* UNIX is a Trademark of Bell Laboratories.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: And now for some cricket

SubjectAuthor
* And now for some cricketmike
`* Re: And now for some cricketJohn Hall
 `* Re: And now for some cricketmax.it
  `* Re: And now for some cricketmike
   `* Re: And now for some cricketDavid North
    `* Re: And now for some cricketJohn Hall
     `* Re: And now for some cricketmike
      `* Re: And now for some cricketRH
       +- Re: And now for some cricketDavid North
       `* Re: And now for some cricketmike
        `- Re: And now for some cricketmax.it

1
And now for some cricket

<7d789e56-b2e5-4051-a152-e5fe38853786n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17579&group=uk.sport.cricket#17579

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 08:44:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: And now for some cricket
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:44 UTC

Well the Ashes warmups at least. It would be more interesting
if England played the Oz B team, although they would probably
flatten us, so the Lions are def a easier proposition first up.

I notice that Carse joins the miserable list of injured fast bowlers
as hes gone home without playing a match, add him to Jofra,
Mills, and Stone [who is thinking about retiring from the longer
format if his screws fall out] it makes a sorry trend. Maybe
its a curse.

But the lead in to this ashes series has been pretty tawdry, what
with the oz skip being a dick, and the outing of all the racists and
anti semites in the english game. Maybe this Ashes series is
cursed.

mike

Re: And now for some cricket

<69es+tCljTnhFwS2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17583&group=uk.sport.cricket#17583

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: And now for some cricket
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:54:29 +0000
 by: John Hall - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:54 UTC

In message <7d789e56-b2e5-4051-a152-e5fe38853786n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Well the Ashes warmups at least. It would be more interesting
>if England played the Oz B team, although they would probably
>flatten us, so the Lions are def a easier proposition first up.

I think the problem on recent tours has been the reverse, that seriously
weak teams have been put up for England to play. Hence the decision to
have intra-squad warn-up games this time, made easier because I believe
the England Lions are also ion Australia.

>I notice that Carse joins the miserable list of injured fast bowlers
>as hes gone home without playing a match, add him to Jofra,
>Mills, and Stone [who is thinking about retiring from the longer
>format if his screws fall out] it makes a sorry trend. Maybe
>its a curse.

Was he in the Lions squad rather than the Test squad, as I don't
remember him being part of it?

>But the lead in to this ashes series has been pretty tawdry, what
>with the oz skip being a dick, and the outing of all the racists and
>anti semites in the english game. Maybe this Ashes series is
>cursed.

And Root has also been drawn into the racism fray, having said a week or
so ago that he hadn't been aware of any racism at Yorkshire. Apparently
all the England players have since been told not to say anything to the
media about racism. One worries that Root is going to be distracted by
all this, which can't help England's chances.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: And now for some cricket

<lemqpgdn68a22p6ia97srtp4t9tluk5udr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17584&group=uk.sport.cricket#17584

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:16:39 +0000
 by: max.it - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:16 UTC

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:54:29 +0000, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <7d789e56-b2e5-4051-a152-e5fe38853786n@googlegroups.com>,
>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>Well the Ashes warmups at least. It would be more interesting
>>if England played the Oz B team, although they would probably
>>flatten us, so the Lions are def a easier proposition first up.
>
>I think the problem on recent tours has been the reverse, that seriously
>weak teams have been put up for England to play. Hence the decision to
>have intra-squad warn-up games this time, made easier because I believe
>the England Lions are also ion Australia.
>

>>I notice that Carse joins the miserable list of injured fast bowlers
>>as hes gone home without playing a match, add him to Jofra,
>>Mills, and Stone [who is thinking about retiring from the longer
>>format if his screws fall out] it makes a sorry trend. Maybe
>>its a curse.
>
>Was he in the Lions squad rather than the Test squad, as I don't
>remember him being part of it?
>

>>But the lead in to this ashes series has been pretty tawdry, what
>>with the oz skip being a dick, and the outing of all the racists and
>>anti semites in the english game. Maybe this Ashes series is
>>cursed.
>
>And Root has also been drawn into the racism fray, having said a week or
>so ago that he hadn't been aware of any racism at Yorkshire. Apparently
>all the England players have since been told not to say anything to the
>media about racism. One worries that Root is going to be distracted by
>all this, which can't help England's chances.

