From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Pot or not?
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:43:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim S - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:43 UTC

I have a new 3/4 ft Nordmann xmas tree, bought in a pot which has holes in
the sides (don't know about the bottom as I never looked)
However do I plant out in the garden without removing the pot or do I
remove it?
Alternatively would it be best to pot it in a bigger pot on the patio? The
question still remains as to whether I leave it in the existing pot with
its tiny holes even then?
--
Jim S

Re: Pot or not?

<c464tgdiqq7vsfkljg6r7d80m1bb0a9ujd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1628&group=uk.rec.gardening#1628

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Pot or not?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 21:55:49 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 21:55 UTC

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:43:17 -0000 (UTC), Jim S <jim@jimXscott.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have a new 3/4 ft Nordmann xmas tree, bought in a pot which has holes in
>the sides (don't know about the bottom as I never looked)
>However do I plant out in the garden without removing the pot or do I
>remove it?
>Alternatively would it be best to pot it in a bigger pot on the patio? The
>question still remains as to whether I leave it in the existing pot with
>its tiny holes even then?

Whether you are going to plant it out in the garden or pot it into a
bigger pot, most definitely remove the existing pot.

When you've knocked it out of its existing pot, if the root ball looks
like this https://i.stack.imgur.com/IJekV.jpg you will need to loosen
the roots or cut them vertically with a sharp knife to allow them to
continue to grow outwards into the fresh soil. An old kitchen knife
does very well. https://tinyurl.com/y6g588ut

Whether you plant it out or put it in a bigger pot is your choice. But
be aware that if in a pot it will need regular attention (feeding and
watering) and repotting again in a couple of years, and will be
inclined to blow over in gales. If planted in the garden, the Nordmann
fir (proper name Abies Nordmanniana) can reach 60 metres in height
with a 2 metre thick trunk. But it will take very many years to reach
those dimensions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abies_nordmanniana

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.