A girl's best friend is her mutter. -- Dorothy Parker

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)

SubjectAuthor
* Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+* Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)Russell Marks
|`- Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
`- Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)Jaimie Vandenbergh

1
Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)

<yE2dnXFA_NYuY1v5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1601&group=uk.games.video.misc#1601

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 00:22:11 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 00:22 UTC

Gods it's been a very high temperature outside lately.

Play:
--=--

Nothing - It was a weekend full of emergency air conditioning service,
gardening, and at least one flooring repair issue.

Want:
--=--

Less anxiety (RL) - I think that I've figured out, in my aging stupor,
that I'm clearly afraid to sit and enjoy a game for any length of time
because I labour under the certainty that I will be interrupted for
something more important and more urgent. So in a time where games need
fifteen minutes of narrative setup to make you care about the situation,
I can barely get five minutes to myself to enjoy it. This is not a
sustainable situation.

Virtua Cop Rebirth (PS2) - Now that I have a JPN-region PS2 that
actually works properly without constant fettling, I'm strongly
considering getting the CRT set up properly again so that I can get my
light gun on. But I'm also not sure if there's anything in this
reimagined title that's worth seeing. I suppose it'd be a different
experience if it were the proper arcade cabinet.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing gaming-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,016

-KKC, who is determined to fit in some Code Vein time this week.

Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)

<%IQxM.342987$Y1R7.197755@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1602&group=uk.games.video.misc#1602

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:48:11 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:48 UTC

> Gods it's been a very high temperature outside lately.

Curiously, July hasn't seemed too bad here. I wonder if this may have
been due to some luck with the jet stream position or something, but
dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a meteorologist.

> Play:

Oekaki Puzzle (PS1) - back on this, because obviously.

> Want:

Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (PS4) - let's face
it, this series knows a thing or two about name-erasing. I imagine a
certain someone will be required to say essentially "I'm getting too
old for this" at least once. Speaking of which...

> So in a time where games need fifteen minutes of narrative setup to
> make you care about the situation, I can barely get five minutes to
> myself to enjoy it. This is not a sustainable situation.

I recommend old games, puzzle games, and denial.

> Bin:

The feeling that I should play Yakuza: Like a Dragon before LaDG (as I
don't know if I'm especially keen on doing that). But I suppose I
might give it a chance somewhen.

-Rus.

Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)

<kiqafbF6447U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1603&group=uk.games.video.misc#1603

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 31 Jul 2023 17:48:27 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:48 UTC

On 31 Jul 2023 at 01:22:11 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Gods it's been a very high temperature outside lately.
>
> Play:
> --=--

Pikmin 4 (Switch) - it's Pikmin, but with loads of quality-of-life
improvements, automating some of the dumb busywork which frees you up to
use new play features, like your giant two legged dog who you can order
around and ride on, additional Pikmin types, more skill trees and
powerup items etc. They've brought back the little challenge dungeons
from Pikmin 2, and added a 'who can pikmin fastest' battle arena mode
against the CPU. There's a roamable base camp with increasing numbers of
rescued numpties you can chat to or get bonuses/kit/info from. It's
absolutely perfectly done. Looks lovely too. Very pleased with this; one
of only two games I've pre-ordered this year and as big a win as the
other, Tears of the Kingdom. Delightful.

> Want:
> --=--

Now P4 and TotK are out, I'm sorted for ages. Haven't finished TotK;
only 50ish hours in.

Otherwise, to play more Monkey Island in Sea of Thieves for PMG with
Angus.

> Bin:
> -==-

Many physiological maladies. Also my whiny cat who is currently letting
me know she exists with the sort of pitch that comes out of a screaming
newborn, or the worst sort of knife on dinner plate noise.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin

Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)

<IL2cnTGWeMDAE1f5nZ2dnZfqnPZj4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1605&group=uk.games.video.misc#1605

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 17:11:57 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 17:11 UTC

In article <%IQxM.342987$Y1R7.197755@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> Want:
>
>Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (PS4) - let's face
>it, this series knows a thing or two about name-erasing. I imagine a
>certain someone will be required to say essentially "I'm getting too
>old for this" at least once. Speaking of which...

I just learned that the PS4 and PS5 discs are only being printed and
sold in Japan, so I've gone and preordered one of each under the
spurious assumption that I'll get English-language options if I play
them on my American-region hardware. This may not turn out to be the
case, but I've spent the same money on dumber things. If I can't play
those then I'll probably end up playing the Steam version on sale later
on.

>> Bin:
>
>The feeling that I should play Yakuza: Like a Dragon before LaDG (as I
>don't know if I'm especially keen on doing that). But I suppose I
>might give it a chance somewhen.

So I had great fun with Ichiban Kasuga's game, but I'll be the first to
admit that they dragged out a lot of the plot unnecessarily. But in
addition to being a game genre change it does represent a major reset of
the story. I won't spoil it except to say that, as always, it mirrors
events from the real world in a way that's almost suspicious. You can
set it to easy mode and cruise through if you don't want to do all the
absurd grinding that comes with a full RPG experience.

-KKC, who doesn't have his heart in his work today.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Too Hot Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Jul 2023)