There's so much off field shit in the air that the break in the middle
might do both teams some good.

max.it

Re: And now for some cricket

<48365e33-a2f9-4f71-bd54-9795963bcf60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17585&group=uk.sport.cricket#17585

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:45:43 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 21:45 UTC

On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 at 9:16:43 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:54:29 +0000, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In message <7d789e56-b2e5-4051...@googlegroups.com>,
> >mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >>Well the Ashes warmups at least. It would be more interesting
> >>if England played the Oz B team, although they would probably
> >>flatten us, so the Lions are def a easier proposition first up.
> >
> >I think the problem on recent tours has been the reverse, that seriously
> >weak teams have been put up for England to play. Hence the decision to
> >have intra-squad warn-up games this time, made easier because I believe
> >the England Lions are also ion Australia.
> >

> >>I notice that Carse joins the miserable list of injured fast bowlers
> >>as hes gone home without playing a match, add him to Jofra,
> >>Mills, and Stone [who is thinking about retiring from the longer
> >>format if his screws fall out] it makes a sorry trend. Maybe
> >>its a curse.
> >
> >Was he in the Lions squad rather than the Test squad, as I don't
> >remember him being part of it?

probably, but my understanding is that its all a bit mix n match
between the 2. i see Bess is playing for the lions and i thought
he was in the test squad. but with carse out, they should try
to bring in at least 1 genuine quick, maybe garton or milnes.

> >>But the lead in to this ashes series has been pretty tawdry, what
> >>with the oz skip being a dick, and the outing of all the racists and
> >>anti semites in the english game. Maybe this Ashes series is
> >>cursed.
> >
> >And Root has also been drawn into the racism fray, having said a week or
> >so ago that he hadn't been aware of any racism at Yorkshire. Apparently
> >all the England players have since been told not to say anything to the
> >media about racism. One worries that Root is going to be distracted by
> >all this, which can't help England's chances.
> There's so much off field shit in the air that the break in the middle
> might do both teams some good.

true but i posted too soon, looks like its gonna rain in brisbane for the
next 10 days! as i said, this series is cursed...

mike

Re: And now for some cricket

<5cc0926c-028b-4c2c-b6b0-efd8e4c8deb4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17596&group=uk.sport.cricket#17596

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 05:36:41 -0800 (PST)
From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:36 UTC

On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 21:45:44 UTC, mike wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 at 9:16:43 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> > >
> > >Was he in the Lions squad rather than the Test squad, as I don't
> > >remember him being part of it?
> > >
> probably, but my understanding is that its all a bit mix n match
> between the 2. i see Bess is playing for the lions and i thought
> he was in the test squad.

Yes, and likewise Lawrence, while Foakes, Fisher and Crane are in the England team despite not being in the squad.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452/england-squad-1282349/series-squads
--
David North

Re: And now for some cricket

<nyMwH+AY0mnhFwhN@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17601&group=uk.sport.cricket#17601

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:49:28 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:49 UTC

In message <5cc0926c-028b-4c2c-b6b0-efd8e4c8deb4n@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 21:45:44 UTC, mike wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 at 9:16:43 PM UTC, max.it wrote:

>> probably, but my understanding is that its all a bit mix n match
>> between the 2. i see Bess is playing for the lions and i thought
>> he was in the test squad.
>
>Yes, and likewise Lawrence, while Foakes, Fisher and Crane are in the
>England team despite not being in the squad.
>
>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452/england-sq
>uad-1282349/series-squads

