Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Ancient Greek Abacus Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Mar 2024)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 00:08:03 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 00:08 UTC

Greek? Shouldn't the mention of the abacus in the charter cite its Asian
origins since that one predates the western one by centuries? Not that
I'm being a snob about it or anything.

Play:
--=--

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (XSX) - Eh. I've run out of easy achievements to
achieve. I could power through to the end of the next chapter, but I
thought it'd be relatively simple to recruit fifty construction workers
or thirty hostesses. Probably the thing to do at this point is switch to
a different game.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (PS5) - Or I could spend fifteen hours on
this instead. The portrayal of Hawaii is so authentically American in
all the important ways, from the wide-open spaces to the weird way that
it still feels crowded even with only a few people in it. The harsh
sunlight and unexpected weather is really familiar to me as somebody who
has roots in the Pacific. I have literally just spent hours and hours
walking up and down the street, getting into random fights and then
getting really close to a mission objective only to get sidetracked by a
text or a phone call that sends me walking straight back the other way.
There is a sophisticated and plausible fast travel open (a taxi app on
your phone, basically) but there's no point in using it because you
won't be able to level or up meet NPCs along the way. And the 'Aloha
Links' friend-making app makes that pay off by connecting you to
literally hundreds of local resident just by pressing a button to make
Kasuga wave hello.

That's not to say that this is just a walking around simulator. Kasuga's
trip to Hawaii will of course have him cross paths with both corrupt
police and local gangs, and I found the exposition about what they're
doing very familiar, in a way that's not unlike how previous games in
the series took aspects of the real-life gangs of Japan and weaved them
into satisfying stories. Not sure I really dig bad cops being such a
pointed and matter-of-fact presence though, that hits really close to
home for me in uncomfortable ways.

Want:
--=--

My Analogue Pocket cart adapters (NGPC/LNX/TG16) - Due to be delivered
today! Excitement! I'll use each of them once and then never touch them
again! Sadness!

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $496

-KKC, who will probably lose sleep and eat less playing this silly game.

Re: Ancient Greek Abacus Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Mar 2024)

<p9HFN.1376507$Ko1.193283@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1720&group=uk.games.video.misc#1720

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 15:48:37 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:48 UTC

> Greek? Shouldn't the mention of the abacus in the charter cite its Asian
> origins since that one predates the western one by centuries? Not that
> I'm being a snob about it or anything.

To be fair though, I think the charter was originally written before
the invention of the abacus. Speaking of which...

> Play:

Outrun 2006 (PSP) - at long last, got to Flagman 4. I forgot just how
many events this final part has though, it's kind of excessive.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

The reversed versions of the stages in Outrun 2006 still messing with
my head, probably a bit more than they should at this point.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Ancient Greek Abacus Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Mar 2024)