>
> ...how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups, it
> will also mark it as read in the other?
> At the moment I am having to go through them all twice!
> I can't see anything obvs in settings but shurely it is do-able?
> Chz
> Chris
>
> *I wish Gravity worked in linux :-(

This has never worked in Thunderbird AFAIK.
Leafnode https://leafnode.sourceforge.io/ may be able to help.
What is Gravity?

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<kacm0nFktpjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16014&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16014

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:29:27 +0100
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:29 UTC

On 20/04/2023 11:58, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 11:23, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
>> On 19/04/2023 13:17, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> uk.rec.sheds   uk.rec.motorcycles
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest...
>>
>> ...how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups,
>> it will also mark it as read in the other?
>> At the moment I am having to go through them all twice!
>> I can't see anything obvs in settings but shurely it is do-able?
>> Chz
>> Chris
>>
>> *I wish Gravity worked in linux :-(
>
> This has never worked in Thunderbird AFAIK.
> Leafnode https://leafnode.sourceforge.io/ may be able to help.

Ta, I'll have a look.

> What is Gravity?

My newsreader of choice in my windoze past - and still the one I use in
my rare visits to that OS. Now 13 years since the last update but...
https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net
HTH

Chris

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<kacnr7Fm224U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16016&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16016

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:00:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:00 UTC

chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:

> ...how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups, it
> will also mark it as read in the other?
> At the moment I am having to go through them all twice!

No, thunderbird doesn't deal with cross-posts

For short threads I normally ignore the duplication, if it's clear that
a thread is going to drag-out for a bit, I chose which group it's most
relevant to, and hit 'k' to it in the others

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<1q9hmr9.bed4w2kttcudN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16018&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16018

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:36:32 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:36 UTC

chrisnd@privacy.net <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 20/04/2023 11:58, Chris Elvidge wrote:

> >> ...how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups, it
> >> will also mark it as read in the other? At the moment I am having to go
> >> through them all twice! I can't see anything obvs in settings but
> >> shurely it is do-able? Chz Chris
> >>
> >> *I wish Gravity worked in linux :-(
> >
> > This has never worked in Thunderbird AFAIK.
> > Leafnode https://leafnode.sourceforge.io/ may be able to help.
>
> Ta, I'll have a look.
>
> > What is Gravity?
> >
> My newsreader of choice in my windoze past - and still the one I use in
> my rare visits to that OS. Now 13 years since the last update but...
> https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net
> HTH
>
> Chris

Steve Gibson of GRC is maintaining Gravity now, see:-

<https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm>

"Gravity Setup (v3.0.11) Gravity Newsgroups Client."

"Gravity is THE BEST newsgroups (NNTP USENET) client for Windows.
STEVE DID NOT WRITE IT. But it stopped working and it had been
abandoned. So Steve obtained the open source, fixed it, added a
few features, rebuilt and signed the executable... and he'll be
maintaining it from now on."

Download link: <https://www.grc.com/files/GravitySetup.zip>

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<jfc24ilcc2nq4qfj0umggd7q1qo3m8533r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16019&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16019

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:37:56 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:37 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 07:17:32 -0000 (UTC), "GeoffC" <me@invalid.nl>
wrote:

>> Possibly because they have more orders than they can deal with,
>> especially with a world shortage of panels, inverters and batteries.
>> (Or more accurately, all those available to the world outside China).

>No shortage here in NL. 3 estimates last december, panels installed end
>of february.
>
><lights blue touch paper>
>
>I blame Brexit.
>
><retreats>

No need to retreat. I doubt you'll find anyone now (certainly on
here) that thinks brexit was a good idea
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<ukc24ipb9vj2copevb2p4i3gqbmjtvjg3h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16020&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16020

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:41:24 +0100
 by: Champ - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:41 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:28:39 +0100, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com>
wrote:

> I'm getting calls and emails every day
>asking me to do 'renewables'. Almost always, the rates are not enough,
>they are offering £18-20/hr when the going rate for agency staff is £24-26.

<swerve>
And yet the UK government thinks [1]of £16/hr is fine for junior [2]
doctors

[1] an equivalent rate - see BMW
[2] and a junior doctor is anyone below consultant level.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<20230420133629.f3d69a99740eb403d44ee7dc@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16021&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16021

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:36:29 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:36 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:58:36 +0100
Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:

> What is Gravity?

