A dwarf is passing out somewhere in Detroit!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

SubjectAuthor
* Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayjeremy
+- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayChris
+- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayPaul Mackenzie Smith
`* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
 +* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
 |`- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayjeremy
 +- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayjeremy
 `* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayjeremy
  +* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
  |+* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
  ||+- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayjeremy
  ||`* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayAlan B
  || `- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
  |`* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayTheo
  | +* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
  | |`* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayTheo
  | | `- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayJaimie Vandenbergh
  | `- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayRJH
  `* Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayChris
   `- Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external displayjeremy

1
Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kj6h42F6998U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17501&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17501

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display
Date: 5 Aug 2023 08:55:30 GMT
 by: jeremy - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:55 UTC

Hi I have a 2015 macbook pro - still seems to be doing what it needs to for me
- I'm just setting up a new home office for myself and thought it was about
time that I got a decent external monitor and thought that a keyboard and
trackpad (or I suppose mouse) was in order - essentially so that I can run the
mbp with lid closed.

I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
is another method).

Looking for recommendations for monitor (large), keyboard and trackpad.

thx!
--
jeremy

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<ual4pi$1mnqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17504&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17504

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:29:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WzL5XdWiDbQNYDPvL99vhnrqxTI=
 by: Chris - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:29 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I have a 2015 macbook pro - still seems to be doing what it needs to for me
> - I'm just setting up a new home office for myself and thought it was about
> time that I got a decent external monitor and thought that a keyboard and
> trackpad (or I suppose mouse) was in order - essentially so that I can run the
> mbp with lid closed.
>
> I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
> is another method).
>
> Looking for recommendations for monitor (large), keyboard and trackpad.

In terms of monitors for me the sweetspot is 27" 1440p. I've got an HP Z27u
which also includes a USB-C hub.

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<MRQrGiOywGWhtRhgvtjsqgrCqDbgJxnh@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17505&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17505

Date: Sat, 05 Aug 23 09:45:29 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: pau...@bluepithyonder.co.uk (Paul Mackenzie Smith)
 by: Paul Mackenzie Smith - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:45 UTC

On 5 Aug 2023 at 09:55:30 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I have a 2015 macbook pro - still seems to be doing what it needs to for me
> - I'm just setting up a new home office for myself and thought it was about
> time that I got a decent external monitor and thought that a keyboard and
> trackpad (or I suppose mouse) was in order - essentially so that I can run the
> mbp with lid closed.
>
> I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
> is another method).
>
> Looking for recommendations for monitor (large), keyboard and trackpad.
>
> thx!

A left-field recommendation for a monitor: an Apple Thunderbolt Display!
Gorgeous colour quality, built like a brick outhouse (no flimsy plastic
here!), USB-A, Thunderbolt, Firewire 800 and Ethernet ports, and a built-in
charging cable for your MacBook Pro, and you can find good ones oneBay for
around £200, This is what I'm using on my M1 mini, along with an original
wired Apple extended keyboard and Magic Trackpad. Something to consider!

Paul

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kj6snaF82saU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17507&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17507

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 5 Aug 2023 12:13:30 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 12:13 UTC

On 5 Aug 2023 at 09:55:30 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I have a 2015 macbook pro - still seems to be doing what it needs to for me
> - I'm just setting up a new home office for myself and thought it was about
> time that I got a decent external monitor and thought that a keyboard and
> trackpad (or I suppose mouse) was in order - essentially so that I can run the
> mbp with lid closed.
>
> I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
> is another method).

Option left/right arrow

> Looking for recommendations for monitor (large), keyboard and trackpad.

If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
as USB3.

Trackpad I would very very much recommend the Apple ones, no one makes
trackpads like Apple. Try and avoid paying full price though, I bought
my last trackpad through eBay for about 25% normal price, but I got
lucky - they're usually 50%.

If you like the laptop keyboard then the Apple desktop keyboards are the
same but better. Unfortunately the fingerprint sensor on the latest ones
doesn't work with Intel Macs, but that means you can go for the older
cheaper keyboards. Full size gets you properly laid out arrow keys. Same
proviso as the trackpad, but the discounts are pretty shallow for
keyboards and going for a second hand one is kinda icky.

