How can you work when the system's so crowded?

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

SubjectAuthor
* Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?wlsut...@gmail.com
+* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?RH
|`- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?wlsut...@gmail.com
+* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?John Hall
|+* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?jack fredricks
||+* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?jack fredricks
|||+- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?RH
|||`* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?wlsut...@gmail.com
||| `- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?jack fredricks
||`* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?John Hall
|| +* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?mike
|| |`* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?jack fredricks
|| | `- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?wlsut...@gmail.com
|| `* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?jack fredricks
||  `- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?jack fredricks
|+* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?alvey
||+- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?wlsut...@gmail.com
||`* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?John Hall
|| `* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?alvey
||  `* Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?steve hague
||   `- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?alvey
|`- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?wlsut...@gmail.com
`- Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?Richard Dixon

1
Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<0e70a36f-54a5-4f2b-b666-3063657d5444n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16614&group=uk.sport.cricket#16614

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 17:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?
From: wlsutto...@gmail.com (wlsut...@gmail.com)
 by: wlsut...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 00:18 UTC

Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them. Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.

What happened to the last test v India in England??? Jeez, surely someone must have some brains and remember the Australian players will be in quarantine as well.

Honestly, they should just stay at home so we can make fun of them and suggest they go back to Europe. Maybe the cricketers can spend the next 6 months driving trucks to help England out of its current pickle.

Maybe a solution would be to reduce the series to a 3 Test series played in Qld/NSW and Victoria. No ODI's or 20/20.....they arrive Dec 1, do the 2 weeks in quarantine facility that is specially set up ie. includes cricket facilities. They then play the first test in Qld, then on to the MCG for Boxing Day Test and finally up to Sydney for the Last test then hop on the plane and get the hell out of Oz.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<0b7b91fd-504c-4e52-a62a-4ad0580387e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16617&group=uk.sport.cricket#16617

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 00:39:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:39 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 1:18:07 AM UTC+1, wlsut...@gmail.com wrote:
> Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them. Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.
>
> What happened to the last test v India in England??? Jeez, surely someone must have some brains and remember the Australian players will be in quarantine as well.
>
> Honestly, they should just stay at home so we can make fun of them and suggest they go back to Europe. Maybe the cricketers can spend the next 6 months driving trucks to help England out of its current pickle.
>
> Maybe a solution would be to reduce the series to a 3 Test series played in Qld/NSW and Victoria. No ODI's or 20/20.....they arrive Dec 1, do the 2 weeks in quarantine facility that is specially set up ie. includes cricket facilities. They then play the first test in Qld, then on to the MCG for Boxing Day Test and finally up to Sydney for the Last test then hop on the plane and get the hell out of Oz.

Oh dear, one of the kindergarten children has escaped ...

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<BBy$qGBRRBXhFw3j@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16622&group=uk.sport.cricket#16622

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:01:05 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 09:01 UTC

In message <0e70a36f-54a5-4f2b-b666-3063657d5444n@googlegroups.com>,
"wlsut...@gmail.com" <wlsutton54@gmail.com> writes

>Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in
>Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because
>of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them.
>Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.
>
>What happened to the last test v India in England??? Jeez, surely
>someone must have some brains and remember the Australian players will
>be in quarantine as well.
>
>Honestly, they should just stay at home so we can make fun of them and
>suggest they go back to Europe. Maybe the cricketers can spend the next
>6 months driving trucks to help England out of its current pickle.

We're not so much scared of being hammered as resigned to it, I think.
Australia at home are always tough, and England know they will be
without Archer, Stokes, Moeen (though his record in Australia didn't
inspire confidence) and probably Buttler. If those are the only
absentees, then the tour will almost certainly be on, but if Root and
other senior players with young families pull out as well then you're
reaching the point where the series would inevitably be so one-sided
that it becomes doubtful whether there's any point - other than
financial - in playing it.

>Maybe a solution would be to reduce the series to a 3 Test series
>played in Qld/NSW and Victoria.

Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?

