Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Russian Rocket Wreck Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 Aug 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 00:02:19 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 00:02 UTC

I think the most delicious part of the Russian failure to land
successfully on the moon is that nobody seems to care. Reuters
mirthfully pointed out that domestic news in Russia devoted only a
twenty-second segment to the information, choosing instead to spend many
precious minutes on police holiday-making plans and something about
hibernating animals. So either the rest of the world press is being
polite not kicking the land of the czars while they're down, or it's
just not noteworthy to observe that their spaceship had no steering and
no brakes.

Play:
--=--

Front Mission 1st Remake (NSW) - Ooh, I'd forgotten this was released a
couple of months ago. It's very nice, and there's an effective hook in
the story in that they've (somewhat ham-handedly) laid out the stakes in
a relatable way. The tutorial is thankfully brief, but it ends with an
NPC explaining that he has family members fighting for the other side in
the giant robot conflict, which effectively makes the events being
depicted the worst kind of civil war. It's clunky and doesn't seem to be
rewritten from its 1990s crap RPG roots, but all the same I'm interested
to see how brother-against-brother works out in this world

Skyrim (NSW) - A go on the OLED, just to see if there's a noticeable
difference in performance. For sure the battery doesn't last as long as
it does on the Lite, but that's to be expected. Mostly I was just
getting it out of my system because I somehow got it into my head that I
needed to experience the game in Japanese, and I had to spend all
weekend talking myself out of ordering the JPN-region Skyrim release on
some other platform.

Want:
--=--

My Nitro Deck (NSW) - Ships in a month! Probably. I hate, hate, hate the
Joycon controllers, and I only barely tolerate similarly designed
controller surfaces bodged carelessly to either side of the Switch Lite.
The Nitro is the first of the integrated put-your-screen-here control
devices that seems like it's going to be worth the money. Yes, I sprung
for a carrying case too, because nobody is going to accommodate the
combined form factor in anything on the general market.

Dead or Alive 3 (XBX) - The JPN-region one, to be clear. Apparently the
version we got in the west wasn't finished, which is why they had to
make that so-called 'booster pack' DLC that was distributed on the
magazine demo discs and in a bunch of other games. That's cheap so
that's ordered.

Virtua Cop Rebirth (PS2) - I was on the fence about getting this until I
read that the disc contains both the first game and the arcade remaster
of the second game. So that's ordered too. I need to get my $#!7
together and get a CRT set up again so I can Guncon my way through
these.

Not a new gaming laptop (PC) - Yes! I hemmed and hawed and held out and
now the Gen 8 AMD Lenovo Legions are out of stock! I have successfully
saved myself from spending $1,500 unnecessarily. I've never felt so
good about missing out on a sale price.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,201

Dead or Alive 3 (XBX) - $7 (JPN region)
Dynamite Deka (PS2) - $40
Virtua Cop Rebirth (PS2) - $30
JPN-region Wii (Wii) - $24
Front Mission 1st Remake (NSW) - $40
Pico Arcade (EVC) - $25

Total to date - $3,367

-KKC, who spent two hours trying to repair his kid's glasses.

Re: Russian Rocket Wreck Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 Aug 2023)

<kkgprhF1fdlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1618&group=uk.games.video.misc#1618

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 21 Aug 2023 09:42:09 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 09:42 UTC

On 21 Aug 2023 at 01:02:19 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> I think the most delicious part of the Russian failure to land
> successfully on the moon is that nobody seems to care.

I missed it entirely, although my interest in rocketry stuff has dropped
significantly of late.

> Play:
> --=--

Nothing but Pikmin 4 (Switch) and it's nothing but delightful. I've
found two more types of pikmin and discovered you can use Oachi the
rescue pup as a primary controlled character including tossing Pikmin,
which I somehow hadn't realised at all until the game made it obvious I
should try.
I seem to be playing the game in an order that the designers didn't
entirely expect to be done, as whenever I rescue someone who has a
collectibles mission set (eg the architecture fan who wants me to build
10, 20, etc structures) I seem to always have done their first two
levels of mission before meeting them. Which is fine, I get credited for
it, but I'm not quite sure if I could have found him without doing that
since those structures are required to open up areas for searching.
Never mind! It's fine.
Yesterday I was rather put out to have come within one second of fully
completing a dandori collection run - the last item was being slurped up
into the ship when the timer ran out, but didn't count. Grr!

> Want:
> --=--

I'm looking forward to getting back to TotK after I fully rinse Pikmin4.

> Bin:
> -==-

Nada.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
There's no limit to the amount of work someone can do,
provided it's not the work they're supposed to be doing.

Re: Russian Rocket Wreck Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 Aug 2023)

<P2LEM.772225$6Li6.7395@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1619&group=uk.games.video.misc#1619

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:05:19 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:05 UTC

> I think the most delicious part of the Russian failure to land
> successfully on the moon is that nobody seems to care.

Still, it does add to the pattern of a number of relatively recent
attempts to put unmanned landers on the moon failing. Or technically
succeeding, but at considerable velocity.

> Play:

Moon Lander (Linux) - given the surprisingly high difficulty, this was
probably a more news-appropriate choice than Lunar Lander. The fun
thing about this is mainly the ludicrous speed, it's so fast it feels
a lot like playing a single Wario Ware microgame on repeat. Like the
real moon though, it does seem very picky about you getting your
landings right.

Oekaki Puzzle (PS1) - a bit of this again.

> Want:

Maybe some additional means of playing Lunar Lander. Which I suppose
would be Tempest 2000^W^WAtari 50.

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Russian Rocket Wreck Play Want Bin (PWBE 21 Aug 2023)