'Course, I haven't weighed in yet. :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710281816.KAA29614@wall.org>

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: First class 69 loco painted

SubjectAuthor
* First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
+* First class 69 loco paintedGraeme Wall
|+- First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
|+* First class 69 loco paintedMrSpook cybIwj
||+- First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
||+* First class 69 loco paintedAnna Noyd-Dryver
|||`* First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
||| `- First class 69 loco paintedMrSpook qZ
||+* First class 69 loco paintedTrolleybus
|||`* First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
||| `- First class 69 loco paintedSam Wilson
||+- First class 69 loco paintedBevan Price
||`* First class 69 loco paintedMarland
|| `- First class 69 loco paintedMrSpook ua7
|+* First class 69 loco paintedBasil Jet
||`- First class 69 loco paintedGraeme Wall
|`* First class 69 loco paintedChristopher A. Lee
| `- First class 69 loco paintedChristopher A. Lee
+* First class 69 loco paintedMrSpook dm0
|`* First class 69 loco paintedAnna Noyd-Dryver
| `- First class 69 loco paintedSam Wilson
+* First class 69 loco paintedNigel Emery
|`* First class 69 loco paintedMrSpook o15 3vQw
| +- First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
| +* First class 69 loco paintedRoland Perry
| |`* First class 69 loco paintedRecliner
| | `- First class 69 loco paintedRoland Perry
| +* First class 69 loco paintedAnna Noyd-Dryver
| |`- First class 69 loco paintedRoland Perry
| `* First class 69 loco paintedMarland
|  `- First class 69 loco paintedMrSpook yl5zfnO
`- First class 69 loco paintedChristopher A. Lee

Pages:12
Re: First class 69 loco painted

<sac8q5$eha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1627&group=uk.railway#1627

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: First class 69 loco painted
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 07:21:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ArD4/3x1ue2z5miGKTjoKUWrH3E=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 07:21 UTC

Trolleybus <unknown@birchanger.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:16:26 +0000 (UTC), MrSpook_cybIwj@cd7bh5296tubk1.info
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:49:47 +0100
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Shouldn't that be a Romanian flag?
>>
>> AFAIK he romanian built ones were poor quality. Probably won't be using those.
>> One has to wonder why anyone would have had expensive equipment like this
>> built in a borderline failed state like Romania back in the 70s unless it
>> was union commie comrades repaying some favours.
>
> The BAC 1-11 was also built in Romania during the 80s.

Yes, but only nine out of 244 built, so less than 4%.

> Noisy buggers, but I suspect the UK-built ones were, too.

Yup, those Speys made an ear-splitting racket. But equivalent first
generation jets from that era were equally noisy (737-200, DC-9,
Caravelle).

> At least under Ceauscescu the Securitate
> would sort out any workplace discipline problems.

Yes, but that's not the way to produce a quality product.

Re: First class 69 loco painted

<sacmd5$7qd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1637&group=uk.railway#1637

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:13:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uZPjjHm79dBGh9vo07Uuz+FmZ+A=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:13 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trolleybus <unknown@birchanger.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:16:26 +0000 (UTC), MrSpook_cybIwj@cd7bh5296tubk1.info
>> wrote:

>>> AFAIK he romanian built ones were poor quality. Probably won't be using those.
>>> One has to wonder why anyone would have had expensive equipment like this
>>> built in a borderline failed state like Romania back in the 70s unless it
>>> was union commie comrades repaying some favours.
>>
>> The BAC 1-11 was also built in Romania during the 80s.
>
> Yes, but only nine out of 244 built, so less than 4%.
>
>> Noisy buggers, but I suspect the UK-built ones were, too.
>
> Yup, those Speys made an ear-splitting racket. But equivalent first
> generation jets from that era were equally noisy (737-200, DC-9,
> Caravelle).

I remember taking some friends to the airport and watching their 1-11 take
off. Even with the dustbin hush kits fitted it still rattled your ears
from a mile away.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: First class 69 loco painted

<sad4ds$bvj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1647&group=uk.railway#1647

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 16:13:00 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:13 UTC

On 15/06/2021 09:16, MrSpook_cybIwj@cd7bh5296tubk1.info wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:49:47 +0100
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 15/06/2021 08:48, Recliner wrote:
>>> I think it looks rather smart:
>>> <https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E32sS5DXIAY2XUU?format=jpg&name=large>
>>>
>>> In effect, it's a continuation of the class 66 series. Ironically, while
>>> new 66s would be illegal, class 66 underpinnings under a class 56 body
>>> shell are fine (and cheaper).
>>>

>> Shouldn't that be a Romanian flag?
>
> AFAIK he romanian built ones were poor quality. Probably won't be using those.
> One has to wonder why anyone would have had expensive equipment like this
> built in a borderline failed state like Romania back in the 70s unless it
> was union commie comrades repaying some favours.