> No ODI's or 20/20.....they arrive Dec 1, do the 2 weeks in quarantine
>facility that is specially set up ie. includes cricket facilities. They
>then play the first test in Qld, then on to the MCG for Boxing Day Test
>and finally up to Sydney for the Last test then hop on the plane and
>get the hell out of Oz.

That does sound like it might be a workable compromise. But I imagine
that cutting out two Tests and all the limited overs matches would
reduce the Australian board's income for the tour to less than half of
what they'd make from a full tour, so they might prefer to postpone the
tour for a year - though of course that wouldn't be straightforward, as
both sides will already have other series they are committed to for
2022-3 and that they'd have to weasel out of.

I may be late in finding out whatever is decided, as I'm off on holiday
to Malta tomorrow, and will have limited access to the Internet and to
the UK media. So I won't be posting here again till late next week.
(Always assuming I've filled in all the copious new paperwork correctly
and am allowed into Malta!)
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<2336f034-9d5b-48e8-914c-9529567f7215n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16625&group=uk.sport.cricket#16625

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:11:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 12:11 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?

Which draconian rules are you talking about?

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<b56dfaba-ca3f-4335-9b15-7df162a3d1f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16626&group=uk.sport.cricket#16626

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 12:23 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 10:11:57 PM UTC+10, jack fredricks wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> > Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
> Which draconian rules are you talking about?

Let's take a look at WA's current restrictions;
1. there are no capacity limits eg restaurants can have max customers. If capacity is over 500 you have to have a covidplan in place.
2. you must check in with an app when you go to a shop etc
3. there are some restrictions around visiting aged care (eg if in the last 14 days you've had covid or been overseas you shouldn't visit - I'm not even sure if it's a legal MUST NOT).
4. visitors (OS and other Aus states) must complete a travel pass. If you've been in a nationally declared hotspot you can't enter WA.
5. must wear a facemask at airports... um...
6. that's it? I think

Pretty bloody draconian.... a bit of an overreaction by the WA gov to their 1109 cases and 9 deaths (since the start of this pandemic) don't you think?

I'll take "draconian" over the UK's 8mil cases and 140k deaths.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<lr+7$GBUHFXhFwxE@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16630&group=uk.sport.cricket#16630

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:23:32 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 13:23 UTC

In message <2336f034-9d5b-48e8-914c-9529567f7215n@googlegroups.com>,
jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com> writes
>On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
>> Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
>
>Which draconian rules are you talking about?

My understanding is that the Australian states each impose their own
Covid rules, which in some cases are stricter than the national rules. I
don't know the details; hence my question. SA and WA were the states to
which Will's suggested revised scheduled wouldn't give a Test, so I'd
thought the reason might be that their rules were stricter.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<501a5157-1b7b-4bc5-a43f-ba7a768fdbf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16632&group=uk.sport.cricket#16632

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 06:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 13:41 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 1:23:12 PM UTC+1, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 10:11:57 PM UTC+10, jack fredricks wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> > > Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
> > Which draconian rules are you talking about?
> Let's take a look at WA's current restrictions;
> 1. there are no capacity limits eg restaurants can have max customers. If capacity is over 500 you have to have a covidplan in place.
> 2. you must check in with an app when you go to a shop etc
> 3. there are some restrictions around visiting aged care (eg if in the last 14 days you've had covid or been overseas you shouldn't visit - I'm not even sure if it's a legal MUST NOT).
> 4. visitors (OS and other Aus states) must complete a travel pass. If you've been in a nationally declared hotspot you can't enter WA.
> 5. must wear a facemask at airports... um...
> 6. that's it? I think
>
> Pretty bloody draconian.... a bit of an overreaction by the WA gov to their 1109 cases and 9 deaths (since the start of this pandemic) don't you think?
>
> I'll take "draconian" over the UK's 8mil cases and 140k deaths.

