We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge. -- John Naisbitt, Megatrends

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

SubjectAuthor
* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1
+* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.Spike
|`* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1
| `- Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.Spike
`* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.Alan Lee
 +* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1
 |+- Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.chrisnd @ukrm
 |`* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.Mark Olson
 | +* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.wessie
 | |+- Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1
 | |`* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.Pipl
 | | `- Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1
 | `* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1
 |  `- Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.chrisnd @ukrm
 `* Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.Stephen Packer
  `- Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.YTC#1

1
Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3b12f$3tbbh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16249&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16249

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 15:30:38 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 8 May 2023 14:30 UTC

What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
stolen, but never found?

Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never think
about it again.

I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.

So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.

Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?

[1] As InsCos will have taken ownership, surely they need to leep a record.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<kbsu2jF8cmtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16253&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16253

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.
Date: 8 May 2023 18:41:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 8 May 2023 18:41 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
> What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
> stolen, but never found?
>
> Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never think
> about it again.
>
> I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.
>
> So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.
>
> Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
> never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?
>
> [1] As InsCos will have taken ownership, surely they need to leep a record.

Did you report the loss to the police?

A stolen Ariel Red Hunter turned up after 30 years because the engine and
frame numbers had been given at the time of the theft.

--
Spike

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3d7f7$81p2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16261&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16261

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 11:32:07 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 9 May 2023 10:32 UTC

On 08/05/2023 19:41, Spike wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>> What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
>> stolen, but never found?
>>
>> Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never think
>> about it again.
>>
>> I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.
>>
>> So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.
>>
>> Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
>> never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?
>>
>> [1] As InsCos will have taken ownership, surely they need to leep a record.
>
> Did you report the loss to the police?

Yes, how else would I know if it was ever recovered?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<kbup3fFh23tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16262&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16262

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 9 May 2023 11:28:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 9 May 2023 11:28 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/05/2023 19:41, Spike wrote:
>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>>> What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
>>> stolen, but never found?
>>>
>>> Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never think
>>> about it again.
>>>
>>> I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.
>>>
>>> So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.
>>>
>>> Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
>>> never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?
>>>
>>> [1] As InsCos will have taken ownership, surely they need to leep a record.
>>
>> Did you report the loss to the police?
>
> Yes, how else would I know if it was ever recovered?

In that case, you answered your own question.

--
Spike

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3dbr2$8g0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16263&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16263

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 12:46:42 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Tue, 9 May 2023 11:46 UTC

On 08/05/2023 15:30, YTC#1 wrote:
> What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
> stolen, but never found?
>
> Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never think
> about it again.
>
> I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.
>
> So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.
>
> Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
> never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?

There will be a DVLA record of it being stolen, so, in theory, if
someone were to try to re-register your bike, or, use the engine or
frame numbers, the DVLA should flag this up. That's what found the one
that had been stolen 27 years ago that was posted here a few weeks ago.

I suspect many bikes, depending on age etc are subject to any of the
following - just left in garages/sheds, used by the low life who go
round without helmets wearing balaclavas (yours?), shipped off to
mainland Europe to be broken for spares [1], shipped off to Africa to be
used there, and there will still be some dodgy breakers who take in
stolen bikes and sell the bits on.

[1] I needed a headlight for my skoda 10 years ago or so. One for sale
in Lithuania on ebay, bought it, and it came with a UK numberplate
etched into the lens. HTF did it get to Lithuania to be broken up?
I suppose there could be legit ways, but rumours abound of vehicles
being shipped to Eastern/Northern Europe to be sold as spares.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3dfsm$904j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16266&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16266

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 13:55:50 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 9 May 2023 12:55 UTC

On 09/05/2023 12:46, Alan Lee wrote:
> On 08/05/2023 15:30, YTC#1 wrote:
>> What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
>> stolen, but never found?
>>
>> Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never
>> think about it again.
>>
>> I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.
>>
>> So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.
>>
>> Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
>> never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?
>
> There will be a DVLA record of it being stolen, so, in theory, if
> someone were to try to re-register your bike, or, use the engine or
> frame numbers, the DVLA should flag this up. That's what found the one
> that had been stolen 27 years ago that was posted here a few weeks ago.

