Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Openly a Gamer Play Want Bin (PWBE 22 Apr 2024)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:33:23 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:33 UTC

I wonder if the police will stop me from walking anywhere if I happen to
be carrying a Steam Deck on me.

Play:
--=--

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (PS5) - Just some more tooling around
unlocking the various social bond discussions while I wander Hawaii.
It's amazing how a little thing like discussing popular literature or
tending to a small first aid injury fleshes out the characters in a way
that only makes you, as the player, more fond of each of them. You spend
more time with them because they're interesting, and they're interesting
so you want to spend more time with them. With that said, there are a
couple of unbalanced side quests that I haven't been able to crack,
which involve being an uninsured film stuntman and an unpaid lemonade
delivery boy.

All the Evercade games (EVC) - I'll have more to say in the podcast, but
it's worth mentioning now that the Vs and the EXP now track which
cartridges you've plugged into your system, as a way of stoking your
FOMO fire by letting you know which carts you're missing. I have 47 out
of 55 as of this writing, and I'm not strongly motivated to get the
missing ones because they're games that I don't care about. Duke Nukem?
You can keep it. I will pre-order the Tomb Raider collection though
because that will be magnificent to have in a handheld format.

Want:
--=--

More space (RL) - Setting the Evercade Vs out temporarily to get the
firmware updated and get all my carts plugged in reminded me that I
don't technically have room for the Evercade Vs to be plugged in
anywhere. I do technically have all my electrical issues sorted out, so
I have a whole electrical circuit going unused that I should get my
retro systems connected to, but for lack of actual room to move around
in. I need to do something besides all of this plastic and cardboard
that I'm using to store things.

Bin:
-==-

Xbox GamePass Rewards (XSX) - You know what? I'm tired of playing games
where the rules keep changing. Case in point, Microsoft rewards you with
points for playing a game every day and getting an achievement every
day. That's fine, but at a certain point they said you had to play the
game for fifteen minutes. Then they said the game had to be installed on
your console and not just played from their cloud service. Then they
started limiting the timeframe where you could get the achievement, and
then they defaulted everybody's system to stop notifying about
achievements so that they didn't stop playing right away after getting
one. So you know what? That's totally not worth the effort. And a free
GamePass month takes two months to earn. So you can have your stupid
online service back, I won't use it and I'll play all these games on
Playstation instead. Come get me when if your rewards program ever gets
out of its perpetual 'Beta' status and we can talk again, but for now
the Sexbox is a glorified Kodi and Morrowind machine again.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $1,041

Unicorn Overlord (PS5) - $40
Home Computer Heroes (EVC) - $20

Total to date - $1,101

-KKC, who needs to find a game worth exactly $10 to buy this week.

Re: Openly a Gamer Play Want Bin (PWBE 22 Apr 2024)

<MzxVN.696514$NX2.493431@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1737&group=uk.games.video.misc#1737

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Openly a Gamer Play Want Bin (PWBE 22 Apr 2024)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:59:08 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:59 UTC

> I wonder if the police will stop me from walking anywhere if I happen to
> be carrying a Steam Deck on me.

With the size of that thing it probably counts as an offensive weapon.

> Play:

Outrun 2006 (PSP) - cleared the endpoint of Flagman 4 finally, after
winning the two probably-fifteen-stage races. But I still only have an
overall ranking of B, so I think that might need pushing up to A
before the game actually counts it as done.

> Want:

To get a slightly nicer version of Outrun 2006 more easily playable at
some point, as fun as the PSP version is. I did get an N100-based mini
PC recently (mostly to run LLMs better than a Pi 400 can), and despite
considerable crapitude when compared to modern PCs as a whole, it may
well be up to doing this one way or another. :-)

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: Openly a Gamer Play Want Bin (PWBE 22 Apr 2024)

<WJudnb9sztxFeLv7nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1738&group=uk.games.video.misc#1738

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 22:34:00 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 22:34 UTC

In article <MzxVN.696514$NX2.493431@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> Want:
>
>To get a slightly nicer version of Outrun 2006 more easily playable at
>some point, as fun as the PSP version is. I did get an N100-based mini
>PC recently (mostly to run LLMs better than a Pi 400 can), and despite
>considerable crapitude when compared to modern PCs as a whole, it may
>well be up to doing this one way or another. :-)

The PS2 version is nice but doesn't play well with emulators for reasons
that have to do with the non-standard way Sega did the graphics data.
The Xbox version is the one to have, but it's also the least accessible
in terms of being able to enjoy the game anywhere other than on its
intended platform. It's kind of a crime that all these later Sega racing
titles haven't been remastered and rereleased a dozen times over.

I made a special effort to get Sega Rally 2006 for the PS2, as it's
arguably the final form of what we would recognise as the original
arcade experience. That title was JPN-region exclusive for what I can
only assume were spiteful reasons.

-KKC, who wonders what it takes to get Sega first-party games on Evercade.

Re: Openly a Gamer Play Want Bin (PWBE 22 Apr 2024)

<olJVN.658750$gq2.264482@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1739&group=uk.games.video.misc#1739

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:23:00 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 07:23 UTC

> Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>>To get a slightly nicer version of Outrun 2006 more easily playable at
>>some point, as fun as the PSP version is. I did get an N100-based mini
[...]
> The PS2 version is nice but doesn't play well with emulators for reasons
> that have to do with the non-standard way Sega did the graphics data.

Yeah, it'd fall a bit short of that one I think, maybe like 50% speed.
But I'm hoping to eventually get the PC version working.

> It's kind of a crime that all these later Sega racing
> titles haven't been remastered and rereleased a dozen times over.

What always gets me is that Outrun 2006 just never really sold well at
all AIUI. Which (in addition to possibly explaining said crime in this
case) has had some weird consequences, like the Xbox version now being
worth... somewhat more than the 4 quid I got it for, back in 2008. :-)

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Openly a Gamer Play Want Bin (PWBE 22 Apr 2024)