Mouse choice is much more personal than trackpad - I like the Apple ones
too (I'm a fingertip mouse user) but many don't. I'd suggest the
Logitech MX series as a great alternative, and they usually come with
thumb buttons/rollers you could set to flip desktops.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kj72nqF91c8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17508&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17508

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 5 Aug 2023 13:56:10 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:56 UTC

On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2023 at 09:55:30 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi I have a 2015 macbook pro - still seems to be doing what it needs to for me
>> - I'm just setting up a new home office for myself and thought it was about
>> time that I got a decent external monitor and thought that a keyboard and
>> trackpad (or I suppose mouse) was in order - essentially so that I can run the
>> mbp with lid closed.
>>
>> I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
>> is another method).
>
> Option left/right arrow

Ah - I'd customised it. Default is control left/right arrow. Also
control-1, control-2 etc.

I switched the meta-key to Option so I could do opt-arrow to flip
desktops on the laptop keyboard onehanded. That also applies to the
external small keyboards.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Atari 400

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kj735oF93edU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17509&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17509

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 5 Aug 2023 14:03:36 GMT
 by: jeremy - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:03 UTC

On 5 Aug 2023 at 14:56:10 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
>>> is another method).
>>
>> Option left/right arrow
>
> Ah - I'd customised it. Default is control left/right arrow. Also
> control-1, control-2 etc.

Ah! Thx - been using macs for around 10 years I should have been aware you
could do this!

--
jeremy

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kj73cmF94gcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17510&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17510

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 5 Aug 2023 14:07:18 GMT
 by: jeremy - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:07 UTC

On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2023 at 09:55:30 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi I have a 2015 macbook pro - still seems to be doing what it needs to for me
>> - I'm just setting up a new home office for myself and thought it was about
>> time that I got a decent external monitor and thought that a keyboard and
>> trackpad (or I suppose mouse) was in order - essentially so that I can run the
>> mbp with lid closed.
>>
>> I think I need the trackpad so that I can swipe between desktops (unless there
>> is another method).
>
> Option left/right arrow
>

>> Looking for recommendations for monitor (large), keyboard and trackpad.
>>

> If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
> recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
> cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
> flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
> speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
> as USB3.

Thanks - I'll look into that too.

> Trackpad I would very very much recommend the Apple ones, no one makes
> trackpads like Apple. Try and avoid paying full price though, I bought
> my last trackpad through eBay for about 25% normal price, but I got
> lucky - they're usually 50%.

Interesting and echoes what my brief ebay searching has thrown up so far. Need
to research a little more to ensure compatibility with my mbp.

> If you like the laptop keyboard then the Apple desktop keyboards are the
> same but better. Unfortunately the fingerprint sensor on the latest ones
> doesn't work with Intel Macs, but that means you can go for the older
> cheaper keyboards. Full size gets you properly laid out arrow keys. Same
> proviso as the trackpad, but the discounts are pretty shallow for
> keyboards and going for a second hand one is kinda icky.

OK
> Mouse choice is much more personal than trackpad - I like the Apple ones
> too (I'm a fingertip mouse user) but many don't. I'd suggest the
> Logitech MX series as a great alternative, and they usually come with
> thumb buttons/rollers you could set to flip desktops.

I reckon I can live without a mouse, been doing so for so many years now :)

--
jeremy

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkgp4tF1c6eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17692&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17692

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 21 Aug 2023 09:30:05 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 09:30 UTC

On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
> recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
> cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
> flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
> speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
> as USB3.

Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
the thing that will be most effective?

Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
owing to lack of knowledge!

The usage is jut general IT work - not gaming or high quality video or picture
editing. Just looking for something that will offer a crisp display.

A friend with a (modern) windows laptop has one of these and is recommending
it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BS1NYWKL

My system report tells me I have the following:

----
Intel Iris Graphics 6100:

Chipset Model: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID: 0x162b
Revision ID: 0x0009
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 1
Displays:
Colour LCD:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 2560x1600 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
Connection Type: Internal
----

Happy to receive additional comments - I'm ready to press the button on a
purchase up to £200 (and really just need to make a decision today!)

cheers :)

--
jeremy

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkgqm3F1j5gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17693&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17693

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 21 Aug 2023 09:56:19 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 09:56 UTC

On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:30:05 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>

>> If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
>> recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
>> cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
>> flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
>> speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
>> as USB3.
>
> Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
> x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
> the thing that will be most effective?
>
> Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
> over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
> owing to lack of knowledge!

It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.

You should be able to do higher res/frequency over the Thunderbolt2 port
with a MiniDP to Displayport cable, 4k@60 should just work fine there.
You'd need a 4k Displayport monitor for that which may not be in your
budget. I don't have a recommendation for one to hand.

