The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it. -- Abbie Hoffman

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

SubjectAuthor
* How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!David Brooks
+* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!Snit
|`- Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!Jörg Lorenz
+* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!David Brooks
| `* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!Snit
|  `* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!David Brooks
|   `* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!Snit
|    `- Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!Charlie Glock
`* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!David Brooks
 `* Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!FromTheRafters
  `- Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!David Brooks

1
How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17530&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17530

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Subject: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 22:19:59 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 21:19 UTC

How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't, with Thomas Reed: Lock and Code
S04E16

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196cd718252d54fb5693c1a932fd77

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<VurAM.351933$xMqa.298395@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17539&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17539

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 13:33:41 GMT
 by: Snit - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 13:33 UTC

On Aug 7, 2023 at 2:19:59 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad>:

> How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't, with Thomas Reed: Lock and Code
> S04E16
>
> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196cd718252d54fb5693c1a932fd77

MS is more focused on keeping older software working. This DOES have
benefits... but it comes with risks and limitations.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<ub4gpn$cpa5$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17571&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17571

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 07:26:15 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 05:26 UTC

Am 11.08.23 um 07:18 schrieb Gremlin:
> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> news:VurAM.351933$xMqa.298395@fx12.iad
> Tue, 08 Aug 2023 13:33:41 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On Aug 7, 2023 at 2:19:59 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad>:
>>
>>> How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't, with Thomas Reed: Lock and Code
>>> S04E16
>>>
>>> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d219
>>> 6cd718252d54fb5693c1a932fd77
>>
>> MS is more focused on keeping older software working. This DOES have
>> benefits... but it comes with risks and limitations.
>
> We all realize you're attempting to show technical expertise and the
> associated intelligence. So, rather than provide as generic and vague as
> you possibly could reply; why not give David some specific details?
>
> What are the benefits?
> Why is MS focused on backwards compatability (that's what we call it in
> the industry, Snit; you're welcome)
>
> What are the risks and limitations you refer to?
>
> You want people to assume you actually know wtf you're writing about, So
> let's see if you actually can discuss this.

Learn to filter and stop your arrogant bullshitting.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<ub4gqg$cpa5$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17572&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17572

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 07:26:40 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 05:26 UTC

Am 11.08.23 um 07:18 schrieb Gremlin:
> David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org>
> news:3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:19:59 GMT in
> alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't, with Thomas Reed: Lock and Code
>> S04E16
>>
>> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196
>> cd718252d54fb5693c1a932fd77
>>

> Can you give us a short summary in your own words?

Arrogant asshole.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<28mBM.167738$ens9.78967@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17575&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17575

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:17:01 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:17 UTC

On 11/08/2023 07:42, Gremlin wrote:
> v=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_Lorenz?= <hugybear@gmx.ch>
> news:ub4gqg$cpa5$2@solani.org Fri, 11 Aug 2023 05:26:40 GMT in
> alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> Am 11.08.23 um 07:18 schrieb Gremlin:
>>> David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org>
>>> news:3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:19:59 GMT in

> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196
>>>>

>>> Can you give us a short summary in your own words?
>>
>> Arrogant asshole.
>
> Asking David Brooks, a well known stalking fucking troll, if he can
> provide the gist of the content of the url in his own words is being an
> Arrogant asshole how exactly? Again, I do realize English isn't your first
> language, but, that's not going to suffice as an excuse to cover for the
> claims about me that you've made here.
>
> So far, you've come to Snits defense over something I wrote as well as
> David Brooks defense. Both times, referring to me as an Arrogant asshole,
> or arrogant bullshit.
>
> I think you have the wrong target for your comments concerning Arrogance,
> and bullshit as well, but, I'm more than willing to humour you and discuss
> your comments in greater detail if you'd like to do so? You are capable of
> supporting what you've written here, right? You aren't going to pull a
> snit or a David and backtrack over the claims you've made about me in
> their defense, are you?

Haha! :-D You've just confirmed that you ARE one, Dustin!