I suspected that much, and it is reliant on the police checking the VIN
(they may just get lazy and say unreadable) and just having any remains
crushed.

I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
whatever to get it off my ownership.

> I suspect many bikes, depending on age etc are subject to any of the
> following -  just left in garages/sheds, used by the low life who go
> round without helmets wearing balaclavas (yours?), shipped off to

That was my bet, but by now it will have let them down badly (I know it
well) and would have thought it would be dumped/burnet out.

> mainland Europe to be broken for spares [1], shipped off to Africa to be

That was during 2021, checks on ports post Brexit and stuff still not
shipping easliy. Not sure they would have bothered for an old Peg.

> used there, and there will still be some dodgy breakers who take in
> stolen bikes and sell the bits on.

And I would have spotted parts by now I reckon, as they all appear on
Ebay and FB surely?

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<kbv36qFigqrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16270&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16270

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 15:21:14 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Tue, 9 May 2023 14:21 UTC

On 09/05/2023 13:55, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 09/05/2023 12:46, Alan Lee wrote:
>> On 08/05/2023 15:30, YTC#1 wrote:
>>> What happens with vehicle info when (like my bike in 2021) they are
>>> stolen, but never found?
>>>
>>> Normally people make an insurance claim, get their dosh and never
>>> think about it again.
>>>
>>> I never claimed, just wasn't worth it.
>>>
>>> So, I still own the bike and have the docs etc.
>>>
>>> Is there a massive database[1] of every vehicle that was stolen and
>>> never recoveed? Or at some point does it get listed as scrap?
>>
>> There will be a DVLA record of it being stolen, so, in theory, if
>> someone were to try to re-register your bike, or, use the engine or
>> frame numbers, the DVLA should flag this up. That's what found the one
>> that had been stolen 27 years ago that was posted here a few weeks ago.
>
> I suspected that much, and it is reliant on the police checking the VIN
> (they may just get lazy and say unreadable) and just having any remains
> crushed.
>
> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
> whatever to get it off my ownership.

Ah ISWYM - sort of a 'missing presumed dead' approach (eg) like to get a
divorce?

Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3dmuo$9rnq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16273&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16273

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 14:56:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Tue, 9 May 2023 14:56 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:

> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
> whatever to get it off my ownership.

LMGTFY

https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<XnsAFFFB1E4D94E3wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16276&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16276

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 16:29:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Tue, 9 May 2023 16:29 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in news:u3dmuo$9rnq$1@dont-email.me:

> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
>> whatever to get it off my ownership.
>
> LMGTFY
>
> https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen

it stops before saying what to do in YTC's situation i.e. no insurance
payout but unfound[1]

if the bike was a person "missing in action" you could have them declared
deceased after 7 years

[1] of course, YTC should have let his insurer know even if not making a
claim so his underwriter could properly assess his risk profile based on
parking bikes in Liverpool. Bloody fraudster.

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<442d19c4-450a-49f2-a956-bcfaaf7d97c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16277&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16277

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 10:03:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 9 May 2023 17:03 UTC

On Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 12:46:45 UTC+1, Alan Lee wrote:

> [1] I needed a headlight for my skoda 10 years ago or so. One for sale
> in Lithuania on ebay, bought it, and it came with a UK numberplate
> etched into the lens. HTF did it get to Lithuania to be broken up?
> I suppose there could be legit ways, but rumours abound of vehicles
> being shipped to Eastern/Northern Europe to be sold as spares.

I sold an old 7 Series BMW about 10-15 years ago.

It was bought by a Lithuanian, low loader turned up to collect it. They said
it was going to Lithuania to be broken and sold for spares. Seems mad.

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3dvkj$au1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16279&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16279

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 18:24:35 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 9 May 2023 17:24 UTC

On 09/05/2023 15:56, Mark Olson wrote:
> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
>> whatever to get it off my ownership.
>
> LMGTFY
>
> https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen-but-was-not-insured

Fixed it for you
As I pointed out, no insurance claim was made. The article you linked to
involves insurance claims.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3dvqa$au1g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16280&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16280

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 18:27:38 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 9 May 2023 17:27 UTC

On 09/05/2023 17:29, wessie wrote:
> Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in news:u3dmuo$9rnq$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
>>> whatever to get it off my ownership.
>>
>> LMGTFY
>>
>> https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen
>>

> it stops before saying what to do in YTC's situation i.e. no insurance
> payout but unfound[1]
>
> if the bike was a person "missing in action" you could have them declared
> deceased after 7 years
>

> [1] of course, YTC should have let his insurer know even if not making a
> claim so his underwriter could properly assess his risk profile based on
> parking bikes in Liverpool. Bloody fraudster.