> The usage is jut general IT work - not gaming or high quality video or picture
> editing. Just looking for something that will offer a crisp display.

"Crisp" may mean higher res. Once you go 'retina' it's hard to go back
to normal 27" 1080p screens, for sure... I'd suggest making sure you
order from somewhere you can return it.

> A friend with a (modern) windows laptop has one of these and is recommending
> it
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BS1NYWKL

Eh, it'll be okay and work on the HDMI port. I'd go for a Dell
Ultrasharp IPS if you're aiming for a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 HDMI,
they're better looking screens.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of
producing random digits is, of course, in a state

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkgqqrF1josU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17694&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17694

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 21 Aug 2023 09:58:51 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 09:58 UTC

On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:56:19 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:30:05 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>

>>> If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
>>> recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
>>> cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
>>> flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
>>> speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
>>> as USB3.
>>
>> Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
>> x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
>> the thing that will be most effective?
>>
>> Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
>> over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
>> owing to lack of knowledge!
>
> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.
>
> You should be able to do higher res/frequency over the Thunderbolt2 port
> with a MiniDP to Displayport cable, 4k@60 should just work fine there.
> You'd need a 4k Displayport monitor for that which may not be in your
> budget. I don't have a recommendation for one to hand.

Useful references:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-manually-switch-graphics.html#extdisplays
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/314891/can-i-do-4k60hz-with-my-early-2015-macbook-pro-retina

Cheers - Jaimie
--
To every complex problem there is a solution which
is simple, neat and wrong.

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkgrnuF1o53U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17695&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17695

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 21 Aug 2023 10:14:22 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:14 UTC

On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:58:51 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
>>> x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
>>> the thing that will be most effective?
>>>
>>> Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
>>> over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
>>> owing to lack of knowledge!
>>
>> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
>> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.
>>
>> You should be able to do higher res/frequency over the Thunderbolt2 port
>> with a MiniDP to Displayport cable, 4k@60 should just work fine there.
>> You'd need a 4k Displayport monitor for that which may not be in your
>> budget. I don't have a recommendation for one to hand.
>
> Useful references:
>
> https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-manually-switch-graphics.html#extdisplays
> https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/314891/can-i-do-4k60hz-with-my-early-2015-macbook-pro-retina
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Appreciate your thoughts, comments and links - many thanks Jaimie

--
jeremy

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<uc07ug$20bf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17698&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17698

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:46:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dUDwsccnt0SFDSOklF3uwayDyKY=
 by: Chris - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:46 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>

>> If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
>> recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
>> cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
>> flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
>> speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
>> as USB3.
>
> Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
> x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
> the thing that will be most effective?

If you're going 1080p I wouldn't go bigger than 24".

> Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
> over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
> owing to lack of knowledge!

I would certainly recommend 1440p over 1080p. The lower res just compares
so badly with the MBP's retina screen.

> The usage is jut general IT work - not gaming or high quality video or picture
> editing. Just looking for something that will offer a crisp display.
>
> A friend with a (modern) windows laptop has one of these and is recommending
> it
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BS1NYWKL
>

> My system report tells me I have the following:
>
> ----
> Intel Iris Graphics 6100:
>
> Chipset Model: Intel Iris Graphics 6100
> Type: GPU
> Bus: Built-In
> VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
> Vendor: Intel
> Device ID: 0x162b
> Revision ID: 0x0009
> Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 1
> Displays:
> Colour LCD:
> Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
> Resolution: 2560x1600 Retina
> Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)
> Main Display: Yes
> Mirror: Off
> Online: Yes
> Automatically Adjust Brightness: Yes
> Connection Type: Internal
> ----
>
> Happy to receive additional comments - I'm ready to press the button on a
> purchase up to £200 (and really just need to make a decision today!)

At that price you're probably limited to 1080p.

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<6vf*5Yroz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17705&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17705

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 22 Aug 2023 09:33:42 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:33 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.

That's very subjective. I used HDMI 4K@30Hz on my 2013 MBP and it was fine.
Slightly more jerky scrolling or mouse movement doesn't bother me - I didn't
really notice it.

> You should be able to do higher res/frequency over the Thunderbolt2 port
> with a MiniDP to Displayport cable, 4k@60 should just work fine there.
> You'd need a 4k Displayport monitor for that which may not be in your
> budget. I don't have a recommendation for one to hand.

