Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:38:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Rafiq facing ECB probe over anti-Semitic messages
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 11:38 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/21/azeem-rafiq-facing-ecb-probe-anti-semitic-messages/

Azeem Rafiq facing ECB probe over anti-Semitic messages
Exclusive: In latest twist in cricket’s racism crisis, the ECB confirms it will take action against Rafiq for sending the messages in 2011

ByJeremy Wilson, CHIEF SPORTS REPORTER
21 November 2021 • 3:21pm
Azeem Rafiq facing ECB probe over anti-Semitic messages
Azeem Rafiq appeared in front of the DCMS committee earlier this week CREDIT: PA
Azeem Rafiq is facing an investigation by the England & Wales Cricket Board over the exchange of messages with another cricketer in which he used anti-Semitic slurs.

In the latest twist in cricket’s racism crisis, the ECB has confirmed it will take action against the former Yorkshire off-spinner following his apology last week for sending the offensive messages in 2011, when he was 19.

Rafiq had referenced a Derbyshire player, Atif Sheikh, being reluctant to spend money on a meal out because “he is a jew”. He added that Sheikh would “probs go after my 2nds [second helping of food] again ha”, adding: “Only Jews do tht [sic] sort of s---.”

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/21/azeem-rafiq-facing-ecb-probe-anti-semitic-messages/

RH