Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Subject: longevity
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 21:51:43 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:51 UTC

wear wise 100k is not much for 3.6 litre v6 or big v8 but what about a 1
litre 3 cylinder turbo?

Re: longevity

<tb3ngn$c8bo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17278&group=aus.cars#17278

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: longevity
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 21:34:17 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:34 UTC

On 18/07/2022 7:51 pm, F Murtz wrote:
> wear wise 100k is not much for 3.6 litre v6 or big v8 but what about a 1
> litre 3 cylinder turbo?

Still not much.

I worked for Daihatsu when the Copen was released which had with a 0.66L
turbo 4 cylinder engine. I never cared for them but in all the time we
serviced them (including long after Daihatsu left the Australian market)
the engines proved to be reliable.

Of course there are many variables as there are with any particular
manufacturer/engine family. Nissan fucked up wholesale managed to make a
turbo diesel engine that required expensive timing chain replacement at
low km's for instance.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: longevity

<VdvBK.569851$X_i.540077@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17296&group=aus.cars#17296

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 19:57:07 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:57 UTC

On 18/7/22 23:34, Clocky wrote:
> On 18/07/2022 7:51 pm, F Murtz wrote:
>> wear wise 100k is not much for 3.6 litre v6 or big v8 but what about a
>> 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo?
>
> Still not much.
>
> I worked for Daihatsu when the Copen was released which had with a 0.66L
> turbo 4 cylinder engine. I never cared for them but in all the time we
> serviced them (including long after Daihatsu left the Australian market)
> the engines proved to be reliable.
>
> Of course there are many variables as there are with any particular
> manufacturer/engine family. Nissan fucked up wholesale managed to make a
> turbo diesel engine that required expensive timing chain replacement at
> low km's for instance.

originally the question was for someone else but now I am also
interested the car is made by Mercedes .Smart for two.
There are a few cheaper 130k or more but I am interested in comparing
longevity and wear with bigger toyotas for instance

Re: longevity

<mcgedh98pq9l42jpm404mv3v0kn01ovora@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17300&group=aus.cars#17300

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 09:44:47 +1000
 by: John_H - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:44 UTC

F Murtz wrote:
>On 18/7/22 23:34, Clocky wrote:
>> On 18/07/2022 7:51 pm, F Murtz wrote:
>>> wear wise 100k is not much for 3.6 litre v6 or big v8 but what about a
>>> 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo?
>>
>> Still not much.
>>
>> I worked for Daihatsu when the Copen was released which had with a 0.66L
>> turbo 4 cylinder engine. I never cared for them but in all the time we
>> serviced them (including long after Daihatsu left the Australian market)
>> the engines proved to be reliable.
>>
>> Of course there are many variables as there are with any particular
>> manufacturer/engine family. Nissan fucked up wholesale managed to make a
>> turbo diesel engine that required expensive timing chain replacement at
>> low km's for instance.
>
>originally the question was for someone else but now I am also
>interested the car is made by Mercedes .Smart for two.
>There are a few cheaper 130k or more but I am interested in comparing
>longevity and wear with bigger toyotas for instance

In spite of being made in France a well maintained example ought be
good for 200k+, much the same as any other turbo'd petrol engine (I'd
expect a non turbo to last longer). I know of one early example
(probably the 700cc engine) that's had the same owner from new and
would've run up quite a few km by now with no issues I'm aware of.

--
John H

Re: longevity

<jjp4khFnqgpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17301&group=aus.cars#17301

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:38:23 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 01:38 UTC

On 20/7/2022 9:44 am, John_H wrote:
> F Murtz wrote:
>>>
>>> Still not much.
>>>
>>> I worked for Daihatsu when the Copen was released which had with a 0.66L
>>> turbo 4 cylinder engine. I never cared for them but in all the time we
>>> serviced them (including long after Daihatsu left the Australian market)
>>> the engines proved to be reliable.
>>>
>>> Of course there are many variables as there are with any particular
>>> manufacturer/engine family. Nissan fucked up wholesale managed to make a
>>> turbo diesel engine that required expensive timing chain replacement at
>>> low km's for instance.
>>
>> originally the question was for someone else but now I am also
>> interested the car is made by Mercedes .Smart for two.
>> There are a few cheaper 130k or more but I am interested in comparing
>> longevity and wear with bigger toyotas for instance
>
> In spite of being made in France a well maintained example ought be
> good for 200k+, much the same as any other turbo'd petrol engine (I'd
> expect a non turbo to last longer). I know of one early example
> (probably the 700cc engine) that's had the same owner from new and
> would've run up quite a few km by now with no issues I'm aware of.

I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over 195,000kms,
when it was removed it was still running fine although a little "oily"
due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
How well its made and looked after is more relevant.

