From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Discord invite
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:36:39 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 12:36 UTC

I'm no fan of Discord (as I may possibly have hinted at by now), and I
know I'd hardly ever check it, and obviously I still intend to post to
"real" ugvm, but... it does seem a bit silly for me to keep avoiding
the ugvm discord thingy for however many years it's been now,
especially when I already have a Discord account which I just dusted
off after fighting my way past like twenty different update dialogues
and levels of "I'm a human, yes really, no seriously, yes, actually a
human, FFS just let me in already".

So, assuming the ugvm thing isn't public, any chance of an invite from
one of you fine gentlemen?

-Rus.

Re: Discord invite

<l04ufsFnfrcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1691&group=uk.games.video.misc#1691

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Discord invite
Date: 9 Jan 2024 13:02:52 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 13:02 UTC

On 9 Jan 2024 at 12:36:39 GMT, "Russell Marks"
<zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:

> I'm no fan of Discord (as I may possibly have hinted at by now), and I
> know I'd hardly ever check it, and obviously I still intend to post to
> "real" ugvm, but... it does seem a bit silly for me to keep avoiding
> the ugvm discord thingy for however many years it's been now,
> especially when I already have a Discord account which I just dusted
> off after fighting my way past like twenty different update dialogues
> and levels of "I'm a human, yes really, no seriously, yes, actually a
> human, FFS just let me in already".
>
> So, assuming the ugvm thing isn't public, any chance of an invite from
> one of you fine gentlemen?
>
> -Rus.

Absolutely :)

Cheers - Jaimie
--
None of this will matter in 20 billion years.

Re: Discord invite

<e0cnN.1627278$zWV8.711663@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1692&group=uk.games.video.misc#1692

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 13:39:22 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 13:39 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

[Re: invite]
> Absolutely :)

Thanks. I think I can see the appeal in some ways, given the... how
can I put this delicately... slightly different tone being used to
that of the average post on here. :-) Plus, y'know, people actually
using it and stuff.

-Rus.

Re: Discord invite

<l06568Fu7pnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1693&group=uk.games.video.misc#1693

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 10 Jan 2024 00:03:20 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:03 UTC

On 9 Jan 2024 at 13:39:22 GMT, "Russell Marks"
<zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> [Re: invite]
>> Absolutely :)
>
> Thanks. I think I can see the appeal in some ways, given the... how
> can I put this delicately... slightly different tone being used to
> that of the average post on here. :-) Plus, y'know, people actually
> using it and stuff.
>
> -Rus.

Back in the dim distant past it was chatty here too. Siiiiigh.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++
makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away

Re: Discord invite

<wimdnatrTr5FdgD4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1694&group=uk.games.video.misc#1694

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:59:04 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:59 UTC

In article <l06568Fu7pnU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>On 9 Jan 2024 at 13:39:22 GMT, "Russell Marks"
><zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>
>> [Re: invite]
>>> Absolutely :)
>>
>> Thanks. I think I can see the appeal in some ways, given the... how
>> can I put this delicately... slightly different tone being used to
>> that of the average post on here. :-) Plus, y'know, people actually
>> using it and stuff.
>
>Back in the dim distant past it was chatty here too. Siiiiigh.

I am stubborn about wanting to make use of Usenet, but I'm also being
realistic about its prospects and future viability. There will come a
day when people on the Internet will make hard choices about keeping all
this infrastructure running, and eventually even the binary groups will
no longer be in use, in the same way that Gopher and anonymous FTP sites
did. But if we stop using the services and the protocol altogether then
that only accelerates the decline.

It is useful to me as a method of record keeping and as a public record
of my adventures in this hobby. But if there were no PWB structure I'd
struggle to find a reason to post here, given that all the conversation
and camraderie does occur somewhere else now. It's a puzzle with no
solution, only an exit that leads to a gift shop and a car park.

-KKC, who has some new karaoke microphones to test out.

Re: Discord invite

<jYynN.3$Bv8e.1@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1695&group=uk.games.video.misc#1695

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:45:19 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:45 UTC

> In article <l06568Fu7pnU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>On 9 Jan 2024 at 13:39:22 GMT, "Russell Marks"
>><zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>>> Thanks. I think I can see the appeal in some ways, given the... how
>>> can I put this delicately... slightly different tone being used to
>>> that of the average post on here. :-) Plus, y'know, people actually
>>> using it and stuff.
>>
>>Back in the dim distant past it was chatty here too. Siiiiigh.
[...]
> It is useful to me as a method of record keeping and as a public record
> of my adventures in this hobby. But if there were no PWB structure I'd
> struggle to find a reason to post here, given that all the conversation
> and camraderie does occur somewhere else now.

The way that it seems to be 95% non-games on there was surprising to
me though, I have to admit. A bit like ye olde comp.sys.sinclair, but
with less crisp-flavour rants and more moaning about work.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Discord invite