I understand that the players who were in the T20 WC are still in
quarantine, so neither Buttler nor Bairstow would have been available.
So unless they gave Pope the gloves (and it's a long time since he last
kept), then Foakes pretty much had to keep.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: And now for some cricket

<01e3150c-ef39-48a5-a5c1-194f8eb81954n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17622&group=uk.sport.cricket#17622

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:21:20 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 15:21 UTC

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 4:56:13 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <5cc0926c-028b-4c2c...@googlegroups.com>,
> David North <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

> >> probably, but my understanding is that its all a bit mix n match
> >> between the 2. i see Bess is playing for the lions and i thought
> >> he was in the test squad.
> >
> >Yes, and likewise Lawrence, while Foakes, Fisher and Crane are in the
> >England team despite not being in the squad.
> >
> >https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452/england-sq
> >uad-1282349/series-squads
> I understand that the players who were in the T20 WC are still in
> quarantine, so neither Buttler nor Bairstow would have been available.
> So unless they gave Pope the gloves (and it's a long time since he last
> kept), then Foakes pretty much had to keep.

well that match been abandoned due to the weather. according to the BBC
it might stop raining in brisbane on the 3rd december. i hope that isnt the
case, becos they will be terribly short of match practice before the test
whereas kwaja marnus etc have been scoring 100s.

mike

Re: And now for some cricket

<85044b8a-a4c1-446f-996a-65467ea2111dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17623&group=uk.sport.cricket#17623

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:54:37 -0800 (PST)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 15:54 UTC

On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 3:21:24 PM UTC, mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 4:56:13 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> > In message <5cc0926c-028b-4c2c...@googlegroups.com>,
> > David North <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

> > >Yes, and likewise Lawrence, while Foakes, Fisher and Crane are in the
> > >England team despite not being in the squad.
> > >
> > >https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452/england-sq
> > >uad-1282349/series-squads
> > I understand that the players who were in the T20 WC are still in
> > quarantine, so neither Buttler nor Bairstow would have been available.
> > So unless they gave Pope the gloves (and it's a long time since he last
> > kept), then Foakes pretty much had to keep.
> well that match been abandoned due to the weather. according to the BBC
> it might stop raining in brisbane on the 3rd december. i hope that isnt the
> case, becos they will be terribly short of match practice before the test
> whereas kwaja marnus etc have been scoring 100s.
>
> mike

There are two more games before the first test, viz:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452

MON, 29 NOV, 11:30 PM
Tour Match, Brisbane, Nov 30 - Dec 3 2021, The Ashes
ENG Flag
ENG

Match yet to begin

TUES, 30 NOV, 11:30 PM
Brisbane, Dec 1 - 3 2021, The Ashes
TBA

Match yet to begin

RH

Re: And now for some cricket

<j0ad7dFor7sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17627&group=uk.sport.cricket#17627

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:23:56 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:23 UTC

On 25/11/2021 15:54, RH wrote:
> On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 3:21:24 PM UTC, mike wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 4:56:13 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <5cc0926c-028b-4c2c...@googlegroups.com>,
>>> David North <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>> I understand that the players who were in the T20 WC are still in
>>> quarantine, so neither Buttler nor Bairstow would have been available.
>>> So unless they gave Pope the gloves (and it's a long time since he last
>>> kept), then Foakes pretty much had to keep.
>> well that match been abandoned due to the weather. according to the BBC
>> it might stop raining in brisbane on the 3rd december. i hope that isnt the
>> case, becos they will be terribly short of match practice before the test
>> whereas kwaja marnus etc have been scoring 100s.
>>
>> mike
>
> There are two more games before the first test, viz:
> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452
>
> MON, 29 NOV, 11:30 PM
> Tour Match, Brisbane, Nov 30 - Dec 3 2021, The Ashes
> ENG Flag
> ENG
>
> Match yet to begin
>
> TUES, 30 NOV, 11:30 PM
> Brisbane, Dec 1 - 3 2021, The Ashes
> TBA
>
> Match yet to begin

The second of those (which is concurrent with the last 3 days of the
first) is between two Aus teams.

