The Law of the Letter: The best way to inspire fresh thoughts is to seal the envelope.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: T20 WC pitches

SubjectAuthor
* T20 WC pitchesMike Holmans
+* Re: T20 WC pitchesmax.it
|+- Re: T20 WC pitchesmike
|+* Re: T20 WC pitchesmike
||`* Re: T20 WC pitchesJohn Hall
|| `- Re: T20 WC pitchesmike
|+- Re: T20 WC pitchesmike
|`* Re: T20 WC pitchesDavid North
| +- Re: T20 WC pitchesmax.it
| `- Re: T20 WC pitchesJohn Hall
`* Re: T20 WC pitchesalvey
 `* Re: T20 WC pitchesmike
  `- Re: T20 WC pitchesJohn Hall

1
T20 WC pitches

<r41lmg9fbn1c8ek1e1eukbqqob890epmlc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16772&group=uk.sport.cricket#16772

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: T20 WC pitches
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 08:00 UTC

This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.

You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.

This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: T20 WC pitches

<ufvomgplkm2atpp85t268c4iopfiied5k3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16782&group=uk.sport.cricket#16782

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: T20 WC pitches
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:52:58 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 19:52 UTC

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
>were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
>in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
>the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
>
>You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
>they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
>slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
>
>This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
>who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
>

>Cheers,
>
>Mike

Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
comment on the pitch.
Ireland / Netherlands tomorrow could be a tight game.
Sri Lanka / PNG might be low scoring in only one innings.

max.it

Re: T20 WC pitches

<6b8ee4f9-d5b4-4de0-825b-e529d790a34cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16783&group=uk.sport.cricket#16783

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:16 UTC

On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 8:53:02 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
> wrote:
> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
> >
> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
> >
> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
> >

> >Cheers,
> >
> >Mike
> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
> comment on the pitch.

it doesnt seem to be on mainstream media, i suppose cos its a niche
product.

i thought on such pitches bangle might spring a surprise.
however the surprise went the other way so kudos to the scots, esp
wheal and davey despite losing their best batter for 0. its a pity
they dont play in tartan. if theres something for the bolwers, it
might make for more exciting matches.

but slow worn pitches wont be good news for our lot and
morgan despite getting to the ipl final hardly scored a run
and livingston didnt do much better.

any predictions? India surely vs NZ or maybe Pak with
oz or windies close behind although I wouldnt have thought
these pitches would suit them either.

mike

Re: T20 WC pitches

<090684c2-65e3-4fac-a2c0-865b83a28b63n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16784&group=uk.sport.cricket#16784

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:16 UTC

On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 8:53:02 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
> wrote:
> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
> >
> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
> >
> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
> >

> >Cheers,
> >
> >Mike
> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
> comment on the pitch.

it doesnt seem to be on mainstream media, i suppose cos its a niche
product.

i thought on such pitches bangle might spring a surprise.
however the surprise went the other way so kudos to the scots, esp
wheal and davey despite losing their best batter for 0. its a pity
they dont play in tartan. if theres something for the bolwers, it
might make for more exciting matches.

but slow worn pitches wont be good news for our lot and
morgan despite getting to the ipl final hardly scored a run
and livingston didnt do much better.

any predictions? India surely vs NZ or maybe Pak with
oz or windies close behind although I wouldnt have thought
these pitches would suit them either.

mike

Re: T20 WC pitches

<31340aec-0472-4737-a94b-0598085503cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16785&group=uk.sport.cricket#16785

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:20 UTC

On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 8:53:02 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
> wrote:
> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
> >
> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
> >
> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
> >

> >Cheers,
> >
> >Mike
> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
> comment on the pitch.

it doesnt seem to be on mainstream media, i suppose cos its a niche
product.

i thought on such pitches bangle might spring a surprise.
however the surprise went the other way so kudos to the scots, esp
wheal and davey despite losing their best batter for 0. its a pity
they dont play in tartan. if theres something for the bolwers, it
might make for more exciting matches.

but slow worn pitches wont be good news for our lot and
morgan despite getting to the ipl final hardly scored a run
and livingston didnt do much better.

any predictions 4 final? India surely vs NZ or maybe Pak with
oz or windies close behind although I wouldnt have thought
these pitches would suit them either.

mike

Re: T20 WC pitches

<$oNnU1AefIbhFwD2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16786&group=uk.sport.cricket#16786

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 21:30:22 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 20:30 UTC

In message <090684c2-65e3-4fac-a2c0-865b83a28b63n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 8:53:02 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
>> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
>> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
>> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
>> >
>> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
>> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
>> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
>> >
>> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
>> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
>> >

>> >Cheers,
>> >
>> >Mike
>> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
>> comment on the pitch.
>
>it doesnt seem to be on mainstream media, i suppose cos its a niche
>product.

Or maybe because Sky have the rights? They certainly gave it full
ball-by-ball coverage.

>i thought on such pitches bangle might spring a surprise.
>however the surprise went the other way so kudos to the scots, esp
>wheal and davey despite losing their best batter for 0. its a pity
>they dont play in tartan.

Yes, they did very well.

> if theres something for the bolwers, it
>might make for more exciting matches.
>
>but slow worn pitches wont be good news for our lot

True. It shouldn't have been a worn pitch for the Scotland game, though,
as IIRC it was a fourth ground additional to the three used in the IPL.
One of the commentators reckoned that Scotland's score was 20-30 under
par which, if he was right, made their win even more praiseworthy.

