From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Spiky dead Bamboo side Branches
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:38:14 +0100
 by: john west - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:38 UTC

After someone cut out a lot of dead Bamboo Canes, we have been given
them for growing some Runner Beans up.

They have a lot of dead long spiky 'side' branches, which are not good
for this purpose as they can easily poke people.

These side shoots can easily be trimmed back closer to the main upright
stem. But there is a some debate going on here as to how close we are
best to do it (to make them safer).

We would like to do it without making it much more difficult for the
beans to get a grip on their way up.

So what might be an ideal compromise? Would it be: 1,2,3 or 4 inches or
so ?

Re: Spiky dead Bamboo side Branches

<t2eh28$sii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1758&group=uk.rec.gardening#1758

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Spiky dead Bamboo side Branches
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:25:12 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:25 UTC

On 04/04/2022 11:38, john west wrote:

> After someone cut out a lot of dead Bamboo Canes, we have been given
> them for growing some Runner Beans up.
>
> They have a lot of dead long spiky 'side' branches, which are not good
> for this purpose as they can easily poke people.
>
> These side shoots can easily be trimmed back closer to the main upright
> stem. But there is a some debate going on here as to how close we are
> best to do it (to make them safer).
>
> We would like to do it without making it much more difficult for the
> beans to get a grip on their way up.
>
> So what might be an ideal compromise? Would it be: 1,2,3 or 4 inches or
> so ?

As short as possible, or the beans might try to grow along them rather
than up!

The beans will climb and grip, and even if they slip back a bit will
still stop at a node where the side shoots were. After all, when you
grow beans up purchased bamboo canes there are no side shoots at all on
those, and I assume that's what most people use.

--

Jeff

Re: Spiky dead Bamboo side Branches

<t2ffi4$u0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1761&group=uk.rec.gardening#1761

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:05:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:05 UTC

In article <t2eh28$sii$1@dont-email.me>,
Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>The beans will climb and grip, and even if they slip back a bit will
>still stop at a node where the side shoots were. After all, when you
>grow beans up purchased bamboo canes there are no side shoots at all on
>those, and I assume that's what most people use.

I use twine, which doesn't even have nodes. Yes, they have a tendency
to wander off, and need retwining, but that's a separate matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.