Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: UK Internet Regulation Play Want Bin (PWBE 30 Oct 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:56:27 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:56 UTC

So what am I not allowed to do on the UK Internet, and how in the world
is the government going to stop me? Will there be stern letters or
something?

Play:
--=--

Electrical Repair, Part 2 (RL) - *All* of the electrical outlets in my
house work again. I have enough confidence in what I'm doing now to
reconnect everything safely, and to at least isolate and cap off what I
now know is a bad bit of wiring. The original plan was to spend Sunday
getting the CRT and all of the 8-bit and 16-bit systems ready to go
again, but that got derailed by a spot of elder care and the kid being
sick. So no actual gaming for me this weekend.

Want:
--=--

Virtua Cop Rebirth (PS2) - One of the things I've been waiting on for
two months as it trekked slowly across the Pacific ocean. I elected to
do super-cheap sea-going shipping on this order just for a laugh, and it
was a steadily decreasing laugh over the space of 63 days. But it
arrives at my house today, reportedly.

Bin:
-==-

My old Internet router (RL) - So my reliable Netgear R-series is ten
years old, apparently. I was wondering why there hadn't been a firmware
update in a while. But more importantly, I'm no longer able to extend
its useful lifespan with aggressive cooling and other physical hacks, so
out it goes. Its replacement is a 802.11ax unit because the Wi-Fi-7
stuff available now costs a whopping thousand dollars each for the
decent models, mostly because the pandemic-era silicon shortages had
knock-on effects for this round of manufacturing. Imma wait that one
out, blud.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $4,014

-KKC, who has all the download speeds now.

Re: UK Internet Regulation Play Want Bin (PWBE 30 Oct 2023)

<Z5T%M.526578$s52e.320415@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1657&group=uk.games.video.misc#1657

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:03:21 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:03 UTC

> So what am I not allowed to do on the UK Internet

Why not find out, in 288 riveting pages:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2023/50/contents/enacted

> Play:

Minecraft (PS4) - having previously noticed some caverns underground
fairly near my main base, I thought I'd just dig straight down (at
least in a way which avoided ever removing the block directly below)
from the base to bedrock and see if anything had been there the whole
time (or rather, if it would have been had it actually been
generated). And sure enough, there was quite a large network of
caverns and tunnels featuring an extensive flooded section which would
spawn glowing squid. Which seems like a bit of a weird thing to find
buried under your house, so to speak, but there you go. I did the only
sensible thing, and dug out a wall to fill in with glass blocks to
make a squid-based aquarium. Lighting proved to be an issue (even
after scattering a few lanterns around the place), but not for the
squid at least. :-)

> Want:

Probably to try Saints Row (PS4), having had it downloaded for a while
now.

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: UK Internet Regulation Play Want Bin (PWBE 30 Oct 2023)

<m5-cnegkga50ht34nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1658&group=uk.games.video.misc#1658

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:11:05 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:11 UTC

In article <Z5T%M.526578$s52e.320415@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> So what am I not allowed to do on the UK Internet
>
>Why not find out, in 288 riveting pages:
>
> https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2023/50/contents/enacted

I ain't reading that. To be fair I bet not a single legal department
across the whole of Britain's technology and media sectors is going to
read it either. His Majesty's Internet namespace will just have to put
up with international pornographies and money laundering and fraud like
the rest of the world does.

-KKC, decorating his house with surge protectors and UPS units.

Re: UK Internet Regulation Play Want Bin (PWBE 30 Oct 2023)

<2250N.240132$4rg.37793@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1659&group=uk.games.video.misc#1659

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:54:54 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 10:54 UTC

[Re: Online Safety Act 2023]
> Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>
>>> So what am I not allowed to do on the UK Internet
[...]
>> https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2023/50/contents/enacted
[...]
> I ain't reading that.

It's mostly about policing internet services with user-generated
content. I'd say it has some good, some bad, and some magical fantasy
where Ofcom is everyone's fairy godmother who can be everywhere and do
everything. Something for everyone!

This is not legal advice. Ofcom fairy godmother status not guaranteed.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / UK Internet Regulation Play Want Bin (PWBE 30 Oct 2023)