Jeeeeeeeeze ,..........................RH

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<a6b98edc-e7e3-43ab-9ecb-aeaa5b9673cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16633&group=uk.sport.cricket#16633

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 06:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 13:49 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 2:26:49 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <2336f034-9d5b-48e8...@googlegroups.com>,
> jack fredricks <jzfre...@gmail.com> writes
> >On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> >> Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
> >
> >Which draconian rules are you talking about?
> My understanding is that the Australian states each impose their own
> Covid rules, which in some cases are stricter than the national rules. I
> don't know the details; hence my question. SA and WA were the states to
> which Will's suggested revised scheduled wouldn't give a Test, so I'd
> thought the reason might be that their rules were stricter.
> --

yes it would seem daft to schedule a truncated tour in precisely
those states that are in lockdown that they arnt even playing SS
matches ATM. If Perth and Adelaide are relatively normal, then they
could have 1st test in hobart and then 2 in adelaide and 2
in perth and fly back from there. Surely its not that difficult to
rearrange things?

mike

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<1ae38bf5-835b-4dd4-985f-c732add73755n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16636&group=uk.sport.cricket#16636

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:25 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 11:49:58 PM UTC+10, mike wrote:
> yes it would seem daft to schedule a truncated tour in precisely
> those states that are in lockdown that they arnt even playing SS
> matches ATM. If Perth and Adelaide are relatively normal, then they
> could have 1st test in hobart and then 2 in adelaide and 2
> in perth and fly back from there. Surely its not that difficult to
> rearrange things?

It's really only Sydney and Melbourne that are issues covid-wise. Good luck dropping them from the itinerary.

ISTM that the real issue is uncertainty around future border rule changes, ie what will happen if the teams are in a state, an outbreak happens, and other states close the borders.

WA and QLD are very quick to close borders. IIRC the states agreed to only do this if an area was a declared hotspot. Sydney and Melbourne are hotspots today.

There are of course a billion exemptions for the border rules, and elite sports players should get one.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<b384fa3f-8ea6-4051-9a42-7d1dea5d5100n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16637&group=uk.sport.cricket#16637

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:28 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 11:26:49 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> In message <2336f034-9d5b-48e8...@googlegroups.com>,
> jack fredricks <jzfre...@gmail.com> writes
> >On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> >> Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
> >
> >Which draconian rules are you talking about?
> My understanding is that the Australian states each impose their own
> Covid rules

they do

> which in some cases are stricter than the national rules.

There are no national rules. Well, the national gov is responsible for the national borders, ie inbound international flights. But for those *in* Australia, it's all state-based rules.

>I don't know the details; hence my question. SA and WA were the states to
> which Will's suggested revised scheduled wouldn't give a Test, so I'd
> thought the reason might be that their rules were stricter.

They are stricter. I just found your use of "draconian" unjustified.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<86e65719-f927-46d6-a266-82b19faa1d66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16638&group=uk.sport.cricket#16638

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 07:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:34 UTC

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 12:28:41 AM UTC+10, jack fredricks wrote:
> They are stricter. I just found your use of "draconian" unjustified.

Oh, just to clarify... they're NOT stricter.
VIC/NSW's current covid restrictions are *significantly* tighter than WA's. For the citizens of those states.
Where WA/SA/QLD/TAS differ is their *border rules* are stricter than Vic/NSW. Essentially they have no covid, and they're using border closures to keep covid out, whereas covid is rampant in NSW/Vic and they want open borders.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<zwys0ytjou0q$.10cbatygjyhyg$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16640&group=uk.sport.cricket#16640

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 05:45:45 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 19:45 UTC

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:01:05 +0100, John Hall wrote:

