The devil finds work for idle circuits to do.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

SubjectAuthor
* Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerRJH
+* Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerTheo
|`* Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerRJH
| +- Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerTheo
| `* Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerJ. J. Lodder
|  +- Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerJoerg Lorenz
|  `- Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerJoerg Lorenz
+- Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Servernospam
+* Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerJ. J. Lodder
|`- Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerRJH
`- Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media ServerRJH

1
Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<u7q32n$3167o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16525&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16525

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:41:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 20:41 UTC

I've a mid 2011 i5 Mac Mini I'd like to use as a media server. Couple of
questions . . .

Ages ago I added a second hard drive (1.5TB) using a third party kit. I'd like
to change the disk to an SSD. Does anyone know the maximum drive size the Mini
could handle - on either the third party add on or the main HD interface?

I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?

I'm using the Mini over the home network and it's serving content to my LG
TV/Plex fine over wifi. Is this the best way to use it? Or connect directly to
the TV via HDMI? I'm not bothered about mad 8k and the like - decent HD does
me.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<Mhn*Eyckz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16527&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16527

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server
Date: 01 Jul 2023 22:19:54 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 21:19 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> I've a mid 2011 i5 Mac Mini I'd like to use as a media server. Couple of
> questions . . .
>
> Ages ago I added a second hard drive (1.5TB) using a third party kit. I'd
> like to change the disk to an SSD. Does anyone know the maximum drive
> size the Mini could handle - on either the third party add on or the main
> HD interface?

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't expect any limits that would apply
within the range of drives that will physically fit.

The third party kit is just a cable, so there's nothing different about that
drive.

> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
> Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?

Install Windows or Linux and use those versions of Plex?

Or install Monterey via OCLP?

> I'm using the Mini over the home network and it's serving content to my LG
> TV/Plex fine over wifi. Is this the best way to use it? Or connect directly to
> the TV via HDMI? I'm not bothered about mad 8k and the like - decent HD does
> me.

Pass, I'd guess it depends on what Plex can and can't do.

Theo

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<010720232143488670%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16528&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16528

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 21:43:48 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 01:43 UTC

In article <u7q32n$3167o$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

> Ages ago I added a second hard drive (1.5TB) using a third party kit. I'd like
> to change the disk to an SSD. Does anyone know the maximum drive size the Mini
> could handle - on either the third party add on or the main HD interface?

bigger than currently exists.

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<1qd8n55.12zk6x2xzxpckN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16529&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16529

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 11:31:19 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:31 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> I've a mid 2011 i5 Mac Mini I'd like to use as a media server. Couple of
> questions . . .
>
> Ages ago I added a second hard drive (1.5TB) using a third party kit. I'd like
> to change the disk to an SSD. Does anyone know the maximum drive size the Mini
> could handle - on either the third party add on or the main HD interface?

Certainly much larger than exists, or that you could afford.

> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
> Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?
>
> I'm using the Mini over the home network and it's serving content to my LG
> TV/Plex fine over wifi. Is this the best way to use it? Or connect directly to
> the TV via HDMI? I'm not bothered about mad 8k and the like - decent HD does
> me.

Why bother with special players at all?
Just connect the thing directly to your TV, using HDMI,
control it in Screen Sharing, and just play whatever you want.
(using VLC for example)

Jan

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<u7righ$39m3u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16532&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16532

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:11:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:11 UTC

On 2 Jul 2023 at 10:31:19 BST, J. J. Lodder wrote:

> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> I've a mid 2011 i5 Mac Mini I'd like to use as a media server. Couple of
>> questions . . .
>>
>> Ages ago I added a second hard drive (1.5TB) using a third party kit. I'd like
>> to change the disk to an SSD. Does anyone know the maximum drive size the Mini
>> could handle - on either the third party add on or the main HD interface?
>
> Certainly much larger than exists, or that you could afford.

Good to know.

>> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
>> Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?
>>
>> I'm using the Mini over the home network and it's serving content to my LG
>> TV/Plex fine over wifi. Is this the best way to use it? Or connect directly to
>> the TV via HDMI? I'm not bothered about mad 8k and the like - decent HD does
>> me.
>
> Why bother with special players at all?
> Just connect the thing directly to your TV, using HDMI,
> control it in Screen Sharing, and just play whatever you want.
> (using VLC for example)

It's fairly handy using the TV's version of Plex. I'll have a play with both.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<u7rikj$39mgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16533&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16533

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:13:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:13 UTC

On 1 Jul 2023 at 22:19:54 BST, Theo wrote:

>> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
>> Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?
>
> Install Windows or Linux and use those versions of Plex?
>
> Or install Monterey via OCLP?