At that time, Caucescu was almost regarded as "friendly" by some UK
politicians, because he refused to kow-tow to the bidding of Moscow.

Re: First class 69 loco painted

<iiv51aF4eaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1670&group=uk.railway#1670

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 16 Jun 2021 20:25:14 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 20:25 UTC

<MrSpook_o15_3vQw@mzjkzs0r3q1504j_73.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 09:15:20 +0100
> Nigel Emery <nigele3@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 07:48:30 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it looks rather smart:
>>> <https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E32sS5DXIAY2XUU?format=jpg&name=large>
>>>
>>> In effect, it's a continuation of the class 66 series. Ironically, while
>>> new 66s would be illegal, class 66 underpinnings under a class 56 body
>>> shell are fine (and cheaper).
>>
>> Second! 002 was out-shopped in Large Logo about a month ago.
>>
>> <https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/class-69-locomotive-unveiled-in-br-large-
>> logo-another-special-livery-is-coming.html>
>
> I wonder if the BR logo is going to make an official comeback with GBR taking
> over from the TOCs?

It would make more sense to use the original Union Flag with just the
cross of Saint George and the cross of Saint Andrew , get people used to
the change that will take place before too long anyway.
Though the way things are going Great Britain could just be a geological
term than a political union anyway.

GH

Re: First class 69 loco painted

<iiv6d4FcauU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1673&group=uk.railway#1673

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 16 Jun 2021 20:48:36 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 20:48 UTC

<MrSpook_cybIwj@cd7bh5296tubk1.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 08:49:47 +0100
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 15/06/2021 08:48, Recliner wrote:
>>> I think it looks rather smart:
>>> <https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E32sS5DXIAY2XUU?format=jpg&name=large>
>>>
>>> In effect, it's a continuation of the class 66 series. Ironically, while
>>> new 66s would be illegal, class 66 underpinnings under a class 56 body
>>> shell are fine (and cheaper).
>>>

>> Shouldn't that be a Romanian flag?
>
> AFAIK he romanian built ones were poor quality. Probably won't be using those.
> One has to wonder why anyone would have had expensive equipment like this
> built in a borderline failed state like Romania back in the 70s unless it
> was union commie comrades repaying some favours.

Having watched some Romanians at work this past week I would put too much
on things having changed much , they seem to have a natural affinity with
the short plank they could have moved to get an object down through an
aperture whose dimension had been measured and the object which was a
piece of grating cut to fit through. Except having found the plank
inserted into the aperture making the ole a 3rd smaller rather than move it
they were going to cut the grating into smaller sections . And painting
over large chalk written notices that said “do not paint here”,
ok they may not be that fluent in english but they seem to cope in the
local shop.
Spending most of the time on a mobile talking to friends elsewhere rather
than getting on with job when they think no one is watching seemed to be
another favourite.

GH

Re: First class 69 loco painted

<saf0q7$hu4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1681&group=uk.railway#1681

From: MrSpook_...@d2yghapheazxi5tgst.ac.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:23:35 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@d2yghapheazxi5tgst.ac.uk - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:23 UTC

On 16 Jun 2021 20:25:14 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
><MrSpook_o15_3vQw@mzjkzs0r3q1504j_73.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if the BR logo is going to make an official comeback with GBR taking
>
>> over from the TOCs?
>>

>It would make more sense to use the original Union Flag with just the
>cross of Saint George and the cross of Saint Andrew , get people used to
>the change that will take place before too long anyway.

I suspect scotland will go before NI and even then , I'm not as certain as
other it'll happen anytime soon. Any attempt to unite NI with Eire would almost
certainly result in large parts of Dublin being blown up on a regular basis.

Re: First class 69 loco painted

<saf105$kuf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1682&group=uk.railway#1682

From: MrSpook_...@4i0fymbsrp2r_bwd.tv
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:26:45 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@4i0fymbsrp2r_bwd.tv - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:26 UTC

On 16 Jun 2021 20:48:36 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>Having watched some Romanians at work this past week I would put too much
>on things having changed much , they seem to have a natural affinity with
>the short plank they could have moved to get an object down through an
>aperture whose dimension had been measured and the object which was a
>piece of grating cut to fit through. Except having found the plank
>inserted into the aperture making the ole a 3rd smaller rather than move it
>they were going to cut the grating into smaller sections . And painting
>over large chalk written notices that said “do not paint here”,
>ok they may not be that fluent in english but they seem to cope in the
>local shop.
>Spending most of the time on a mobile talking to friends elsewhere rather
>than getting on with job when they think no one is watching seemed to be
>another favourite.

The whole east european builders are 1st class is just a myth. There were
3 building jobs done on my road in the last few years by Igors and without
fail they all took forever, mainly because they didn't bother to turn up for
days at a time. One loft conversion took over a year to complete. Meanwhile we
had structural work done on our house by some brits and they did it on time and
on budget.