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<fxoBM.238375$Fgta.14015@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17581&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17581

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 12:00:27 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 11:00 UTC

On 11/08/2023 06:18, Gremlin wrote:
> David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org>
> news:3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:19:59 GMT in
> alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't, with Thomas Reed: Lock and Code
>> S04E16
>>
>> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196
>> cd718252d54fb5693c1a932fd77
>>

> Can you give us a short summary in your own words?

Of course! :-D

The Secure Enclave is a dedicated secure subsystem integrated into Apple
systems on chip (SoCs). The Secure Enclave is isolated from the main
processor to provide an extra layer of security and is designed to keep
sensitive user data secure even when the Application Processor kernel
becomes compromised. It follows the same design principles as the SoC —
a Boot ROM to establish a hardware root of trust, an AES engine for
efficient and secure cryptographic operations, and protected memory.
Although the Secure Enclave doesn’t include storage, it has a mechanism
to store information securely on attached storage separate from the NAND
flash storage that’s used by the Application Processor and operating system.

You may familiarise yourself here:-

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec59b0b31ff/1/web/1

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<ub5cho$rs2g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17593&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17593

From: FTR...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:19:45 -0400
 by: FromTheRafters - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 13:19 UTC

David Brooks explained :
> On 11/08/2023 06:18, Gremlin wrote:
>> David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org>
>> news:3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:19:59 GMT in
>> alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>>
>>> How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't, with Thomas Reed: Lock and Code
>>> S04E16
>>>
>>> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196
>>> cd718252d54fb5693c1a932fd77
>>>

>> Can you give us a short summary in your own words?
>
> Of course! :-D
>
> The Secure Enclave is a dedicated secure subsystem integrated into Apple
> systems on chip (SoCs). The Secure Enclave is isolated from the main
> processor to provide an extra layer of security and is designed to keep
> sensitive user data secure even when the Application Processor kernel becomes
> compromised. It follows the same design principles as the SoC — a Boot ROM to
> establish a hardware root of trust, an AES engine for efficient and secure
> cryptographic operations, and protected memory. Although the Secure Enclave
> doesn’t include storage, it has a mechanism to store information securely on
> attached storage separate from the NAND flash storage that’s used by the
> Application Processor and operating system.

Which of those words were yours?

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<bRqBM.107829$X02a.70962@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17594&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17594

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:38:15 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 13:38 UTC

On 11/08/2023 14:19, FromTheRafters wrote:
> David Brooks explained :
>> On 11/08/2023 06:18, Gremlin wrote:
>>> David Brooks <David.B@nomail.afraid.org>
>>> news:3edAM.564103$GMN3.353678@fx16.iad Mon, 07 Aug 2023 21:19:59 GMT in

>>> Can you give us a short summary in your own words?
>>
>> Of course! :-D
>>
>> The Secure Enclave is a dedicated secure subsystem integrated into
>> Apple systems on chip (SoCs). The Secure Enclave is isolated from the
>> main processor to provide an extra layer of security and is designed
>> to keep sensitive user data secure even when the Application Processor
>> kernel becomes compromised. It follows the same design principles as
>> the SoC — a Boot ROM to establish a hardware root of trust, an AES
>> engine for efficient and secure cryptographic operations, and
>> protected memory. Although the Secure Enclave doesn’t include storage,
>> it has a mechanism to store information securely on attached storage
>> separate from the NAND flash storage that’s used by the Application
>> Processor and operating system.
>
> Which of those words were yours?

"Of course"! ;-)

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<JesBM.167742$ens9.75186@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17602&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17602

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:13:45 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:13 UTC

On Aug 11, 2023 at 1:17:01 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<28mBM.167738$ens9.78967@fx45.iad>:

> On 11/08/2023 07:42, Gremlin wrote:
>> v=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_Lorenz?= <hugybear@gmx.ch>
>> news:ub4gqg$cpa5$2@solani.org Fri, 11 Aug 2023 05:26:40 GMT in
>> alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

>> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196

>>> Arrogant asshole.
>>
>> Asking David Brooks, a well known stalking fucking troll, if he can
>> provide the gist of the content of the url in his own words is being an
>> Arrogant asshole how exactly? Again, I do realize English isn't your first
>> language, but, that's not going to suffice as an excuse to cover for the
>> claims about me that you've made here.
>>
>> So far, you've come to Snits defense over something I wrote as well as
>> David Brooks defense. Both times, referring to me as an Arrogant asshole,
>> or arrogant bullshit.
>>
>> I think you have the wrong target for your comments concerning Arrogance,
>> and bullshit as well, but, I'm more than willing to humour you and discuss
>> your comments in greater detail if you'd like to do so? You are capable of
>> supporting what you've written here, right? You aren't going to pull a
>> snit or a David and backtrack over the claims you've made about me in
>> their defense, are you?
>

> Haha! :-D You've just confirmed that you ARE one, Dustin!

He seems incapable of stopping.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<JysBM.359426$xMqa.297591@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17606&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17606

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Davi...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 16:35:04 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:35 UTC

On 11/08/2023 16:13, Snit wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2023 at 1:17:01 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <28mBM.167738$ens9.78967@fx45.iad>:
>
>> On 11/08/2023 07:42, Gremlin wrote:
>>> v=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_Lorenz?= <hugybear@gmx.ch>
>>> news:ub4gqg$cpa5$2@solani.org Fri, 11 Aug 2023 05:26:40 GMT in

>>> https://open.spotify.com/episode/3CKxd0xcrpLkqtyDsVeNZZ?go=1&sp_cid=d2196

>>> Asking David Brooks, a well known stalking fucking troll, if he can
>>> provide the gist of the content of the url in his own words is being an
>>> Arrogant asshole how exactly? Again, I do realize English isn't your first
>>> language, but, that's not going to suffice as an excuse to cover for the
>>> claims about me that you've made here.
>>>
>>> So far, you've come to Snits defense over something I wrote as well as
>>> David Brooks defense. Both times, referring to me as an Arrogant asshole,
>>> or arrogant bullshit.
>>>
>>> I think you have the wrong target for your comments concerning Arrogance,
>>> and bullshit as well, but, I'm more than willing to humour you and discuss
>>> your comments in greater detail if you'd like to do so? You are capable of
>>> supporting what you've written here, right? You aren't going to pull a
>>> snit or a David and backtrack over the claims you've made about me in
>>> their defense, are you?
>>

>> Haha! :-D You've just confirmed that you ARE one, Dustin!
>
> He seems incapable of stopping.

He prefers the animosity, or so it seems.

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<7VsBM.46586$KIcf.36975@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17608&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17608

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:58:59 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:58 UTC

On Aug 11, 2023 at 8:35:04 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<JysBM.359426$xMqa.297591@fx12.iad>:

> On 11/08/2023 16:13, Snit wrote:
>> On Aug 11, 2023 at 1:17:01 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <28mBM.167738$ens9.78967@fx45.iad>:

>>> Haha! :-D You've just confirmed that you ARE one, Dustin!
>>
>> He seems incapable of stopping.
>
> He prefers the animosity, or so it seems.

Right. He thrives on conflict... and seeing himself as a victim.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: How Apple fixed what Microsoft hasn't!

<%8yBM.241907$Fgta.58318@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17616&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17616

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: "Charlie...@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:57:15 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:57 UTC

On 2023-08-11, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 2023 at 8:35:04 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
><JysBM.359426$xMqa.297591@fx12.iad>:
>
>> On 11/08/2023 16:13, Snit wrote:

>>> He seems incapable of stopping.
>>
>> He prefers the animosity, or so it seems.
>
> Right. He thrives on conflict... and seeing himself as a victim.

That sounds more like you snit.
<https://web.archive.org/web/20190529043314/http://cosmicpenguin.com/snitlist.html>

"6- George Graves: "Jason. You have started an argument with
the Snit (AKA Michael Glasser), this should not be done. He
will drive you crazy with his twisted logic, his deep-rooted
need to be ALWAYS right at any cost. He will move goalposts,
set up strawmen, and bore you into submission with his endless
pedanticism. The only way to engage him is to hit and run. NEVER
engage him, it's a futile, empty procedure that will only anger
you and feed him. Take my advice and STAY AWAY!" 27 Oct 2004"

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"