From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 04:20:32 +0000
 by: john west - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 04:20 UTC

Need to replace some wooden fence panels, which don't seem to have
lasted many years.
So wish to replace them with some kind of wire mesh fixed between wooden
posts.
Grateful for suggestions on which kind of wire mesh would be easy to put
up and also which kind of fairly quickly growing, but not too Invasive
greenery to climb up the wire mesh. Thanks

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<suq8ur$7op$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1695&group=uk.rec.gardening#1695

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 08:15:22 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 08:15 UTC

On 19/02/2022 04:20, john west wrote:

> Need to replace some wooden fence panels, which don't seem to have
> lasted many years.
> So wish to replace them with some kind of wire mesh fixed between wooden
> posts.
> Grateful for suggestions on which kind of wire mesh would be easy to put
> up and also which kind of fairly quickly growing, but not too Invasive
> greenery to climb up the wire mesh. Thanks

Wire mesh will never look as good as a fence. It will take quite a time
for greenery to cover it.

Are you talking about a 2m high fence? Is it in the sun or shade or a
bit of both? Where in the country are you? There's no point in
suggesting fast-growing plants such as Passiflora if you're in a cold area.

If you're in a warm(ish) area, fast growing evergreen climbers include
Passiflora caerulea, Holboellia/Stauntonia, some Lonicera,
Muehlenbeckia, Clematis armandii.

--

Jeff

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<MPG.3c7aefb770136953989e89@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1696&group=uk.rec.gardening#1696

From: nob...@hame.cock (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:15:20 -0000
 by: Janet - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 12:15 UTC

In article <supr6h$l34$1@dont-email.me>, mail.invalid456@mail.invalid
says...

> Need to replace some wooden fence panels, which don't seem to have
> lasted many years.
> So wish to replace them with some kind of wire mesh fixed between wooden
> posts.
> Grateful for suggestions on which kind of wire mesh would be easy to put
> up and also which kind of fairly quickly growing, but not too Invasive
> greenery to climb up the wire mesh. Thanks

Depends who or what you're trying to keep in (or out) of the garden.

How exposed it is to wind, footballing kids, deer, nosey neighbours.

Evergreen, requires regular maintenance and control at desired height?
Or deciduous, dies right back to ground every winter?
Floral, scented, thorny? Thick barrier? Thin?

Janet

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<sur4m6$mgg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1698&group=uk.rec.gardening#1698

From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 16:08:38 +0000
 by: john west - Sat, 19 Feb 2022 16:08 UTC

> In article <supr6h$l34$1@dont-email.me>, mail.invalid456@mail.invalid
> says...
>>
>> Need to replace some wooden fence panels, which don't seem to have
>> lasted many years.
>> So wish to replace them with some kind of wire mesh fixed between wooden
>> posts.
>> Grateful for suggestions on which kind of wire mesh would be easy to put
>> up and also which kind of fairly quickly growing, but not too Invasive
>> greenery to climb up the wire mesh. Thanks
>
>The location is North London. Its at the bottom of my garden and out of
sight behind shrubs. It will be 6 ft high. It backs on to a rarely used
green space and is also out of sight behind shrubs on that side.
My biggest initial problem is finding out what kind of inexpensive wire
mesh arrangement that is easy to install between the wooden posts.

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<MPG.3c7ba0641d67075989e8a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1700&group=uk.rec.gardening#1700

From: nob...@hame.cock (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:49:14 -0000
 by: Janet - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:49 UTC

In article <sur4m6$mgg$1@dont-email.me>, mail.invalid456@mail.invalid
says...