Round here about 71400000000 furlongs/fortnight^2.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1rdrp$juni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16022&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16022

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:14:32 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:14 UTC

On 20/04/2023 12:29, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 11:58, Chris Elvidge wrote:

>>> ...how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups,
>>> it will also mark it as read in the other?
>>> At the moment I am having to go through them all twice!
>>> I can't see anything obvs in settings but shurely it is do-able?
>>> Chz
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> *I wish Gravity worked in linux :-(

Just for laughs I updated my LMDE-5 virtual machine with Wine and the
installed Gravity from the URL you gave - Setup-MPGravity-2.9.15.exe.

It seems to work.

Haven't tried Sn!pe's URL though.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1rg8b$kbtv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16023&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16023

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:55:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:55 UTC

On 20/04/2023 14:37, Champ wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 07:17:32 -0000 (UTC), "GeoffC" <me@invalid.nl>
>wrote:
>
>>> Possibly because they have more orders than they can deal with,
>>> especially with a world shortage of panels, inverters and batteries.
>>> (Or more accurately, all those available to the world outside China).
>
>>No shortage here in NL. 3 estimates last december, panels installed end
>>of february.
>>
>><lights blue touch paper>
>>
>>I blame Brexit.
>>
>><retreats>
>
>No need to retreat. I doubt you'll find anyone now (certainly on
>here) that thinks brexit was a good idea

Yes, it does seem to have gone a bit quiet in that corner doesn't it.

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<689f28b4-5d34-431f-947f-0e2f1d869190n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16025&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16025

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 07:24:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:24 UTC

On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 13:37:59 UTC+1, Champ wrote:

> No need to retreat. I doubt you'll find anyone now (certainly on
> here) that thinks brexit was a good idea

Oh, I don't know. I think I'd be happy enough if I was Irish looking at
the reunification of Ireland speeding up and all that lovely inward
investment building new ferry terminals, all the tourism from EU
school children (and young adults) coming to learn English and
the likely investment on the way from the US.

Suspect Russia and its allies are happy enough although now that
Sunak's seeming a little less pointlessly aggressive towards the EU
than Johnson[1] maybe the warm buzz of an isolated UK is diminishing.

Oh... wait, did you mean people *in* the UK? Ah.

[1] Difference being Sunak wanted brexit and wants to make it work
whereas Johnson believes in nothing and just wanted to be PM.

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<u1s0ub$n08s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16029&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16029

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:40:10 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:40 UTC

On 20/04/2023 13:41, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:28:39 +0100, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting calls and emails every day
>> asking me to do 'renewables'. Almost always, the rates are not
>> enough they are offering £18-20/hr when the going rate for agency
>> staff is £24-26.
>
> <swerve>
> And yet the UK government thinks [1]of £16/hr is fine for junior [2]
> doctors

The rates I gave are self-employed, employed would be 20% or so less,
so, roughly, the going rate for a typical employed electrician would be
£17-20, which is between 35-40k /yr.
I would have guessed that a qualified Doctor would start at £40k. £16/hr
is taking the piss, considering the anti-social hours and shifts involved.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: OT for u.r.m - advertisement no replies

<j6g0M.962819$XEv3.143350@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16030&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16030

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.motorcycles
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:10:05 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:10 UTC

On 20-Apr-23 12:29, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 11:58, Chris Elvidge wrote:

>>> ...how, in Thunderbird*, having read an item in one of these groups,
>>> it will also mark it as read in the other?
>>> At the moment I am having to go through them all twice!
>>> I can't see anything obvs in settings but shurely it is do-able?
>>> Chz
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> *I wish Gravity worked in linux :-(
>>
>> This has never worked in Thunderbird AFAIK.
>> Leafnode https://leafnode.sourceforge.io/ may be able to help.
>
> Ta, I'll have a look.
>
>> What is Gravity?
>>
> My newsreader of choice in my windoze past - and still the one I use in
> my rare visits to that OS.  Now 13 years since the last update but...
> https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net
> HTH

It was my newsreader of choice for many years.
It stopped jbexing all of a sudden on my (Win7) machine, and nothing I
could do seemed to change matters.
I ended up using Thunderbug as a last resort.

--
Sam Plusnet