There is an argument for that, but the quetion they ask you is not
actually if you have been the victim of a theft.

(Can't remember the wording right now).

But also consider if a vehicle is stolen from a property when it is not
insured (ie just SORNd).

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3dvrr$au1g$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16281&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16281

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 18:28:27 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 9 May 2023 17:28 UTC

On 09/05/2023 18:03, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 9 May 2023 at 12:46:45 UTC+1, Alan Lee wrote:
>
>> [1] I needed a headlight for my skoda 10 years ago or so. One for sale
>> in Lithuania on ebay, bought it, and it came with a UK numberplate
>> etched into the lens. HTF did it get to Lithuania to be broken up?
>> I suppose there could be legit ways, but rumours abound of vehicles
>> being shipped to Eastern/Northern Europe to be sold as spares.
>
> I sold an old 7 Series BMW about 10-15 years ago.
>
> It was bought by a Lithuanian, low loader turned up to collect it. They said
> it was going to Lithuania to be broken and sold for spares. Seems mad.

Mate sold a Pegaso 2 years ago, also to a Lituanian.
So there is a market there.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<9k7l5idfj557d2t7amj4bhdheol8jfd168@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16285&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16285

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 20:28:22 +0100
 by: Pipl - Tue, 9 May 2023 19:28 UTC

On Tue, 9 May 2023 16:29:15 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in news:u3dmuo$9rnq$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
>>> whatever to get it off my ownership.
>>
>> LMGTFY
>>
>> https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen
>>

>it stops before saying what to do in YTC's situation i.e. no insurance
>payout but unfound[1]
>
>if the bike was a person "missing in action" you could have them declared
>deceased after 7 years
>

>[1] of course, YTC should have let his insurer know even if not making a
>claim so his underwriter could properly assess his risk profile based on
>parking bikes in Liverpool. Bloody fraudster.

Heh. Unfortunately, too true.

"Have you had any losses or accidents in the last five years,
regardless of whether a claim was made?"

I have two years to go on the Guzzi SMIDSY.

--

-Pip

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<u3fl8s$km97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16291&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16291

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 09:39:55 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 10 May 2023 08:39 UTC

On 09/05/2023 20:28, Pipl wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2023 16:29:15 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>> Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in news:u3dmuo$9rnq$1@dont-email.me:

>>> LMGTFY
>>>
>>> https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen
>>>

>> it stops before saying what to do in YTC's situation i.e. no insurance
>> payout but unfound[1]
>>
>> if the bike was a person "missing in action" you could have them declared
>> deceased after 7 years
>>

>> [1] of course, YTC should have let his insurer know even if not making a
>> claim so his underwriter could properly assess his risk profile based on
>> parking bikes in Liverpool. Bloody fraudster.
>
> Heh. Unfortunately, too true.
>
> "Have you had any losses or accidents in the last five years,
> regardless of whether a claim was made?"

The word lose, is a bit looser than theft.

I lost my house keys once.
I happen to have lost my motorbike, I just don't know where it is.

Yeah, I know, I could live to regret it.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Stolen vhicles that are not recovered.

<kc1mmdF2b6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16307&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16307

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 15:06:05 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Wed, 10 May 2023 14:06 UTC

On 09/05/2023 18:24, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 09/05/2023 15:56, Mark Olson wrote:
>> YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just wondering if there was some way of declaring it scrapped or
>>> whatever to get it off my ownership.
>>
>> LMGTFY
>>
>> https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen-but-was-not-insured
>>
> Fixed it for you
> As I pointed out, no insurance claim was made. The article you linked to
> involves insurance claims.

"Page not found" :-)
Oh, I see... I think.
:-)