> > In article <supr6h$l34$1@dont-email.me>, mail.invalid456@mail.invalid
> > says...
> >>
> >> Need to replace some wooden fence panels, which don't seem to have
> >> lasted many years.
> >> So wish to replace them with some kind of wire mesh fixed between wooden
> >> posts.
> >> Grateful for suggestions on which kind of wire mesh would be easy to put
> >> up and also which kind of fairly quickly growing, but not too Invasive
> >> greenery to climb up the wire mesh. Thanks
> >
> >The location is North London. Its at the bottom of my garden and out of
> sight behind shrubs. It will be 6 ft high. It backs on to a rarely used
> green space and is also out of sight behind shrubs on that side.
> My biggest initial problem is finding out what kind of inexpensive wire
> mesh arrangement that is easy to install between the wooden posts.

I'd look for second-hand mesh security panels, the kind they use to
secure building sites; they interlock and stand of a concrete foot.

Janet.

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<sut3l8$fv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1701&group=uk.rec.gardening#1701

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:03:20 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:03 UTC

On 19/02/2022 16:08, john west wrote:

>> In article <supr6h$l34$1@dont-email.me>, mail.invalid456@mail.invalid
>> says...
>>>
>>> Need to replace some wooden fence panels, which don't seem to have
>>> lasted many years.
>>> So wish to replace them with some kind of wire mesh fixed between wooden
>>> posts.
>>> Grateful for suggestions on which kind of wire mesh would be easy to put
>>> up and also which kind of fairly quickly growing, but not too Invasive
>>> greenery to climb up the wire mesh. Thanks
>>
>> The location is North London. Its at the bottom of my garden and out of
> sight behind shrubs. It will be 6 ft high. It backs on to a rarely used
> green space and is also out of sight behind shrubs on that side.
> My biggest initial problem is finding out what kind of inexpensive wire
> mesh arrangement that is easy to install between the wooden posts.

As you're in North London, any of those climbers I mentioned will be ok.

--

Jeff

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<sutunb$8a4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1702&group=uk.rec.gardening#1702

From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 17:45:16 +0000
 by: john west - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 17:45 UTC

On 20/02/2022 10:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 19/02/2022 16:08, john west wrote:
>>
>>> In article <supr6h$l34$1@dont-email.me>, mail.invalid456@mail.invalid
>>> says...

>>> The location is North London.  Its at the bottom of my garden and out of
>> sight behind shrubs. It will be 6 ft high. It backs on to a rarely used
>> green space and is also out of sight behind shrubs on that side.
>> My biggest initial problem is finding out what kind of inexpensive wire
>> mesh arrangement that is easy to install between the wooden posts.
>
> As you're in North London, any of those climbers I mentioned will be ok.

Thanks to all. The ones you mentioned Jeff: Passiflora caerulea,
Holboellia/Stauntonia, some Lonicera, Muehlenbeckia, Clematis armandii.
Which of these would be fast growing and one that i could easily
propagate; say from cuttings ?

Re: Wire mesh and Vine fence panel

<suuc7i$k5q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1703&group=uk.rec.gardening#1703

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:35:45 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 21:35 UTC

On 20/02/2022 17:45, john west wrote:

>>> sight behind shrubs. It will be 6 ft high. It backs on to a rarely used
>>> green space and is also out of sight behind shrubs on that side.
>>> My biggest initial problem is finding out what kind of inexpensive wire
>>> mesh arrangement that is easy to install between the wooden posts.
>>
>> As you're in North London, any of those climbers I mentioned will be ok.

> Thanks to all. The ones you mentioned Jeff: Passiflora caerulea,
> Holboellia/Stauntonia, some Lonicera, Muehlenbeckia, Clematis armandii.
> Which of these would be fast growing and one that i could easily
> propagate; say from cuttings ?

Passiflora is probably the fastest, but will take a hit if there's a
frost. It will recover in time. Lonicera japonica 'Halliana' and 'Halls
Prolific' are also pretty fast growing. Muehlenbeckia complexa is also
fast, but tends to be invasive as it also creeps along the ground
rooting as it goes. It should keep its leaves in winter in London. The
other climbers will take a time to get established, but once established
can be pretty quick growers.

There's no reason why you shouldn't grow different climbers together to
see which one grows the quickest or you prefer.

--

Jeff