The optimum committee has no members. -- Norman Augustine

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: In flower today

SubjectAuthor
* In flower todayJeff Layman
+- Re: In flower todayJenny M Benson
+* Re: In flower todayChris Hogg
|`- Re: In flower todayJanet
+- Re: In flower todayDavid
`* Re: In flower todayStewart Robert Hinsley
 +- Re: In flower todayMartin Brown
 `- Re: In flower todayJeff Layman

1
In flower today

<sqpk9e$2t1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1615&group=uk.rec.gardening#1615

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: In flower today
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:17:34 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:17 UTC

I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in s.
Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the mild
weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now gone.
The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower at
least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
corrected where known.

Correa pulchella
Correa 'Dusky Bells'
Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
Genista maderensis
Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha
Grevillea 'Poorinda Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form
Grevillea X sempervirens
Hebe (x2)
Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
Helleborus foetidus
Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
Mahonia aquifolium
Phlomis longifolia
a Lavandula

There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
Palace', and several gazanias.

--

Jeff

Re: In flower today

<j3b5fsFagmnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1616&group=uk.rec.gardening#1616

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: In flower today
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:06:52 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:06 UTC

On 01/01/2022 13:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in  s.
> Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the mild
> weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now gone.
> The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower at
> least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
> corrected where known.
>
> Correa pulchella
> Correa 'Dusky Bells'
> Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
> Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
> Genista maderensis
> Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha
> Grevillea 'Poorinda Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
> Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form
> Grevillea X sempervirens
> Hebe (x2)
> Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
> Helleborus foetidus
> Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
> Mahonia aquifolium
> Phlomis longifolia
> a Lavandula
>
> There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
> fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
> Palace', and several gazanias.

And I've got a single white viola brightening up my patio!

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: In flower today

<v4n0tgpegdj8ipq93v5nacslftqn5mbi96@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1617&group=uk.rec.gardening#1617

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 14:11:37 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:11 UTC

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 13:17:34 +0000, Jeff Layman
<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in s.
>Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the mild
>weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now gone.
>The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower at
>least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
>corrected where known.
>
>Correa pulchella
>Correa 'Dusky Bells'
>Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
>Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
>Genista maderensis
>Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha
>Grevillea 'Poorinda Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
>Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form
>Grevillea X sempervirens
>Hebe (x2)
>Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
>Helleborus foetidus
>Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
>Mahonia aquifolium
>Phlomis longifolia
>a Lavandula
>
>There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
>fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
>Palace', and several gazanias.

My list:
Correa Dusky Bells
Abutilon Nabob (in flower since late summer)
Camellia japonica High Hat (in flower since early October, will
continue through to March/April. It's pale pink double peony form, but
it has a red sport that I keep meaning to try and propagate!)
Camellia Yuletide (C. jap. x C. sasanqua)
Evergreen azalea, double red, name unknown
Primroses of various colours inc. P. vulgaris and p. Wanda
A dwarf campanula, label lost
Camellia Winton (C.cuspidata × C.saluenensis)
A shrubby hebe
Dierama pulcherrimum

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: In flower today

<MPG.3c3a850d711e25f6989de0@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1618&group=uk.rec.gardening#1618

From: nob...@hame.cock (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:35:11 -0000
 by: Janet - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:35 UTC

Rose "Tottering-by-gently". (David Austin; couldn't resist the
name). ) The flowers are yellow, single, repeat flowering; and it's been
in flower ever since I bought it last summer. Still has buds to open.

Helleborus foetidus

Yellow crocosmia ( might be "George Davison" but I've lost track of
my yellow ones)

Ceanothus

Some spring pansies.

Janet

Re: In flower today

<j3bd7fFcd38U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1620&group=uk.rec.gardening#1620

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 1 Jan 2022 16:18:55 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 16:18 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 13:17:34 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in s.
> Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the mild
> weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now gone.
> The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower at
> least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
> corrected where known.
>
> Correa pulchella Correa 'Dusky Bells'
> Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
> Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
> Genista maderensis Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha Grevillea 'Poorinda
> Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
> Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form Grevillea X sempervirens Hebe
> (x2)
> Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
> Helleborus foetidus Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
> Mahonia aquifolium Phlomis longifolia a Lavandula
>
> There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
> fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
> Palace', and several gazanias.

The zonal perlagonia on the sheltered deck are still in flower.

Apart from the lone tomato plant, and a few unidentified "weeds", that
appears to be it.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: In flower today

<sqqado$ssb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1622&group=uk.rec.gardening#1622

From: {$new...@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:35:19 +0000
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:35 UTC

On 01/01/2022 13:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in  s.
> Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the mild
> weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now gone.
> The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower at
> least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
> corrected where known.
>
> Correa pulchella
> Correa 'Dusky Bells'
> Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
> Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
> Genista maderensis
> Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha
> Grevillea 'Poorinda Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
> Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form
> Grevillea X sempervirens
> Hebe (x2)
> Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
> Helleborus foetidus
> Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
> Mahonia aquifolium
> Phlomis longifolia
> a Lavandula
>
> There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
> fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
> Palace', and several gazanias.