> In message <0e70a36f-54a5-4f2b-b666-3063657d5444n@googlegroups.com>,
> "wlsut...@gmail.com" <wlsutton54@gmail.com> writes
>>
>>Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in
>>Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because
>>of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them.
>>Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.
>>
>>What happened to the last test v India in England??? Jeez, surely
>>someone must have some brains and remember the Australian players will
>>be in quarantine as well.
>>
>>Honestly, they should just stay at home so we can make fun of them and
>>suggest they go back to Europe. Maybe the cricketers can spend the next
>>6 months driving trucks to help England out of its current pickle.
>
> We're not so much scared of being hammered as resigned to it, I think.
> Australia at home are always tough, and England know they will be
> without Archer, Stokes, Moeen (though his record in Australia didn't
> inspire confidence) and probably Buttler. If those are the only
> absentees, then the tour will almost certainly be on, but if Root and
> other senior players with young families pull out as well then you're
> reaching the point where the series would inevitably be so one-sided
> that it becomes doubtful whether there's any point - other than
> financial - in playing it.
>

>>Maybe a solution would be to reduce the series to a 3 Test series
>>played in Qld/NSW and Victoria.
>
> Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
>
>> No ODI's or 20/20.....they arrive Dec 1, do the 2 weeks in quarantine
>>facility that is specially set up ie. includes cricket facilities. They
>>then play the first test in Qld, then on to the MCG for Boxing Day Test
>>and finally up to Sydney for the Last test then hop on the plane and
>>get the hell out of Oz.
>
> That does sound like it might be a workable compromise. But I imagine
> that cutting out two Tests and all the limited overs matches would
> reduce the Australian board's income for the tour to less than half of
> what they'd make from a full tour, so they might prefer to postpone the
> tour for a year - though of course that wouldn't be straightforward, as
> both sides will already have other series they are committed to for
> 2022-3 and that they'd have to weasel out of.

We have just the weas... man for that! If our PM can weasel out of a $90bn
military hardware contract than a couple of cricket tours would be a walk
in the park.
> I may be late in finding out whatever is decided, as I'm off on holiday
> to Malta tomorrow, and will have limited access to the Internet and to
> the UK media. So I won't be posting here again till late next week.
> (Always assuming I've filled in all the copious new paperwork correctly
> and am allowed into Malta!)

It'd be somewhat ironic if the poms didn't tour because too many of their
top players weren't available as Once Upon A Time they regularly sent below
full strength sides on tour.

alvey

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<b98454e4-2847-4f1d-914a-c81bddce6e99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16644&group=uk.sport.cricket#16644

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlsutto...@gmail.com (wlsut...@gmail.com)
 by: wlsut...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:09 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 8:09:39 PM UTC+11, John Hall wrote:
> In message <0e70a36f-54a5-4f2b...@googlegroups.com>,
> "wlsut...@gmail.com" <wlsut...@gmail.com> writes
> >
> >Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in
> >Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because
> >of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them.
> >Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.
> >
> >What happened to the last test v India in England??? Jeez, surely
> >someone must have some brains and remember the Australian players will
> >be in quarantine as well.
> >
> >Honestly, they should just stay at home so we can make fun of them and
> >suggest they go back to Europe. Maybe the cricketers can spend the next
> >6 months driving trucks to help England out of its current pickle.
> We're not so much scared of being hammered as resigned to it, I think.
> Australia at home are always tough, and England know they will be
> without Archer, Stokes, Moeen (though his record in Australia didn't
> inspire confidence) and probably Buttler. If those are the only
> absentees, then the tour will almost certainly be on, but if Root and
> other senior players with young families pull out as well then you're
> reaching the point where the series would inevitably be so one-sided
> that it becomes doubtful whether there's any point - other than
> financial - in playing it.
> >
> >Maybe a solution would be to reduce the series to a 3 Test series
> >played in Qld/NSW and Victoria.
> Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
> > No ODI's or 20/20.....they arrive Dec 1, do the 2 weeks in quarantine
> >facility that is specially set up ie. includes cricket facilities. They
> >then play the first test in Qld, then on to the MCG for Boxing Day Test
> >and finally up to Sydney for the Last test then hop on the plane and
> >get the hell out of Oz.
> That does sound like it might be a workable compromise. But I imagine
> that cutting out two Tests and all the limited overs matches would
> reduce the Australian board's income for the tour to less than half of
> what they'd make from a full tour, so they might prefer to postpone the
> tour for a year - though of course that wouldn't be straightforward, as
> both sides will already have other series they are committed to for
> 2022-3 and that they'd have to weasel out of.
>
> I may be late in finding out whatever is decided, as I'm off on holiday
> to Malta tomorrow, and will have limited access to the Internet and to
> the UK media. So I won't be posting here again till late next week.
> (Always assuming I've filled in all the copious new paperwork correctly
> and am allowed into Malta!)
> --
> John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

