Always try to do things in chronological order; it's less confusing that way.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Laptop woes

SubjectAuthor
* Laptop woesAndy
+* Re: Laptop woesMarco Moock
|`* Re: Laptop woesPhilip Herlihy
| `* Re: Laptop woesSH
|  `* Re: Laptop woesJaimie Vandenbergh
|   `* Re: Laptop woesAndy
|    `* Re: Laptop woesGB
|     +- Re: Laptop woesAdrian Caspersz
|     `* Re: Laptop woesAndy
|      +- Re: Laptop woesGB
|      `* Re: Laptop woesTony Mountifield
|       `- Re: Laptop woesPancho
`- Re: Laptop woesMike Halmarack

1
Laptop woes

<5KOdnXXI2e0LYjD8nZ2dnUU78VudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1654&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1654

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18:33 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Subject: Laptop woes
 by: Andy - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18 UTC

Asking for a friend.

11 year old samsung laptop running on mains [ battery removed ]
beeps every 20 minutes. Anyone know what that beep indicates?

Re: Laptop woes

<20211206215635.657dd605@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1658&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1658

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Laptop woes
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 21:56:35 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 20:56 UTC

Am Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18:33 +0000
schrieb Andy <user@example.net>:

> 11 year old samsung laptop running on mains [ battery removed ]
> beeps every 20 minutes. Anyone know what that beep indicates?
Does it come from the normal speaker or the system speaker (buzzer) on
the MoBo (maybe emulated)?
Is it a sound created by the system or is is the emulated
Windows newer than XP doesn't support using the system speaker (or the
emulated variant) anymore, but Linux can still use it.
Maybe it is also created by the BIOS. I know that some desktop
motherboards beep when the CPU is hot, maybe check its temperature.

Re: Laptop woes

<MPG.3c1953e997ed393798998d@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1659&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1659

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:20:47 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:20 UTC

In article <20211206215635.657dd605@ryz>, mo01@posteo.de says...

> Am Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18:33 +0000
> schrieb Andy <user@example.net>:
>
> > 11 year old samsung laptop running on mains [ battery removed ]
> > beeps every 20 minutes. Anyone know what that beep indicates?
> Does it come from the normal speaker or the system speaker (buzzer) on
> the MoBo (maybe emulated)?
> Is it a sound created by the system or is is the emulated
> Windows newer than XP doesn't support using the system speaker (or the
> emulated variant) anymore, but Linux can still use it.
> Maybe it is also created by the BIOS. I know that some desktop
> motherboards beep when the CPU is hot, maybe check its temperature.

Everyy 20 *minutes*? That probably rules out a "beep code", where various
patterns of long and short beeps signal some error condition.

--

Phil, London

Re: Laptop woes

<songuc$dnf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1661&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1661

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:35:41 +0000
 by: SH - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:35 UTC

On 07/12/2021 11:20, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> In article <20211206215635.657dd605@ryz>, mo01@posteo.de says...
>>
>> Am Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18:33 +0000
>> schrieb Andy <user@example.net>:
>>
>>> 11 year old samsung laptop running on mains [ battery removed ]
>>> beeps every 20 minutes. Anyone know what that beep indicates?
>> Does it come from the normal speaker or the system speaker (buzzer) on
>> the MoBo (maybe emulated)?
>> Is it a sound created by the system or is is the emulated
>> Windows newer than XP doesn't support using the system speaker (or the
>> emulated variant) anymore, but Linux can still use it.
>> Maybe it is also created by the BIOS. I know that some desktop
>> motherboards beep when the CPU is hot, maybe check its temperature.
>
> Everyy 20 *minutes*? That probably rules out a "beep code", where various
> patterns of long and short beeps signal some error condition.

That sounds like a signal from the power management indicating there is
an issue with battery... as in there is no battery detected?

Re: Laptop woes

<j1913lFkniqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1662&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1662

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 7 Dec 2021 12:07:17 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 12:07 UTC

On 7 Dec 2021 at 11:35:41 GMT, "SH" <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:

> On 07/12/2021 11:20, Philip Herlihy wrote:
>> In article <20211206215635.657dd605@ryz>, mo01@posteo.de says...

>>> Does it come from the normal speaker or the system speaker (buzzer) on
>>> the MoBo (maybe emulated)?
>>> Is it a sound created by the system or is is the emulated
>>> Windows newer than XP doesn't support using the system speaker (or the
>>> emulated variant) anymore, but Linux can still use it.
>>> Maybe it is also created by the BIOS. I know that some desktop
>>> motherboards beep when the CPU is hot, maybe check its temperature.
>>
>> Everyy 20 *minutes*? That probably rules out a "beep code", where various
>> patterns of long and short beeps signal some error condition.
>>

> That sounds like a signal from the power management indicating there is
> an issue with battery... as in there is no battery detected?

That was my immediate thought too.

Without a model number there's no real way to confirm that.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher
priority for ATC. I say safety is noise abatement. You have no

Re: Laptop woes

<VcOdnadmV4D6_jL8nZ2dnUU78KfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1663&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1663

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 13:36:39 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
 by: Andy - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 13:36 UTC

On 07/12/2021 12:07, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2021 at 11:35:41 GMT, "SH" <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/12/2021 11:20, Philip Herlihy wrote:
>>> In article <20211206215635.657dd605@ryz>, mo01@posteo.de says...