It is possible to get Displayport to HDMI adapters, which claim to do
4K@60Hz, eg:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort-HDMI-Adapter-Converter-60Hz-Black/dp/B01M6WK3KU
(mDP to DP is just a passive cable on the end of that)

No experience personally.

One thing worth being aware of is that early 4K monitors used Displayport
MST (multi-stream), which is basically the monitor presenting as two
side-by-side screens. I don't think modern ones do that and the Mac can
drive a 4K@60 single stream, but worth paying attention if you see MST
mentioned anywere in case there's any weirdness going on.

Theo

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkjgd9FelmvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17707&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17707

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 22 Aug 2023 10:19:21 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:19 UTC

On 22 Aug 2023 at 09:33:42 BST, "Theo"
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
>> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.
>
> That's very subjective. I used HDMI 4K@30Hz on my 2013 MBP and it was fine.
> Slightly more jerky scrolling or mouse movement doesn't bother me - I didn't
> really notice it.

Gosh. I find it absolutely unusable, feels like the pointer is lagging
behind by half a second (which obviously it's not) but fair point!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
BANACH TARSKI is an anagram of BANACH TARSKI BANACH TARSKI

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<uc226m$2cd14$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17708&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17708

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:21:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:21 UTC

On 22 Aug 2023 at 09:33:42 BST, Theo wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
>> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.
>
> That's very subjective. I used HDMI 4K@30Hz on my 2013 MBP and it was fine.
> Slightly more jerky scrolling or mouse movement doesn't bother me - I didn't
> really notice it.

I've just noticed that the 28" IPS monitor I have on my Windows machine
(fairly old i3 using the onchip graphics) is running at 30Hz - not noticed any
problem.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<uc2e39$2e74m$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17714&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17714

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:44:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:44 UTC

On 2023-08-21, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:56:19 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
><jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On 21 Aug 2023 at 10:30:05 BST, "jeremy" <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
>>> x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
>>> the thing that will be most effective?
>>>
>>> Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
>>> over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
>>> owing to lack of knowledge!
>>
>> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
>> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.
>>
>> You should be able to do higher res/frequency over the Thunderbolt2 port
>> with a MiniDP to Displayport cable, 4k@60 should just work fine there.
>> You'd need a 4k Displayport monitor for that which may not be in your
>> budget. I don't have a recommendation for one to hand.
>
> Useful references:
>
> https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq/macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-manually-switch-graphics.html#extdisplays
> https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/314891/can-i-do-4k60hz-with-my-early-2015-macbook-pro-retina

Which ext monitor are you using with your M1 MBP? Still considering buying
a new M2 MBA or MBP with their larger screens but buying a monitor (and
keyboard) is obviously a cheaper option.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkk5b6FhsnlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17717&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17717

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 22 Aug 2023 16:16:38 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 16:16 UTC

On 22 Aug 2023 at 14:44:09 BST, "Alan B"
<alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Which ext monitor are you using with your M1 MBP? Still considering buying
> a new M2 MBA or MBP with their larger screens but buying a monitor (and
> keyboard) is obviously a cheaper option.

I'm running a Huawei MateView 28", it's 3:2 3840 × 2560 and does the
"one USB-C cable" trick. Larger than my prior iMac 27", excellent
picture, enough pixels to fool my aging eyes that it's full retina, has
an HDMI in port as well. I'm very pleased with it. I got it for £350 and
I feel it is good value for money.

It has a flaw: the onboard USB3 hub shows up and works as USB2 speeds on
the M1, for unknown reasons. Also the speaker in the stand is lower
quality than the speakers in the M1 MBP, so I just use those; macOS
remembers.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you mean 'am I serious about what I do', the answer is yes.
If you mean 'am I serious about how I do it', the answer is no.

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<5vf*Cmxoz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17721&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17721

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Aug 2023 10:08:01 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 09:08 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2023 at 09:33:42 BST, "Theo"
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> >> It looks like HDMI maxes out at 1920x1200@60Hz on the early 2015,
> >> anything higher-res will be 30Hz which is *awful* so don't do that.
> >
> > That's very subjective. I used HDMI 4K@30Hz on my 2013 MBP and it was fine.
> > Slightly more jerky scrolling or mouse movement doesn't bother me - I didn't
> > really notice it.
>
> Gosh. I find it absolutely unusable, feels like the pointer is lagging
> behind by half a second (which obviously it's not) but fair point!

