From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects
Date: 1 Mar 2022 13:39:44 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 13:39 UTC

The plums are coming into flower.
Well, the buds are starting to burst and you can see white tips.

I've tried to look up the expected date for flowering, but the usual
suspects don't seem to say.

Lots of enthusiasm for the flowers supporting insects, especially
butterflies, but I'm not seeing any at the moment in Suffolk.

So I'm wondering if they are flowering early, if the butterflies are late,
or if everything will happen like magic over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects

<svlfkn$vov$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1708&group=uk.rec.gardening#1708

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:55:03 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 15:55 UTC

On 01/03/2022 13:39, David wrote:
> The plums are coming into flower.
> Well, the buds are starting to burst and you can see white tips.
>
> I've tried to look up the expected date for flowering, but the usual
> suspects don't seem to say.
>
> Lots of enthusiasm for the flowers supporting insects, especially
> butterflies, but I'm not seeing any at the moment in Suffolk.
>
> So I'm wondering if they are flowering early, if the butterflies are late,
> or if everything will happen like magic over the next few weeks.

The latter.

Not seen my plums looking sexy yet, but I did see a butterfly.

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller

Re: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects

<svns8p$pr1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1709&group=uk.rec.gardening#1709

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 13:42:45 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 13:42 UTC

On 01/03/2022 13:39, David wrote:
> The plums are coming into flower.
> Well, the buds are starting to burst and you can see white tips.
>
> I've tried to look up the expected date for flowering, but the usual
> suspects don't seem to say.
>
> Lots of enthusiasm for the flowers supporting insects, especially
> butterflies, but I'm not seeing any at the moment in Suffolk.
>
> So I'm wondering if they are flowering early, if the butterflies are late,
> or if everything will happen like magic over the next few weeks.

Saw my first (tortoiseshell) butterfly yesterday in the warm sunshine in
North Yorkshire. Plenty of insects about but looked suspiciously like
small clouds of biting ones rather than pollinating ones. Peartree buds
are swelling nicely but no signs of flowers on plum or pear as yet here.

Daffodils just out and crocus, snowdrops and aconites in full bloom. The
odd bumble bee and honey bee around when it is nice and warm. It is grey
cold and miserable today so I hope they found somewhere cosy to hide.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects

<j9p0mtFcgp8U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1746&group=uk.rec.gardening#1746

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 20 Mar 2022 15:48:45 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:48 UTC

On Tue, 01 Mar 2022 13:39:44 +0000, David wrote:

> The plums are coming into flower.
> Well, the buds are starting to burst and you can see white tips.
>
> I've tried to look up the expected date for flowering, but the usual
> suspects don't seem to say.
>
> Lots of enthusiasm for the flowers supporting insects, especially
> butterflies, but I'm not seeing any at the moment in Suffolk.
>
> So I'm wondering if they are flowering early, if the butterflies are
> late,
> or if everything will happen like magic over the next few weeks.

Seems that I am not alone in my concerns.
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/19/plum-job-uk-public-
track-fruit-trees-climate-study-fruitwatch>

This seems like a worthy project to support.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects

<t17uj9$u90$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1748&group=uk.rec.gardening#1748

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:16:57 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:16 UTC

On 20/03/2022 15:48, David wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2022 13:39:44 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> The plums are coming into flower.
>> Well, the buds are starting to burst and you can see white tips.
>>
>> I've tried to look up the expected date for flowering, but the usual
>> suspects don't seem to say.
>>
>> Lots of enthusiasm for the flowers supporting insects, especially
>> butterflies, but I'm not seeing any at the moment in Suffolk.
>>
>> So I'm wondering if they are flowering early, if the butterflies are
>> late,
>> or if everything will happen like magic over the next few weeks.
>
> Seems that I am not alone in my concerns.
> <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/19/plum-job-uk-public-
> track-fruit-trees-climate-study-fruitwatch>
>
> This seems like a worthy project to support.

Slightly surprising. Up here in N Yorks there is some sloe blossom out
and a few pear trees are very close now but the plums are way behind!

My neighbours pear tree is fat flower buds almost out whilst the plum
tree hasn't got past swollen green buds. My own rather more tetchy
Japanese peartree is somewhere in between the two.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects

<t19jmr$ssn$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1749&group=uk.rec.gardening#1749

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 10:23:23 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 10:23 UTC

On 20/03/2022 19:16, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 20/03/2022 15:48, David wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Mar 2022 13:39:44 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> The plums are coming into flower.
>>> Well, the buds are starting to burst and you can see white tips.
>>>
>>> I've tried to look up the expected date for flowering, but the usual
>>> suspects don't seem to say.
>>>
>>> Lots of enthusiasm for the flowers supporting insects, especially
>>> butterflies, but I'm not seeing any at the moment in Suffolk.
>>>
>>> So I'm wondering if they are flowering early, if the butterflies are
>>> late,
>>> or if everything will happen like magic over the next few weeks.
>>
>> Seems that I am not alone in my concerns.
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/19/plum-job-uk-public-
>> track-fruit-trees-climate-study-fruitwatch>
>>
>> This seems like a worthy project to support.
>
> Slightly surprising. Up here in N Yorks there is some sloe blossom out
> and a few pear trees are very close now but the plums are way behind!

That is how it is for me, in west suffolk.

> My neighbours pear tree is fat flower buds almost out whilst the plum
> tree hasn't got past swollen green buds. My own rather more tetchy
> Japanese peartree is somewhere in between the two.

Ditto for my pears and plums

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Re: Plums coming into flower, but not much sign of insects

<135bdde5-9230-4300-8bb3-280f987dcd7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1752&group=uk.rec.gardening#1752

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 08:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan Ward)
 by: Jonathan Ward - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 15:01 UTC

On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 10:23:25 AM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 20/03/2022 19:16, Martin Brown wrote:

> >> Seems that I am not alone in my concerns.
> >> <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/19/plum-job-uk-public-
> >> track-fruit-trees-climate-study-fruitwatch>
> >>
> >> This seems like a worthy project to support.
> >
> > Slightly surprising. Up here in N Yorks there is some sloe blossom out
> > and a few pear trees are very close now but the plums are way behind!
> >
> That is how it is for me, in west suffolk.
> > My neighbours pear tree is fat flower buds almost out whilst the plum
> > tree hasn't got past swollen green buds. My own rather more tetchy
> > Japanese peartree is somewhere in between the two.
> >
> Ditto for my pears and plums
>

> --
> “it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
> (or environmental activism) is becoming a general ideology about humans,
> about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and
> the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a
> 'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,'
> a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for
> rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet
> things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
> you live neither in Joseph Stalin’s Communist era, nor in the Orwellian
> utopia of 1984.”
>
> Vaclav Klaus

Our almond and peach tree are covered in blossom and bees, so I am hopeful for this year.

Jonathan