why I am not worried about your batting I have no faith In Australis batting lineup

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<8b15512f-2a4d-405b-95d2-c5d65ec45d54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16645&group=uk.sport.cricket#16645

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:11:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlsutto...@gmail.com (wlsut...@gmail.com)
 by: wlsut...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:11 UTC

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 1:25:53 AM UTC+11, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 11:49:58 PM UTC+10, mike wrote:
> > yes it would seem daft to schedule a truncated tour in precisely
> > those states that are in lockdown that they arnt even playing SS
> > matches ATM. If Perth and Adelaide are relatively normal, then they
> > could have 1st test in hobart and then 2 in adelaide and 2
> > in perth and fly back from there. Surely its not that difficult to
> > rearrange things?
> It's really only Sydney and Melbourne that are issues covid-wise. Good luck dropping them from the itinerary.
>
> ISTM that the real issue is uncertainty around future border rule changes, ie what will happen if the teams are in a state, an outbreak happens, and other states close the borders.
>
> WA and QLD are very quick to close borders. IIRC the states agreed to only do this if an area was a declared hotspot. Sydney and Melbourne are hotspots today.
>
> There are of course a billion exemptions for the border rules, and elite sports players should get one.

I am so anti-Queensland it verges on the War of the Roses but for once I agree with their Premiers stance on borders and likewise WA.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<f4fd000c-8955-41c0-a324-d91b0d2d8208n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16646&group=uk.sport.cricket#16646

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:13:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlsutto...@gmail.com (wlsut...@gmail.com)
 by: wlsut...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:13 UTC

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 6:45:48 AM UTC+11, alvey wrote:
> [...]
> > tour for a year - though of course that wouldn't be straightforward, as
> > both sides will already have other series they are committed to for
> > 2022-3 and that they'd have to weasel out of.
> We have just the weas... man for that! If our PM can weasel out of a $90bn
> military hardware contract than a couple of cricket tours would be a walk
> in the park.
> > I may be late in finding out whatever is decided, as I'm off on holiday
> > to Malta tomorrow, and will have limited access to the Internet and to
> > the UK media. So I won't be posting here again till late next week.
> > (Always assuming I've filled in all the copious new paperwork correctly
> > and am allowed into Malta!)
> It'd be somewhat ironic if the poms didn't tour because too many of their
> top players weren't available as Once Upon A Time they regularly sent below

I would be quite happy to give you Morrison......and am quite happy to keep the Borders closed

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<f06fd6b2-a5c7-4b09-b9a2-41e34df248a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16647&group=uk.sport.cricket#16647

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:14:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlsutto...@gmail.com (wlsut...@gmail.com)
 by: wlsut...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:14 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 6:39:49 PM UTC+11, RH wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 1:18:07 AM UTC+1, wlsut...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them. Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.
> >
> > What happened to the last test v India in England??? Jeez, surely someone must have some brains and remember the Australian players will be in quarantine as well.
> >
> > Honestly, they should just stay at home so we can make fun of them and suggest they go back to Europe. Maybe the cricketers can spend the next 6 months driving trucks to help England out of its current pickle.
> >
> > Maybe a solution would be to reduce the series to a 3 Test series played in Qld/NSW and Victoria. No ODI's or 20/20.....they arrive Dec 1, do the 2 weeks in quarantine facility that is specially set up ie. includes cricket facilities. They then play the first test in Qld, then on to the MCG for Boxing Day Test and finally up to Sydney for the Last test then hop on the plane and get the hell out of Oz.
> Oh dear, one of the kindergarten children has escaped ...