> and
>morgan despite getting to the ipl final hardly scored a run
>and livingston didnt do much better.

Yes, Morgan's form has been atrocious.

>any predictions? India surely vs NZ or maybe Pak with
> oz or windies close behind although I wouldnt have thought
>these pitches would suit them either.

England have two warm-up matches this week, before the serious stuff
starts next weekend. One is against India and one against NZ, so they
should be pretty challenging.

The good news for England is that they are in what looks to be by far
the weaker group, so they should at a minimum make the semi-finals.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: T20 WC pitches

<69aef48b-39f3-4e25-bb48-53e7191f820bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16787&group=uk.sport.cricket#16787

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 14:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 21:16 UTC

On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 9:40:29 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <090684c2-65e3-4fac...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 8:53:02 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:

> >> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
> >> comment on the pitch.
> >
> >it doesnt seem to be on mainstream media, i suppose cos its a niche
> >product.
> Or maybe because Sky have the rights? They certainly gave it full
> ball-by-ball coverage.

i was speaking tic, cos i expect the bbc etc could do a deal with sky for
a hilites package if they wanted, but its not on their radar.

mike

Re: T20 WC pitches

<luadkzcm0fwd$.l8w5udp47dua$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16788&group=uk.sport.cricket#16788

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:55:10 +1000
 by: alvey - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 01:55 UTC

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans wrote:

> This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
> were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
> in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
> the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
>
> You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
> they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
> slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
>
> This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
> who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.

Nuances are too hard for me. I'll stick with oldstances thanks...

alvey

Re: T20 WC pitches

<2e7280d5-99d3-4e80-9725-9e1154d60a7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16789&group=uk.sport.cricket#16789

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 05:33:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:33 UTC

On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 20:53:02 UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
> wrote:
> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
> >
> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
> >
> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.

> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
> comment on the pitch.
> Ireland / Netherlands tomorrow could be a tight game.

Well it's low-scoring, but how tight it is remains to be seen.

> Sri Lanka / PNG might be low scoring in only one innings.

It's SL v Namibia.
--
David North

Re: T20 WC pitches

<esqqmg9c9hdsvkaouiao6476akcfipja1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16790&group=uk.sport.cricket#16790

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 13:42:57 +0100
 by: max.it - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:42 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 05:33:12 -0700 (PDT), David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 20:53:02 UTC+1, max.it wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
>> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
>> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
>> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
>> >
>> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
>> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
>> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
>> >
>> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
>> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
>
>> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
>> comment on the pitch.
>> Ireland / Netherlands tomorrow could be a tight game.
>
>Well it's low-scoring, but how tight it is remains to be seen.

NL would need to hurry up.

>> Sri Lanka / PNG might be low scoring in only one innings.
>
>It's SL v Namibia.

That might be a bit more competitive.

max.it

Re: T20 WC pitches

<b8ba9cc7-9de3-4f0f-aa65-11ecb9fe3af6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16792&group=uk.sport.cricket#16792

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:23:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:23 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 2:55:12 AM UTC+1, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans wrote:
>
> > This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
> > were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
> > in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
> > the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
> >
> > You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
> > they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
> > slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
> >
> > This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
> > who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
> >
> Nuances are too hard for me. I'll stick with oldstances thanks...

england could do with a few nuances right now, its all a bit too bishbosh.
india 49-0 after 5 vs england 188-5. nothing wrong with that pitch.

is morgan aiming to be englands first non playing captain?

mike

Re: T20 WC pitches

<2mWrBkCKMcbhFwim@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16795&group=uk.sport.cricket#16795

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:55:06 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:55 UTC

In message <b8ba9cc7-9de3-4f0f-aa65-11ecb9fe3af6n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>is morgan aiming to be englands first non playing captain?

He may just have wanted to give as many of the batting candidates a go
as possible.

I hope that Liam Livingstone didn't fracture his finger in taking that
catch. Not only would it reduce our batting options, but he looked like
his bowling could be very useful.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: T20 WC pitches

<6Gdo5CCkJcbhFwBC@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16796&group=uk.sport.cricket#16796

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:52:20 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:52 UTC

In message <2e7280d5-99d3-4e80-9725-9e1154d60a7cn@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 20:53:02 UTC+1, max.it wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 09:00:06 +0100, Mike Holmans <sp...@jackalope.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >This looks like it's going to be a very low-scoring World Cup. CSK
>> >were amazing in the final of the IPL and got 192, and MI smashed 235
>> >in their final game, but generally the scores in the last 2-3 weeks in
>> >the UAE have been very low. Defending 125 has been possible.
>> >
>> >You've got three grounds which have just hosted 60 matches, and
>> >they're about to host another 40-odd. The pitches are going to be
>> >slow, tired, and difficult to bat on.
>> >
>> >This is going to be T20 for those who understand the nuances; those
>> >who just like bish-bash-bosh are going to be very bored.
>
>> Scotland match was low scoring. I didn't see much of it live so can't
>> comment on the pitch.
>> Ireland / Netherlands tomorrow could be a tight game.
>
>Well it's low-scoring, but how tight it is remains to be seen.

What are the odds of the Final being between Scotland and Ireland? :)

>> Sri Lanka / PNG might be low scoring in only one innings.
>
>It's SL v Namibia.

There doesn't seem to have been much wrong with the pitch for the
warm-up game between England and India.