--
Daryl

Re: longevity

<tb7qoq$1bn9e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17302&group=aus.cars#17302

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:54:12 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 02:54 UTC

On 19/07/2022 5:57 pm, F Murtz wrote:
> On 18/7/22 23:34, Clocky wrote:
>> On 18/07/2022 7:51 pm, F Murtz wrote:
>>> wear wise 100k is not much for 3.6 litre v6 or big v8 but what about
>>> a 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo?
>>
>> Still not much.
>>
>> I worked for Daihatsu when the Copen was released which had with a
>> 0.66L turbo 4 cylinder engine. I never cared for them but in all the
>> time we serviced them (including long after Daihatsu left the
>> Australian market) the engines proved to be reliable.
>>
>> Of course there are many variables as there are with any particular
>> manufacturer/engine family. Nissan fucked up wholesale managed to make
>> a turbo diesel engine that required expensive timing chain replacement
>> at low km's for instance.
>>

> originally the question was for someone else but now I am also
> interested the car is made by Mercedes .Smart for two.
> There are a few cheaper 130k or more but I am interested in comparing
> longevity and wear with bigger toyotas for instance

You should see at least 200,000km out of that little engine as long as
it was well maintained to the manufacturers specification.

IOW not serviced by some unqualified shonk using the cheapest bulk
multigrade money can buy.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: longevity

<jjpdekFp1m0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17304&group=aus.cars#17304

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:08:53 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 04:08 UTC

On 20/07/2022 11:38 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 20/7/2022 9:44 am, John_H wrote:
>> F Murtz wrote:

>>> originally the question was for someone else but now I am also
>>> interested the car is made by Mercedes .Smart for two.
>>> There are a few cheaper 130k or more but I am interested in comparing
>>> longevity and wear with bigger toyotas for instance
>>
>> In spite of being made in France a well maintained example ought be
>> good for 200k+, much the same as any other turbo'd petrol engine (I'd
>> expect a non turbo to last longer).  I know of one early example
>> (probably the 700cc engine) that's had the same owner from new and
>> would've run up quite a few km by now with no issues I'm aware of.
>>

> I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
> there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over 195,000kms,
> when it was removed it was still running fine although a little "oily"
> due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
> The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
> Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
> kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
> How well its made and looked after is more relevant.

A friend has had a little Daihatsu ute for the last 20 odd years, it's
still going fine. He reckons that it is a self powered trailer.

Re: longevity

<a72fdhtj5siovhsjsufk4qgoclnkn98sa7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17306&group=aus.cars#17306

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:54:37 +1000
 by: John_H - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 04:54 UTC

Daryl wrote:

>I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
>there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over 195,000kms,
>when it was removed it was still running fine although a little "oily"
>due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
>The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
>Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
>kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
>How well its made and looked after is more relevant.

Daihatsu make large cars... at least when compared to the Smart Fortwo
(which can park cross wise in a normal parking bay).

They're also pretty rare as they only ever sold a couple of hundred or
so in a good year and are no longer being imported AFAIK so backup
might be a problem, even for someone who can afford to buy parts from
a Mercedes dealer.

I do happen to know a lady who's had one for many years, and swears by
it, but her husband is a mechanic which probably helps with the
maintenance side of it. She's also used it for relatively long trips
in spite of the risk of it being sucked up the air intake of a large
truck. :)

--
John H

Re: longevity

<jjpluhFqbs1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17309&group=aus.cars#17309

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:33:51 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 06:33 UTC

On 20/7/2022 2:54 pm, John_H wrote:
> Daryl wrote:
>>
>> I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
>> there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over 195,000kms,
>> when it was removed it was still running fine although a little "oily"
>> due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
>> The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
>> Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
>> kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
>> How well its made and looked after is more relevant.
>
> Daihatsu make large cars... at least when compared to the Smart Fortwo
> (which can park cross wise in a normal parking bay).
>
> They're also pretty rare as they only ever sold a couple of hundred or
> so in a good year and are no longer being imported AFAIK so backup
> might be a problem, even for someone who can afford to buy parts from
> a Mercedes dealer.

I've never bought anything from a MB dealer, I've only ever needed
service items and they are readily available, I buy parts for European
cars from Run Auto Parts in Melbourne, usually delivered within a couple
of days.
Daihatsu service items like filters and brake parts are also easy enough
to get, body parts not so easy.

> I do happen to know a lady who's had one for many years, and swears by
> it, but her husband is a mechanic which probably helps with the
> maintenance side of it. She's also used it for relatively long trips
> in spite of the risk of it being sucked up the air intake of a large
> truck. :)

LOL, son's 1995 Mira is pretty much the same track and wheelbase as an
original Mini so pretty small, driving it reminds me of driving a Mini.