That's not so much an inherent feature of 30Hz (at worst the extra frame lag
is 16ms), but can be due to display latency. Some displays (especially TVs)
have video processing which can buffer several frames, resulting in a lag of
hundreds of ms. This doesn't matter for TV (after all your Netflix is
likely buffering several seconds anyway) but is a problem for using them as
monitors, especially for tight feedback loops like pointer movement and FPS
gaming.

Sometimes it's possible to turn off the video processing - on Samsung TVs
you had to rename the input to 'PC' and magically the picture 'improvement'
mode was turned off, resulting in less lag.

Theo

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkm4l4Frf3qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17722&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17722

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Aug 2023 10:17:08 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 10:17 UTC

On 23 Aug 2023 at 10:08:01 BST, "Theo"
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> On 22 Aug 2023 at 09:33:42 BST, "Theo"
>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>>> That's very subjective. I used HDMI 4K@30Hz on my 2013 MBP and it was fine.
>>> Slightly more jerky scrolling or mouse movement doesn't bother me - I didn't
>>> really notice it.
>>
>> Gosh. I find it absolutely unusable, feels like the pointer is lagging
>> behind by half a second (which obviously it's not) but fair point!
>
> That's not so much an inherent feature of 30Hz (at worst the extra frame lag
> is 16ms), but can be due to display latency. Some displays (especially TVs)
> have video processing which can buffer several frames, resulting in a lag of
> hundreds of ms. This doesn't matter for TV (after all your Netflix is
> likely buffering several seconds anyway) but is a problem for using them as
> monitors, especially for tight feedback loops like pointer movement and FPS
> gaming.
>
> Sometimes it's possible to turn off the video processing - on Samsung TVs
> you had to rename the input to 'PC' and magically the picture 'improvement'
> mode was turned off, resulting in less lag.
>
> Theo

Not in my case *as far as I know* - three monitors including a 2005 Dell
that's too old to have any processing and modern LG OLED TV which has
known as-low-as-possible latency, multiple devices (Mac Mini, Raspberry,
Amiga through HDMI). I'm just super sensitive to it I think, which is
more a curse than a blessing. Same as I can still hear CRT flyback
whine.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Politicians are not born, they are excreted
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Re: Suggestions for keyboard / trackpad / external display

<kkrbe8Fo8u4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17740&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17740

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 25 Aug 2023 09:43:36 GMT
 by: jeremy - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:43 UTC

On 21 Aug 2023 at 18:46:56 BST, "Chris" <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5 Aug 2023 at 13:13:30 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>

>>> If you can't run to the extortionate price of the Apple 27", I'd
>>> recommend mine - it's a Huawei MateView 28", 3:2 display, one USB-C
>>> cable for video+power for the laptop. Does a great job with one annoying
>>> flaw: the builtin USB3 hub is recognised as a USB2 one with the slower
>>> speed by my M1. I've not got an Intel MBP to try; mrs' work Dell sees it
>>> as USB3.
>>
>> Just going back to this - my MBP is early 2015 Retina - has no use-c ports - 1
>> x hdmi - am I right in thinking that actually that a 1080p screen is actually
>> the thing that will be most effective?
>
> If you're going 1080p I wouldn't go bigger than 24".
>
>> Basically I can't work out if I will get a benefit if I go for a 1440p or 4k
>> over a 1080p - i don't want to find that I made a mistake after I purchase
>> owing to lack of knowledge!
>
> I would certainly recommend 1440p over 1080p. The lower res just compares
> so badly with the MBP's retina screen.
>
>> The usage is jut general IT work - not gaming or high quality video or picture
>> editing. Just looking for something that will offer a crisp display.
>>
>> A friend with a (modern) windows laptop has one of these and is recommending
>> it
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BS1NYWKL

<snip>

>> Happy to receive additional comments - I'm ready to press the button on a
>> purchase up to £200 (and really just need to make a decision today!)
>
> At that price you're probably limited to 1080p.

Made decisions - went to Currys and the helpfully let me look at a few 1080p -
27 & 32 inch - wasn't impressed. So it was a really useful exercise.

Final selection was:

- HP M27HQ (QHD which I think is the same as 1440p)
- Logitech MX Mini Keys for Mac (which can also switch between up to 3
devices)
- Apple Trackpad2 (brand new from ebay £75)

Very happy with the display quality using HDMI (which is all I have!) - but I
did up the budget to £250.

Thanks for all the contributions :)
--
jeremy