From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Identifying ericaceous compost
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:27:12 +0000
 by: john west - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:27 UTC

Doing a tidy up i moved some normal compost and some ericaceous compost
into small strong similar bags.
Now they are muddled.
Since their visual appearance is very similar.
Is there any simple way to tell which is the ericaceous from the other?
Thanks.

Re: Identifying ericaceous compost

<st0qbp$log$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1647&group=uk.rec.gardening#1647

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Identifying ericaceous compost
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:16:41 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 13:16 UTC

On 28/01/2022 12:27, john west wrote:
> Doing a tidy up i moved some normal compost and some ericaceous compost
> into small strong similar bags.
> Now they are muddled.
> Since their visual appearance is very similar.
> Is there any simple way to tell which is the ericaceous from the other?
> Thanks.
Sample in water and litmus or similar to check Ph?

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Re: Identifying ericaceous compost

<st0tsg$g9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=uk.rec.gardening#1648

From: bob-hob...@yahoo.com (Bob Hobden)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 14:16:47 +0000
 by: Bob Hobden - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 14:16 UTC

On 28 Jan 2022 12:27, john west wrote:
> Doing a tidy up i moved some normal compost and some ericaceous compost
> into small strong similar bags.
> Now they are muddled.
> Since their visual appearance is very similar.
> Is there any simple way to tell which is the ericaceous from the other?
> Thanks.

I would have thought the method I used to use to test gravel for my
fish tanks would work. Saucer of each, pour on vinegar, the one that
froths is not ericaceous.
--
Regards.
Bob Hobden

Re: Identifying ericaceous compost

<st116s$9e2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1649&group=uk.rec.gardening#1649

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:13:31 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:13 UTC

On 28/01/2022 12:27, john west wrote:
> Doing a tidy up i moved some normal compost and some ericaceous compost
> into small strong similar bags.
> Now they are muddled.
> Since their visual appearance is very similar.
> Is there any simple way to tell which is the ericaceous from the other?
> Thanks.

In my experience, it doesn't matter what compost you use except for a
very few extreme calcifuges. Even then, I'm not entirely convinced it's
the calcium/alkalinity they don't like so much as something else. About
the only plants I grow for which I use ericaceous compost (diluted
further with peat. Isn't that shameful!) are seeds and seedlings of
/Proteaceae/, as they won't tolerate even moderate levels of phosphate.
Even then, once out of the seedling stage they tolerate soil which is
only slightly acidic, providing the phosphate level isn't too high. Thee
are, however, some proteaceous plants which don't seem to mind where the
grow. In my garden these are Embothrium, and around six grevilleas.

FWIW, I've yet to find any rhododendron which won't grow in soil which
everything else grows in - even that which is not free-draining and has
a lot of clay.

What do others posting here find?

--

Jeff

Re: Identifying ericaceous compost

<st119j$8u5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1650&group=uk.rec.gardening#1650

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:14:59 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:14 UTC

On 28/01/2022 15:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 28/01/2022 12:27, john west wrote:
>> Doing a tidy up i moved some normal compost and some ericaceous compost
>> into small strong similar bags.
>> Now they are muddled.
>> Since their visual appearance is very similar.
>> Is there any simple way to tell which is the ericaceous from the other?
>> Thanks.
>
> In my experience, it doesn't matter what compost you use except for a
> very few extreme calcifuges. Even then, I'm not entirely convinced it's
> the calcium/alkalinity they don't like so much as something else. About
> the only plants I grow for which I use ericaceous compost (diluted
> further with peat. Isn't that shameful!) are seeds and seedlings of
> /Proteaceae/, as they won't tolerate even moderate levels of phosphate.
> Even then, once out of the seedling stage they tolerate soil which is
> only slightly acidic, providing the phosphate level isn't too high. Thee
> are, however, some proteaceous plants which don't seem to mind where the
> grow. In my garden these are Embothrium, and around six grevilleas.
>
> FWIW, I've yet to find any rhododendron which won't grow in soil which
> everything else grows in - even that which is not free-draining and has
> a lot of clay.
>
> What do others posting here find?

heavy clay on chalk here - forget ericas rhodos azaleas. They just dont grow

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

Re: Identifying ericaceous compost

<st1309$mq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1651&group=uk.rec.gardening#1651

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:44:08 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 15:44 UTC

> On 28/01/2022 15:13, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 28/01/2022 12:27, john west wrote:
>>> Doing a tidy up i moved some normal compost and some ericaceous compost
>>> into small strong similar bags.
>>> Now they are muddled.
>>> Since their visual appearance is very similar.
>>> Is there any simple way to tell which is the ericaceous from the other?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> In my experience, it doesn't matter what compost you use except for a
>> very few extreme calcifuges. Even then, I'm not entirely convinced it's
>> the calcium/alkalinity they don't like so much as something else. About
>> the only plants I grow for which I use ericaceous compost (diluted
>> further with peat. Isn't that shameful!) are seeds and seedlings of
>> /Proteaceae/, as they won't tolerate even moderate levels of phosphate.
>> Even then, once out of the seedling stage they tolerate soil which is
>> only slightly acidic, providing the phosphate level isn't too high. Thee
>> are, however, some proteaceous plants which don't seem to mind where the
>> grow. In my garden these are Embothrium, and around six grevilleas.
>>
>> FWIW, I've yet to find any rhododendron which won't grow in soil which
>> everything else grows in - even that which is not free-draining and has
>> a lot of clay.
>>
>> What do others posting here find?
>>
> heavy clay on chalk here - forget ericas rhodos azaleas. They just dont grow

That's fair enough, as trying to grow most rhodos *on* chalk is a waste
of time, as that is just too much chalk for them to deal with. I'm not
on chalk, just soil with the consistency of "potters" clay, but I have
no difficulty with rhodos and camellias.

--

Jeff