Proof by vigorous handwaving: Works well in a classroom or seminar setting.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)

SubjectAuthor
* Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+- Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)Russell Marks
`* Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)Geeknix
 `* Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)Russell Marks
  `- Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)Geeknix

1
Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)

<V9ecnUq-Lsq3S774nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1644&group=uk.games.video.misc#1644

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 10:30:02 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 10:30 UTC

Today is one of those weird American bank holidays in that there's no
mail delivery or bank operation but most workplaces are still running.
That's partly because everybody's embarrassed to be celebrating the
inciting event that caused the destruction of indigenous peoples in the
States, but nobody has adopted the replacement day that celebrates those
same people who would much rather have reparations and financial support
than a stupid red mark on everyone's calendars.

Play:
--=--

Tokyo Xanadu (Vita) - Just for a little bit. I'm used to the weird
American terms for school years and roles now, so now that I'm past that
I can see how well-designed this thing was on its original platform.

Road Trip (RL) - Six hours up the coast to a mate's 50th birthday party.
Quick detour to see another old friend that I haven't been in the room
with for ten years. Six hours back home. I believe the correct British
term for my current state of being is 'knackered'. I am clearly
knackered and you'd think that with just a little bit better public
transit I'd have been able to fit in some gaming during that time.

Want:
--=--

Proper software backward compatibility - Backward compatibility on the
360 and the Bone/Sexbox is per-title rather than a full recreation of
the prior platforms. What that means is that incidental or one-off
software (like demo discs or magazine pack-ins) plainly don't work
because nobody accounted for those titles. That wouldn't be a problem in
a more pure compatibility scenario. But I should acknowledge that I may
be the only person in the world who might care about that.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,887

-KKC, who has a small stack of OG Xbox games to test out.

Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)

<EsXUM.208023$VAg.27327@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1645&group=uk.games.video.misc#1645

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 18:17:08 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 18:17 UTC

> Play:

Minecraft (PS4) - after clearing another shipwreck or two, I revisited
the first mineshaft I found on this version (very close to my main
base) and was surprised to discover that it led to a large cavern I
hadn't previously explored - and looking around that I found a second
mineshaft area much further down. Weird.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Somehow losing a couple of sponges somewhere in Minecraft, having used
a bunch of them to drain water from inside the shipwrecks.

-Rus.

Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)

<slrnuifruv.12e.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1646&group=uk.games.video.misc#1646

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:30:03 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:30 UTC

On 2023-10-09, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Today is one of those weird American bank holidays in that there's no
> mail delivery or bank operation but most workplaces are still running.
> That's partly because everybody's embarrassed to be celebrating the
> inciting event that caused the destruction of indigenous peoples in the
> States, but nobody has adopted the replacement day that celebrates those
> same people who would much rather have reparations and financial support
> than a stupid red mark on everyone's calendars.

Interesting, I had to ChatGPT this. So Columbus Day is being phased out
for Indigenous Peoples Day. Does have a weird sound to it, I can see how
they'd prefer reparations.

Not great at writing game reviews but here's what I/We (family) been
playing:

Play
----

Grim Fandango (PC) - A throw back to 1990s point and click adventure
with quirky humour and very very obtuse puzzles to solve. We had to,
more than once, refer to walk-throughs after getting very stuck. We're
about 33% of the way through this one. Might start playing the Indiana
Jones adventures after this one and mix it up with movie watching with
the kids.

F-Zero 99 (Switch) - Not an in-depth racing game with basic controls but
a lot of fun to skill up then start playing with 99 other drivers. Good
few minutes of fun.

GTA V, MoH WW2, FarCry 6 - Son never tires of these games and plays them
endlessly on loop.

The Silent Age (PC) - An excellent indie point and click that can
comfortably be completed in a lazy weekend. You basically have a time
machine and need to jump through time to solve puzzles. Very
entertaining and recommended.

Want
----

Detective Pikachu Returns (Switch) - Currently have lots of other games
to play through on the Switch. This is defo on the list of games to play
though.

Expenditure
-----------

Have never kept count, maybe I should start, at this point I'm scared to
know.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)

<b9UVM.213903$qkdf.3940@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1647&group=uk.games.video.misc#1647

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:20:39 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:20 UTC

Geeknix <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:

> Grim Fandango (PC) - A throw back to 1990s point and click adventure
> with quirky humour and very very obtuse puzzles to solve. We had to,
> more than once, refer to walk-throughs after getting very stuck.

I had the same experience back when I played the remaster. I liked the
Q&A hint sections this guide has, if you haven't seen it yet:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/50544-grim-fandango/faqs/2407

-Rus.

Re: Yank Bank Holiday PWB (PWBE 9 Oct 2023)

<slrnuih3sa.12e.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=uk.games.video.misc#1648

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 00:30:03 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 00:30 UTC

On 2023-10-12, Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
> Geeknix <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>
>> Grim Fandango (PC) - A throw back to 1990s point and click adventure
>> with quirky humour and very very obtuse puzzles to solve. We had to,
>> more than once, refer to walk-throughs after getting very stuck.
>
> I had the same experience back when I played the remaster. I liked the
> Q&A hint sections this guide has, if you haven't seen it yet:
>
> https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/50544-grim-fandango/faqs/2407

Hadn't seen it, bookmarked.