oh my, go and find FBI assassin and give him blow jobs you pommy twit

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<4c6b356b-ec1c-4549-bc3b-24ce959da362n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16648&group=uk.sport.cricket#16648

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: wlsutto...@gmail.com (wlsut...@gmail.com)
 by: wlsut...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:17 UTC

On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 11:23:12 PM UTC+11, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 10:11:57 PM UTC+10, jack fredricks wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 7:09:39 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> > > Do they have less draconian state Covid rules than SA and WA?
> > Which draconian rules are you talking about?
> Let's take a look at WA's current restrictions;
> 1. there are no capacity limits eg restaurants can have max customers. If capacity is over 500 you have to have a covidplan in place.
> 2. you must check in with an app when you go to a shop etc
> 3. there are some restrictions around visiting aged care (eg if in the last 14 days you've had covid or been overseas you shouldn't visit - I'm not even sure if it's a legal MUST NOT).
> 4. visitors (OS and other Aus states) must complete a travel pass. If you've been in a nationally declared hotspot you can't enter WA.
> 5. must wear a facemask at airports... um...
> 6. that's it? I think
>
> Pretty bloody draconian.... a bit of an overreaction by the WA gov to their 1109 cases and 9 deaths (since the start of this pandemic) don't you think?
>
> I'll take "draconian" over the UK's 8mil cases and 140k deaths.

and he wants to keep his State protected as do the rest of the States except NSW/Vic

But its all about politics and letting the Poms in without a quarantine sends a bad picture to his voters

Are all the Pommy players fully vaccinated?

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<ff3e46e0-1990-4466-b8b9-96c3971e1345n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16650&group=uk.sport.cricket#16650

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 21:19:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 04:19 UTC

On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 10:17:17 AM UTC+10, wlsut...@gmail.com wrote:
> But its all about politics and letting the Poms in without a quarantine sends a bad picture to his voters

He'd lose more votes, surely, if the Ashes weren't to go ahead and it was perceived ScoMo was a big part of that.
Knowing the Aus papers, though, they'd blame the UK.

> Are all the Pommy players fully vaccinated?

Are the ECB really say "no quarantine on first arrival to Aus"? Surely they must quarantine. I don't mind if this is at a Gold Coast holiday resort, but a quarantine seems a must.

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<WUfPfyEo8HahFwde@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16752&group=uk.sport.cricket#16752

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:04:08 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 19:04 UTC

In message <zwys0ytjou0q$.10cbatygjyhyg$.dlg@40tude.net>, alvey
<alvey@is.invalid> writes
>On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:01:05 +0100, John Hall wrote:
>
>> I may be late in finding out whatever is decided, as I'm off on holiday
>> to Malta tomorrow, and will have limited access to the Internet and to
>> the UK media. So I won't be posting here again till late next week.
>> (Always assuming I've filled in all the copious new paperwork correctly
>> and am allowed into Malta!)
>
>It'd be somewhat ironic if the poms didn't tour because too many of their
>top players weren't available as Once Upon A Time they regularly sent below
>full strength sides on tour.

I'm back.

Yes, what you say is true, but not for tours to Australia. At least not
since early in the last century when on one occasion Lord Hawke, the
Yorkshire captain, forbade Hirst and Rhodes to go on an Australian tour
because he was afraid they'd come back too tired to give their best for
Yorkshire in the following season; and when one or two of the top
amateurs felt they couldn't afford the time to tour.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<1haowsr94yna.193ou2das5gu4$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16756&group=uk.sport.cricket#16756

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:07:04 +1000
 by: alvey - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:07 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:04:08 +0100, John Hall wrote:

