From: tru...@fuck.labor.com (veritas)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: busted spark-plug lead
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:25:45 +0800
 by: veritas - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 07:25 UTC

Rainy afternoon, so I decided to change the spark plugs. One lead was
very hard to get off. I pulled them all by the rubber boots, but alas I
see the round metal clip still on one spark plug. So I have broken the
bloody thing. I pushed that metal back into the rubber boot with a bolt,
hoping that I could drive it 2 miles to Supercrap Auto for new leads.
And would you believe it? It runs smooth as a baby's bottom.
Happened to be the shortest lead, maybe that helped?

Re: busted spark-plug lead

<tbg9g1$3o7sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17408&group=aus.cars#17408

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: busted spark-plug lead
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:54:39 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 07:54 UTC

On 23/07/2022 3:25 pm, veritas wrote:
> Rainy afternoon, so I decided to change the spark plugs. One lead was
> very hard to get off. I pulled them all by the rubber boots, but alas I
> see the round metal clip still on one spark plug. So I have broken the
> bloody thing. I pushed that metal back into the rubber boot with a bolt,
> hoping that I could drive it 2 miles to Supercrap Auto for new leads.
> And would you believe it? It runs smooth as a baby's bottom.
> Happened to be the shortest lead, maybe that helped?

HEI systems can jump quite a gap as long as the lead end is near the
connector it will follow the least path to resistance which is likely to
be the spark gap.

On that note, I mowed the lawn with my pushy last week and noted it had
a very slight misfire. Not having changed the plug in 15 years I thought
it was probably overdue only to find the ceramic stuck in the plug lead
- it had completely broken away from the rest of the plug. Must have
knocked it or something.

That the spark managed to jump from the center or the ceramic to the
center of the remaining part of the plug almost all of the time is quite
remarkable given the movement and vibration of the lead just dangling
around in the vicinity of the cylinder head.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: busted spark-plug lead

<tbgqg1$3k0cr$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17412&group=aus.cars#17412

From: noth...@orthere.com (JONZ)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 22:44:48 +1000
 by: JONZ - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:44 UTC

On 7/23/2022 5:54 PM, Clocky wrote:
> On 23/07/2022 3:25 pm, veritas wrote:
>> Rainy afternoon, so I decided to change the spark plugs. One lead was
>> very hard to get off. I pulled them all by the rubber boots, but alas
>> I see the round metal clip still on one spark plug. So I have broken
>> the bloody thing. I pushed that metal back into the rubber boot with a
>> bolt, hoping that I could drive it 2 miles to Supercrap Auto for new
>> leads. And would you believe it? It runs smooth as a baby's bottom.
>> Happened to be the shortest lead, maybe that helped?
>
> HEI systems can jump quite a gap as long as the lead end is near the
> connector it will follow the least path to resistance which is likely to
> be the spark gap.
>
> On that note, I mowed the lawn with my pushy last week and noted it had
> a very slight misfire. Not having changed the plug in 15 years I thought
> it was probably overdue only to find the ceramic stuck in the plug lead
> - it had completely broken away from the rest of the plug. Must have
> knocked it or something.
>
> That the spark managed to jump from the center or the ceramic to the
> center of the remaining part of the plug almost all of the time is quite
> remarkable given the movement and vibration of the lead just dangling
> around in the vicinity of the cylinder head.
Mechanics 101....( didya manage all of that *without* ya $3000
super-dooper diagnostic device?. you *did*? good boi..) :):):):)