While out and about today I recorded about 30 species of wild plant in
flower. Among cultivated plants I noticed Hebe, Rosa, Chaenomeles,
Mahonia x media, Mahonia aquifolium, pansy, primrose, Campanula
persicifolia, Calendula officinalis, Leucanthemum x superbum, Viburnum
tinus, ...

Press reports are that December has an usually low among of sun, which
might explain why there's so little in flower in spite of the prolonged
mild weather.

--
SRH

Re: In flower today

<sqs9hs$1qts$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1624&group=uk.rec.gardening#1624

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:32:44 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:32 UTC

On 01/01/2022 19:35, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
> On 01/01/2022 13:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in  s.
>> Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the
>> mild weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now
>> gone. The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower
>> at least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
>> corrected where known.
>>
>> Correa pulchella
>> Correa 'Dusky Bells'
>> Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
>> Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
>> Genista maderensis
>> Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha
>> Grevillea 'Poorinda Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
>> Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form
>> Grevillea X sempervirens
>> Hebe (x2)
>> Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
>> Helleborus foetidus
>> Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
>> Mahonia aquifolium
>> Phlomis longifolia
>> a Lavandula
>>
>> There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
>> fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
>> Palace', and several gazanias.
>>

> While out and about today I recorded about 30 species of wild plant in
> flower. Among cultivated plants I noticed Hebe, Rosa, Chaenomeles,
> Mahonia x media, Mahonia aquifolium, pansy, primrose, Campanula
> persicifolia, Calendula officinalis, Leucanthemum x superbum, Viburnum
> tinus, ...
>
> Press reports are that December has an usually low among of sun, which
> might explain why there's so little in flower in spite of the prolonged
> mild weather.

The oddballs I have in flower in North Yorks not already mentioned include:

Rosemary
Euphorbias
Perennial wallflower (yellow)
Centranthus ruber (pink - one in a sheltered spot)
Marguerites (white - against a wall)
Antirrhinum (yellow - single plant still in flower)
White dead nettle
Nasturtiums in hanging baskets are still flowering OK
(but no flowers open yesterday)

Not mild enough to have rhubarb crumble for Xmas pud but give it a
couple more weeks and I expect to have some on the unforced clump!
(depends how mild it stays and for how long - growing fast right now)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: In flower today

<sqshgk$u2d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1625&group=uk.rec.gardening#1625

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:48:35 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 15:48 UTC

On 01/01/2022 19:35, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
> On 01/01/2022 13:17, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I've just been round the garden seeing what's in flower here in  s.
>> Hampshire. I'd have thought there would have been more with all the mild
>> weather, but there were more only a few days ago which have now gone.
>> The only criterion for being in flower is that there is a flower at
>> least half open on the plant. Names are as on the label, but are
>> corrected where known.
>>
>> Correa pulchella
>> Correa 'Dusky Bells'
>> Correa 'Poorinda Mary'
>> Gaillardia X grandiflora 'Burgunder'
>> Genista maderensis
>> Grevillea lanigera 'Mt Tamboritha
>> Grevillea 'Poorinda Constance' (labelled 'williamsonii')
>> Grevillea rosmarinifolia pale yellow form
>> Grevillea X sempervirens
>> Hebe (x2)
>> Helleborus 'Cheryl's Shine'
>> Helleborus foetidus
>> Helleborus 'Snow Fever'
>> Mahonia aquifolium
>> Phlomis longifolia
>> a Lavandula
>>
>> There is also some summer bedding still in flower - Bidens 'Blazing
>> fires', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', a dwarf dianthus, Lobelia 'Crystal
>> Palace', and several gazanias.
>>

> While out and about today I recorded about 30 species of wild plant in
> flower. Among cultivated plants I noticed Hebe, Rosa, Chaenomeles,
> Mahonia x media, Mahonia aquifolium, pansy, primrose, Campanula
> persicifolia, Calendula officinalis, Leucanthemum x superbum, Viburnum
> tinus, ...

You reminded me to check. I missed seeing the flowers on our V. tinus as
there are usually more of them. This year they are few and far between.
In previous years we've also had a camellia or two with a flower, but
the buds are nowhere near that far developed this year.

> Press reports are that December has an usually low among of sun, which
> might explain why there's so little in flower in spite of the prolonged
> mild weather.

That probably has a lot to do with it. Also, up until a week before
Christmas we had several roses in flower, but the prolonged rain since
then has led to balling of the unopened flowers (or "bud flood" as I
prefer to term it!).

I forgot to mention that I also have Bacopa (Sutera?) in flower, which
remains - at least so far - unaffected by the several frosts we have
had. It is not in a sheltered position, either.

--

Jeff