> In message <zwys0ytjou0q$.10cbatygjyhyg$.dlg@40tude.net>, alvey
> <alvey@is.invalid> writes
>>On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 10:01:05 +0100, John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> I may be late in finding out whatever is decided, as I'm off on holiday
>>> to Malta tomorrow, and will have limited access to the Internet and to
>>> the UK media. So I won't be posting here again till late next week.
>>> (Always assuming I've filled in all the copious new paperwork correctly
>>> and am allowed into Malta!)
>>
>>It'd be somewhat ironic if the poms didn't tour because too many of their
>>top players weren't available as Once Upon A Time they regularly sent below
>>full strength sides on tour.
>
> I'm back.
>
> Yes, what you say is true, but not for tours to Australia. At least not
> since early in the last century when on one occasion Lord Hawke, the
> Yorkshire captain, forbade Hirst and Rhodes to go on an Australian tour
> because he was afraid they'd come back too tired to give their best for
> Yorkshire in the following season; and when one or two of the top
> amateurs felt they couldn't afford the time to tour.

"too tired" after a 5 week sea voyage? What, sailing on the HMS Mad Rooters
were they?

alvey

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<34bb3706-405e-4a90-85f8-b966d4c13214n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16757&group=uk.sport.cricket#16757

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: richsdix...@gmail.com (Richard Dixon)
 by: Richard Dixon - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:16 UTC

On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 01:18:07 UTC+1, wlsut...@gmail.com wrote:
> Well for start Joe Root must be scared as hell of facing NSW bowlers in Australia. Honestly, they would go to the IPL and be locked up because of the money involved but touring Oz is a bit too rich for them. Actually "too rich" should be translated as "too poor" for them.

The one high-point of the winter will be RH's 5-0 prediction to England.

Richard

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<skcacg$1kfu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16769&group=uk.sport.cricket#16769

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:31:11 +0100
 by: steve hague - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:31 UTC

On 14/10/2021 21:07, alvey wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:04:08 +0100, John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <zwys0ytjou0q$.10cbatygjyhyg$.dlg@40tude.net>, alvey
>> <alvey@is.invalid> writes

>>> It'd be somewhat ironic if the poms didn't tour because too many of their
>>> top players weren't available as Once Upon A Time they regularly sent below
>>> full strength sides on tour.
>>
>> I'm back.
>>
>> Yes, what you say is true, but not for tours to Australia. At least not
>> since early in the last century when on one occasion Lord Hawke, the
>> Yorkshire captain, forbade Hirst and Rhodes to go on an Australian tour
>> because he was afraid they'd come back too tired to give their best for
>> Yorkshire in the following season; and when one or two of the top
>> amateurs felt they couldn't afford the time to tour.
>
> "too tired" after a 5 week sea voyage? What, sailing on the HMS Mad Rooters
> were they?
>

> alvey

You try rowing a ship that size for five weeks. The MCC hadn't the money
for engines in those days.
Steve Hague

Re: Are the Poms scared of getting hammered?

<139xq8km6kle1$.ezq92vpkk43j.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16770&group=uk.sport.cricket#16770

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 06:03:19 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 20:03 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:31:11 +0100, steve hague wrote:

> On 14/10/2021 21:07, alvey wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:04:08 +0100, John Hall wrote:
>>
>>> In message <zwys0ytjou0q$.10cbatygjyhyg$.dlg@40tude.net>, alvey
>>> <alvey@is.invalid> writes

>>> I'm back.
>>>
>>> Yes, what you say is true, but not for tours to Australia. At least not
>>> since early in the last century when on one occasion Lord Hawke, the
>>> Yorkshire captain, forbade Hirst and Rhodes to go on an Australian tour
>>> because he was afraid they'd come back too tired to give their best for
>>> Yorkshire in the following season; and when one or two of the top
>>> amateurs felt they couldn't afford the time to tour.
>>
>> "too tired" after a 5 week sea voyage? What, sailing on the HMS Mad Rooters
>> were they?
>>
>> alvey
>>
> You try rowing a ship that size for five weeks. The MCC hadn't the money
> for engines in those days.
> Steve Hague

Very good Steve.