Thanks - I'll take a look at OCLP.

When I plugged the Mini in - after about 4 years sitting in a box - there were
no updates on offer. A little worrying there's no recent security updates at
least.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<Mhn*Ppfkz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16534&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16534

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 02 Jul 2023 11:21:26 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 10:21 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2023 at 22:19:54 BST, Theo wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
> >> Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?
> >
> > Install Windows or Linux and use those versions of Plex?
> >
> > Or install Monterey via OCLP?
>
> Thanks - I'll take a look at OCLP.

I have one of those, sent to me by someone of this parish. It ran Catalina
nicely via 'Catalina Patcher'. I plan to upgrade it to Monterey with OCLP
and redeploy it elsewhere when I get a chance.

> When I plugged the Mini in - after about 4 years sitting in a box - there were
> no updates on offer. A little worrying there's no recent security updates at
> least.

Planned obsolescence, innit.

Theo

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<1qd8snm.1r8wuey6r8abkN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16536&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16536

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 13:43:58 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 11:43 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2023 at 22:19:54 BST, Theo wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited
> >> to High Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any
> >> workarounds?
> >
> > Install Windows or Linux and use those versions of Plex?
> >
> > Or install Monterey via OCLP?
>
> Thanks - I'll take a look at OCLP.
>
> When I plugged the Mini in - after about 4 years sitting in a box - there were
> no updates on offer. A little worrying there's no recent security updates at
> least.

Having security updates on old machines and systems is much overrated,
(if they are of any use at all)

Jan

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<u80ppo$24noa$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16555&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16555

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:46:32 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:46 UTC

On 02.07.23 13:43, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> Install Windows or Linux and use those versions of Plex?
>>>
>>> Or install Monterey via OCLP?
>>
>> Thanks - I'll take a look at OCLP.
>>
>> When I plugged the Mini in - after about 4 years sitting in a box - there were
>> no updates on offer. A little worrying there's no recent security updates at
>> least.
>
> Having security updates on old machines and systems is much overrated,
> (if they are of any use at all)

You are an idiot.

--
Ut sementem feceris, ita metes (Cicero)

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<u81h04$254so$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16559&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16559

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 18:22:28 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 16:22 UTC

On 02.07.23 13:43, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> Install Windows or Linux and use those versions of Plex?
>>>
>>> Or install Monterey via OCLP?
>>
>> Thanks - I'll take a look at OCLP.
>>
>> When I plugged the Mini in - after about 4 years sitting in a box - there were
>> no updates on offer. A little worrying there's no recent security updates at
>> least.
>
> Having security updates on old machines and systems is much overrated,
> (if they are of any use at all)

You are definitely an idiot.

--
Ut sementem feceris, ita metes (Cicero)

Re: Old Mac Mini as a Media Server

<u85rvp$s4s8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16613&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16613

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 07:54:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 07:54 UTC

On 1 Jul 2023 at 21:41:59 BST, RJH wrote:

> I've a mid 2011 i5 Mac Mini I'd like to use as a media server. Couple of
> questions . . .
>
> Ages ago I added a second hard drive (1.5TB) using a third party kit. I'd like
> to change the disk to an SSD. Does anyone know the maximum drive size the Mini
> could handle - on either the third party add on or the main HD interface?

As advised, 4TB SSD installed and recognised without incident.

It did mysteriously disconnect a couple of times straight after installation
while copying files, and it has an 'Eject' option that I don't remember from
the old 2nd HD. But 3.5TB of files copied over and no further issues (so far).

> I'd like to try the HTPC version of Plex, but this machine is limited to High
> Sierra, and Plex HTPC only works on Mojave and above. Any workarounds?

Installed Catalina (thanks Theo).

> I'm using the Mini over the home network and it's serving content to my LG
> TV/Plex fine over wifi. Is this the best way to use it? Or connect directly to
> the TV via HDMI? I'm not bothered about mad 8k and the like - decent HD does
> me.

Seems to work very well connected directly to the TV HDMI. But I'm using it
over the network for now, via the LG/Plex app, simply because it's easier to
control with the TV remote.

I think this'll do me, and I'll sell the NAS and disks. The NAS was convenient
when I lived in a ethernet hardwired house with a number of connected devices.
But nowadays it's relatively simple, and wifi seems to be up to the job. Also
the noise and running costs of the NAS won't be missed.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK