From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:13:35 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 01:13 UTC

I want to bypass the recycle bin & securely wipe deleted data.

The drive is SSD. Win10.
I'll pay for it if necessary.

Re: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.

<sd6dkl$e0u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1661&group=aus.computers#1661

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:56:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:56 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
> I want to bypass the recycle bin & securely wipe deleted data.
>
> The drive is SSD. Win10.
> I'll pay for it if necessary.

Assuming it's the whole drive you want to wipe, check whether
there's software available from the manufacturer. With SSDs the
wear leveling systems make it difficult to be sure that data is
completely erased just by writing random data to it like you would
with a HDD. The manufacturer's software would tell the drive to
really wipe everything.

Or there's the old "drill a hole through it" solution. But it has
to be one hole through each memory chip for an SSD.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.

<lumefg5jqpkt08ocsko16flga90b1qcur7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1662&group=aus.computers#1662

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:38:19 +1000
 by: Petzl - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 23:38 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:56:05 -0000 (UTC), Computer Nerd Kev
<not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>> I want to bypass the recycle bin & securely wipe deleted data.
>>
>> The drive is SSD. Win10.
>> I'll pay for it if necessary.
>
>Assuming it's the whole drive you want to wipe, check whether
>there's software available from the manufacturer. With SSDs the
>wear leveling systems make it difficult to be sure that data is
>completely erased just by writing random data to it like you would
>with a HDD. The manufacturer's software would tell the drive to
>really wipe everything.
>
>Or there's the old "drill a hole through it" solution. But it has
>to be one hole through each memory chip for an SSD.

push windows key write
Computer Management in search bar push enter

Under Storage, select Disk Management. ...
In the lower right-hand pane, find the drive you want to erase.
Right-click on each partition and select Delete Volume.
<https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/methods-for-erasing-an-ssd>
https://is.gd/95TIX1

--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

Re: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.

<sd7oep$2q4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1663&group=aus.computers#1663

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 00:06:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 00:06 UTC

Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:56:05 -0000 (UTC), Computer Nerd Kev
> <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>>> I want to bypass the recycle bin & securely wipe deleted data.
>>>
>>> The drive is SSD. Win10.
>>> I'll pay for it if necessary.
>>
>>Assuming it's the whole drive you want to wipe, check whether
>>there's software available from the manufacturer. With SSDs the
>>wear leveling systems make it difficult to be sure that data is
>>completely erased just by writing random data to it like you would
>>with a HDD. The manufacturer's software would tell the drive to
>>really wipe everything.
>
> push windows key write
> Computer Management in search bar push enter
>
> Under Storage, select Disk Management. ...
> In the lower right-hand pane, find the drive you want to erase.
> Right-click on each partition and select Delete Volume.
> <https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/methods-for-erasing-an-ssd>
> https://is.gd/95TIX1

Ahh, it says that's how you delete the _partition_. Anyone with
Testdisk or a similar tool can still get the data off it after
that.

Said on the page it links to at the end, even:
"Please note, these steps in themselves do not actually remove the
data from the cells on the SSD. The command removes any partitions
that were created, meaning you no longer can access the data and
the drive appears as uninitialized. This is ideal if you have set
up an incorrect partition or selected GPT instead of MBR or any
other situation where you need to reset the drive to appear as it
did when you first received it." ...

The software from the SSD's manufacturer is what you want.

Here's an example from Seagate, though it's talking about USB
SSDs:
https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/kb/using-seachest-bootable-to-blockerase-ssd/

Booting from a USB memory stick or CD will obviously be required if
the PC boots from the SSD that needs to be erased. Seagate seem to
require it in any case when the OS is Win8 and later.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.

<6fqefgtv629eeaneighcfgv9fbmcpdvglc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1664&group=aus.computers#1664

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 10:29:21 +1000
 by: Petzl - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 00:29 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 00:06:50 -0000 (UTC), not@telling.you.invalid
(Computer Nerd Kev) wrote:

>Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:56:05 -0000 (UTC), Computer Nerd Kev
>> <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>>>Assuming it's the whole drive you want to wipe, check whether
>>>there's software available from the manufacturer. With SSDs the
>>>wear leveling systems make it difficult to be sure that data is
>>>completely erased just by writing random data to it like you would
>>>with a HDD. The manufacturer's software would tell the drive to
>>>really wipe everything.
>>
>> push windows key write
>> Computer Management in search bar push enter
>>
>> Under Storage, select Disk Management. ...
>> In the lower right-hand pane, find the drive you want to erase.
>> Right-click on each partition and select Delete Volume.
>> <https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/methods-for-erasing-an-ssd>
>> https://is.gd/95TIX1
>
>Ahh, it says that's how you delete the _partition_. Anyone with
>Testdisk or a similar tool can still get the data off it after
>that.
>
>Said on the page it links to at the end, even:
>"Please note, these steps in themselves do not actually remove the
> data from the cells on the SSD. The command removes any partitions
> that were created, meaning you no longer can access the data and
> the drive appears as uninitialized. This is ideal if you have set
> up an incorrect partition or selected GPT instead of MBR or any
> other situation where you need to reset the drive to appear as it
> did when you first received it." ...
>
>The software from the SSD's manufacturer is what you want.
>
>Here's an example from Seagate, though it's talking about USB
>SSDs:
>https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/kb/using-seachest-bootable-to-blockerase-ssd/
>
>Booting from a USB memory stick or CD will obviously be required if
>the PC boots from the SSD that needs to be erased. Seagate seem to
>require it in any case when the OS is Win8 and later.

Yes looks good but don't have a SSD C drive on my computer "yet"
probably need one for WIN11 and a NEW computer?
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law
Great lawyers know the judge

Re: Shredding deleted data on a system SSD.

<ilq794FifveU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1665&group=aus.computers#1665

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 19:21:38 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:21 UTC

On 21/07/2021 10:06 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 11:56:05 -0000 (UTC), Computer Nerd Kev
>> <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>>> Assuming it's the whole drive you want to wipe, check whether
>>> there's software available from the manufacturer. With SSDs the
>>> wear leveling systems make it difficult to be sure that data is
>>> completely erased just by writing random data to it like you would
>>> with a HDD. The manufacturer's software would tell the drive to
>>> really wipe everything.
>>
>> push windows key write
>> Computer Management in search bar push enter
>>
>> Under Storage, select Disk Management. ...
>> In the lower right-hand pane, find the drive you want to erase.
>> Right-click on each partition and select Delete Volume.
>> <https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-ssd/methods-for-erasing-an-ssd>
>> https://is.gd/95TIX1
>
> Ahh, it says that's how you delete the _partition_. Anyone with
> Testdisk or a similar tool can still get the data off it after
> that.
>
> Said on the page it links to at the end, even:
> "Please note, these steps in themselves do not actually remove the
> data from the cells on the SSD. The command removes any partitions
> that were created, meaning you no longer can access the data and
> the drive appears as uninitialized. This is ideal if you have set
> up an incorrect partition or selected GPT instead of MBR or any
> other situation where you need to reset the drive to appear as it
> did when you first received it." ...
>
> The software from the SSD's manufacturer is what you want.
>
> Here's an example from Seagate, though it's talking about USB
> SSDs:
> https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/kb/using-seachest-bootable-to-blockerase-ssd/

All SSDs that I know of have a secure erase command that erases all
areas including the oversubscribed wear leveling area and any replaced
pages. There is a standard SATA command for this but each manufacturer
seems to have their own take on it. I wrote code to erase Samsung SSDs
(among other devices) but that was in a very different environment.