--
David North

Re: And now for some cricket

<b76622d0-1396-4229-9302-9aa44796f082n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17628&group=uk.sport.cricket#17628

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:25:52 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:25 UTC

On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 3:54:38 PM UTC, RH wrote:
> On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 3:21:24 PM UTC, mike wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 4:56:13 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> > > In message <5cc0926c-028b-4c2c...@googlegroups.com>,
> > > David North <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

> > > I understand that the players who were in the T20 WC are still in
> > > quarantine, so neither Buttler nor Bairstow would have been available.
> > > So unless they gave Pope the gloves (and it's a long time since he last
> > > kept), then Foakes pretty much had to keep.
> > well that match been abandoned due to the weather. according to the BBC
> > it might stop raining in brisbane on the 3rd december. i hope that isnt the
> > case, becos they will be terribly short of match practice before the test
> > whereas kwaja marnus etc have been scoring 100s.
> >
> > mike
> There are two more games before the first test, viz:
> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452
>
> MON, 29 NOV, 11:30 PM
> Tour Match, Brisbane, Nov 30 - Dec 3 2021, The Ashes
> ENG Flag
> ENG
>
> Match yet to begin
>
> TUES, 30 NOV, 11:30 PM
> Brisbane, Dec 1 - 3 2021, The Ashes
> TBA
>
> Match yet to begin
>
> RH

theyre gonna play 2 matches at the same time? i spose they
have enough players in the 2 squads to do it. hopefully butler
and bairstow, wood etc will be free from quarantine by then,
and maybe the rain will have stopped.

mike

Re: And now for some cricket

<gn60qg90mia1al2hg2je8n2v0sd4onearp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17630&group=uk.sport.cricket#17630

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 23:25:25 +0000
References: <7d789e56-b2e5-4051-a152-e5fe38853786n@googlegroups.com> <69es+tCljTnhFwS2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <lemqpgdn68a22p6ia97srtp4t9tluk5udr@4ax.com> <48365e33-a2f9-4f71-bd54-9795963bcf60n@googlegroups.com> <5cc0926c-028b-4c2c-b6b0-efd8e4c8deb4n@googlegroups.com> <nyMwH+AY0mnhFwhN@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <01e3150c-ef39-48a5-a5c1-194f8eb81954n@googlegroups.com> <85044b8a-a4c1-446f-996a-65467ea2111dn@googlegroups.com> <b76622d0-1396-4229-9302-9aa44796f082n@googlegroups.com>
 by: max.it - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 23:25 UTC

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:25:52 -0800 (PST), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 3:54:38 PM UTC, RH wrote:

>> > well that match been abandoned due to the weather. according to the BBC
>> > it might stop raining in brisbane on the 3rd december. i hope that isnt the
>> > case, becos they will be terribly short of match practice before the test
>> > whereas kwaja marnus etc have been scoring 100s.
>> >
>> > mike
>> There are two more games before the first test, viz:
>> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2021-22-1263452
>>
>> MON, 29 NOV, 11:30 PM
>> Tour Match, Brisbane, Nov 30 - Dec 3 2021, The Ashes
>> ENG Flag
>> ENG
>>
>> Match yet to begin
>>
>> TUES, 30 NOV, 11:30 PM
>> Brisbane, Dec 1 - 3 2021, The Ashes
>> TBA
>>
>> Match yet to begin
>>
>> RH
>
>theyre gonna play 2 matches at the same time? i spose they
>have enough players in the 2 squads to do it. hopefully butler
>and bairstow, wood etc will be free from quarantine by then,
>and maybe the rain will have stopped.
>
>mike

No, Henderson has got his matches muddled up. Brisbane is Australia
intra-squad game.

max.it