--
Daryl

Re: longevity

<tb8f54$1gppf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17313&group=aus.cars#17313

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:42:05 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 08:42 UTC

On 20/07/2022 12:08 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 20/07/2022 11:38 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> In spite of being made in France a well maintained example ought be
>>> good for 200k+, much the same as any other turbo'd petrol engine (I'd
>>> expect a non turbo to last longer).  I know of one early example
>>> (probably the 700cc engine) that's had the same owner from new and
>>> would've run up quite a few km by now with no issues I'm aware of.
>>>

>> I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
>> there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over
>> 195,000kms, when it was removed it was still running fine although a
>> little "oily" due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
>> The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
>> Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
>> kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
>> How well its made and looked after is more relevant.
>>
> A friend has had a little Daihatsu ute for the last 20 odd years, it's
> still going fine. He reckons that it is a self powered trailer.

He'd be right :-) Apart from a couple of issues Daihatsu made
ubre-reliable vehicles. As expected being Japanese and a subsidiary of
Toyota I suppose.

One of the biggest issues on the 3 cylinder Charade were the clutches
which would need to be replaced at around 60k, much sooner if the
drivers rested their foot on the clutch. I did so many of them that I
got the time to replace them down to 45mins, push/drive in - drive out.
Made a healthy bonus on every one of them. Everything was readily
accessible with a rattlegun, light and, surprisingly, there was plenty
of room.

Other issues from memory were that the distributor/points setup was
problematic and they had an anti-dieseling solenoid that would fail
which caused them to run on for an eternity.

All in all though they were fun little shitboxes.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: longevity

<tb8l6d$1i8gn$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17317&group=aus.cars#17317

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 20:25:16 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:25 UTC

On 20/07/2022 11:38 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 20/7/2022 9:44 am, John_H wrote:

>> In spite of being made in France a well maintained example ought be
>> good for 200k+, much the same as any other turbo'd petrol engine (I'd
>> expect a non turbo to last longer).  I know of one early example
>> (probably the 700cc engine) that's had the same owner from new and
>> would've run up quite a few km by now with no issues I'm aware of.
>>

> I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
> there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over 195,000kms,
> when it was removed it was still running fine although a little "oily"
> due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
> The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
> Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
> kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
> How well its made and looked after is more relevant.

How well it's maintained and how it's used at the two single biggest
factors regarding durability.

Mileage is no guarantee of condition.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: longevity

<jjq6p2Ft1hhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17322&group=aus.cars#17322

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 21:21:04 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:21 UTC

On 20/7/2022 8:25 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/07/2022 11:38 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 20/7/2022 9:44 am, John_H wrote:
>

>>> In spite of being made in France a well maintained example ought be
>>> good for 200k+, much the same as any other turbo'd petrol engine (I'd
>>> expect a non turbo to last longer).  I know of one early example
>>> (probably the 700cc engine) that's had the same owner from new and
>>> would've run up quite a few km by now with no issues I'm aware of.
>>>

>> I've had no experience with Smart cars but I have a bit with Daihatsu,
>> there is a 600cc engine under my carport that has done over
>> 195,000kms, when it was removed it was still running fine although a
>> little "oily" due to badly leaking valve cover gasket.
>> The 660cc was replaced with a low kms 1.0lt which bolted straight in,
>> Daihatsu seem to be well made little cars that can easily do plenty of
>> kms if looked after, the engine size is irrelevant to its longevity.
>> How well its made and looked after is more relevant.
>
> How well it's maintained and how it's used at the two single biggest
> factors regarding durability.

Unless it's a Nissan. Then it could shit itself in as little as
50,000klm - no matter how well it was maintained. Design *features* are
like that!

> Mileage is no guarantee of condition.

Nissan owners soon learn that and, if they've learnt anything, they buy
something different for their next set of wheels. Right, Darren?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: longevity

<tba7f7$1v0gn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17337&group=aus.cars#17337

From: noth...@orthere.com (JONZ)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 10:43:17 +1000
 by: JONZ - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 00:43 UTC

On 7/20/2022 12:54 PM, Clocky wrote:
> On 19/07/2022 5:57 pm, F Murtz wrote:
>>>
>>> Still not much.
>>>
>>> I worked for Daihatsu when the Copen was released which had with a
>>> 0.66L turbo 4 cylinder engine. I never cared for them but in all the
>>> time we serviced them (including long after Daihatsu left the
>>> Australian market) the engines proved to be reliable.
>>>
>>> Of course there are many variables as there are with any particular
>>> manufacturer/engine family. Nissan fucked up wholesale managed to
>>> make a turbo diesel engine that required expensive timing chain
>>> replacement at low km's for instance.

>> originally the question was for someone else but now I am also
>> interested the car is made by Mercedes .Smart for two.
>> There are a few cheaper 130k or more but I am interested in comparing
>> longevity and wear with bigger toyotas for instance
>
> You should see at least 200,000km out of that little engine as long as
> it was well maintained to the manufacturers specification.
>
> IOW not serviced by some unqualified shonk using the cheapest bulk
> multigrade money can buy.
Yairs, stay stay well away from *you* then.