>>> Everyy 20 *minutes*? That probably rules out a "beep code", where various
>>> patterns of long and short beeps signal some error condition.
>>>

>> That sounds like a signal from the power management indicating there is
>> an issue with battery... as in there is no battery detected?
>
> That was my immediate thought too.
>
> Without a model number there's no real way to confirm that.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Latest update, he phoned 5 mins ago, it's now not happening today. He
said yesterday when it was happening it even beeped when the laptop was
powered down and the mains switched off!

Anyway thank you all for your responses, as It appears to have fixed
itself for now, I shall post no more on the subject.

Re: Laptop woes

<sont6m$al6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1664&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1664

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 15:04:55 +0000
 by: GB - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 15:04 UTC

On 07/12/2021 13:36, Andy wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 12:07, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

>>> That sounds like a signal from the power management indicating there is
>>> an issue with battery... as in there is no battery detected?
>>
>> That was my immediate thought too.
>>
>> Without a model number there's no real way to confirm that.
>>
>>      Cheers - Jaimie
>>
> Latest update, he phoned 5 mins ago, it's now not happening today. He
> said yesterday when it was happening it even beeped when the laptop was
> powered down and the mains switched off!
>
> Anyway thank you all for your responses, as It appears to have fixed
> itself for now, I shall post no more on the subject.

Do post, though, when he changes the battery in his smoke alarm.

Re: Laptop woes

<j19houFnt4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1665&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1665

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 16:51:42 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 16:51 UTC

On 07/12/2021 15:04, GB wrote:

>> Latest update, he phoned 5 mins ago, it's now not happening today. He
>> said yesterday when it was happening it even beeped when the laptop
>> was powered down and the mains switched off!
>>
>> Anyway thank you all for your responses, as It appears to have fixed
>> itself for now, I shall post no more on the subject.
>

> Do post, though, when he changes the battery in his smoke alarm.

<smirk>

In the long past I have been to a houses of elderly folks that have
smoke alarms bleeping away for low batteries.

I've offered to help change it, but no - they've been told to call the
fire brigade to get it changed. There's one lady that won't do that, as
in the last visit from them, she got a rude unwelcome lecture about her
paper rubbish hoarding habit. I can't get her out of this catch-22 (must
have another go!)

Problem is the battery beep is rather loud. And for also someone going
deaf with age, that repeated noise must exacerbate the decline. (It
would send me loopy).

--
Adrian C

Re: Laptop woes

<FuOdnc26lcNxPDL8nZ2dnUU78S2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1666&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1666

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 18:03:24 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
 by: Andy - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 18:03 UTC

On 07/12/2021 15:04, GB wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 13:36, Andy wrote:

>>> That was my immediate thought too.
>>>
>>> Without a model number there's no real way to confirm that.
>>>
>>>      Cheers - Jaimie
>>>
>> Latest update, he phoned 5 mins ago, it's now not happening today. He
>> said yesterday when it was happening it even beeped when the laptop
>> was powered down and the mains switched off!
>>
>> Anyway thank you all for your responses, as It appears to have fixed
>> itself for now, I shall post no more on the subject.
>

> Do post, though, when he changes the battery in his smoke alarm.

I did suggest that on the phone, but he insisted it was the laptop.

Re: Laptop woes

<soq7ni$jg6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1667&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1667

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 12:16:51 +0000
 by: GB - Wed, 8 Dec 2021 12:16 UTC

On 07/12/2021 18:03, Andy wrote:

>> Do post, though, when he changes the battery in his smoke alarm.
>>

> I did suggest that on the phone, but he insisted it was the laptop.

The batteries have lower capacity when it's cold, so the beeping can
come and go according to the weather/heating.

Re: Laptop woes

<soshnf$gpr$1@softins.softins.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1668&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1668

From: ton...@mountifield.org (Tony Mountifield)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 09:19:43 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Tony Mountifield - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 09:19 UTC

In article <FuOdnc26lcNxPDL8nZ2dnUU78S2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Andy <user@example.net> wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 15:04, GB wrote:
> > Do post, though, when he changes the battery in his smoke alarm.
> >

> I did suggest that on the phone, but he insisted it was the laptop.

If it happens again, ask him to take the laptop into another room, and
to see if the noise moves with it, or stays in the original room!
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Re: Laptop woes

<sosi6s$r5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1669&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1669

From: Pancho.D...@outlook.com (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 09:27:56 +0000
 by: Pancho - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 09:27 UTC

On 09/12/2021 09:19, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <FuOdnc26lcNxPDL8nZ2dnUU78S2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
> Andy <user@example.net> wrote:
>> On 07/12/2021 15:04, GB wrote:
>>> Do post, though, when he changes the battery in his smoke alarm.
>>>

>> I did suggest that on the phone, but he insisted it was the laptop.
>
> If it happens again, ask him to take the laptop into another room, and
> to see if the noise moves with it, or stays in the original room!

The problem is that single beeps are hard to direction locate. I've had
a smoke alarm confuse me for hours, if not days.

I find timing them, and, if regular, being prepared for the next one the
best location strategy.

Re: Laptop woes

<p116rgdhvqvsms39p16bvir2ulqkt8uacd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1674&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1674

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:41:03 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:41 UTC

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:18:33 +0000, Andy <user@example.net> wrote:

>Asking for a friend.
>
>11 year old samsung laptop running on mains [ battery removed ]
>beeps every 20 minutes. Anyone know what that beep indicates?

My own experience of strange regular beeps has been related to
bluetooth effects.
--

Mike