From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Damage?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:46:08 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:46 UTC

On 18/02/2022 16:21, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Not a lot considering. Lots of twigs and a few larger sticks, all dead
> and brittle, blown off the trees opposite and onto my drive and front
> garden.
>
> A panel of twin-walled polycarbonate blown out of the greenhouse. It's
> surprising how far the spring clips go! Fortunately I had some spares.
>
> The top half of a 5ft Tibouchina urvilleana snapped off above the tie.
> Well, it was inevitable really - it was getting leggy and it saved me
> the bother. I believe it shoots fairly readily, so with luck what's
> left of the stem will re-grow and give a better shaped shrubby bush
> instead of what was heading to be a standard.
>
> Otherwise, not much.

We lost an apex roof tile. It might be difficult to get a replacement as
it semicircular in cross section, and all modern apex tiles I've seen
are triangular. As far as I can tell, the mortar that held it on is
still in place, so hopefully the heavy rain expected in the next few
days will still run off.

Other than that only our neighbours lost fence panels. I don't know why,
but they always end up falling on our plants, even though they are
windward of the fence! Strange eddies, I guess. No obvious damage to the
plants this time, though. Last time a nice acer palmatum cultivar was
broken off to half its height.

--

Jeff

Re: Damage?

<j7a8a8F5n6eU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1692&group=uk.rec.gardening#1692

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:53:59 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:53 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> We lost an apex roof tile. It might be difficult to get a replacement as it
> semicircular in cross section, and all modern apex tiles I've seen are triangular.

Most places have an old-fashioned builders yard, who keep as many old-stock and
reclaimed tiles as they can get their hands on, the trick is knowing where it is
in your area, the one I used to know of locally was bought by a merchants chain
and no longer keep old stock ...

Re: Damage?

<suorg9$ubm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1693&group=uk.rec.gardening#1693

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:19:36 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 19:19 UTC

On 18/02/2022 18:53, Andy Burns wrote:
> Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> We lost an apex roof tile. It might be difficult to get a replacement as it
>> semicircular in cross section, and all modern apex tiles I've seen are triangular.
>
> Most places have an old-fashioned builders yard, who keep as many old-stock and
> reclaimed tiles as they can get their hands on, the trick is knowing where it is
> in your area, the one I used to know of locally was bought by a merchants chain
> and no longer keep old stock ...

I'd looked through some reclamation and "architectural salvage" sites
without success, but then found what I might need at
<https://www.acereclamation.com/Reclaimed-Half-Round-Ridge-Tile/2706.htm> or
<https://www.acereclamation.com/Reclaimed-Half-Round-Ridge-Tile/2705.htm>.
Mind you, I thought that this might look good
<https://www.acereclamation.com/Baby-J-Dragon-Roof-finial-half-round-ridge-tile/3502.htm>.,
but it looks like it's only half the length of a standard ridge tile.

--

Jeff